Masters Running

Saturday, March 9 running around (Read 34 times)

Mariposai

Wake up sleepy heads. It is Saturday and it is going to be a marvelous day!

Happy belated birthday to the birthday twins Holly and Marj! May both of your lights keep shining. Have fun and keep celebrating life as you do!

Saturday is just wrapping up for us in this land of the raising sun. Today is our last full day in Japan. We sure have learned to enjoy and truly appreciate what this great country has to offer. The politeness and warmth of the people, the food, the cultural heritage sites, the marathon, the transit system, the calmness manner in which daily life is conducted on the street, even in transit stations like Shibuya where over one million people a day pass through with so much order and calmness will be always imprinted in our hearts with fond memories.

Here are a few of our favorite pictures (sorry for the photo dump).

May be an image of 11 people and Fushimi Inari Taisha

May be an image of 9 people and Fushimi Inari Taisha

May be an image of 2 people and lake

May be an image of Fushimi Inari Taisha

May be an image of 7 people and castle

May be an image of castle

May be an image of text

Children's Peace Museum near the Hiroshima Bombing hypocenter.

May be an image of 2 people and the Atomium

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

BTY

Wow, thanks for that one-in-a-million and once-in-a-lifetime start, Mariposai.   Amazing!!

I'm getting ready to go off to a breakfast with other men at my church.  It should be interesting with an intriguing speaker.   DW and I )mostly her of course) recently took over the "Seasonal Decor" ministry there and when I'm there I try to see what we should be doing for each season that might not be suggested in the synod's website for colors throughout the church year.   My wife is a genius with such things and I mostly lift things and put them down but I'd like to have more creative input some day.  The folks from whom we inherited the ministry are mostly no longer around (hence, giving it up) but have not left much in the way of instructions.   It's good that I'm involved as it helps to work a different part of my brain, I think.

Mostly, today will be cleaning up the joint, awaiting DW's return from her mom's.  We were lighthearted joking about how every time her mom hits her head, she comes back stronger and shows signs of her younger self.  Something about an adrenaline rush maybe.  Maybe the three stooges were actually on to something.  When she gets back this afternoon, we'll be aheading out to a gourmet pizza place we haven't ever been to for sit down and haven't been to for takeout in almost 30 years.   We're taking a friend of ours whose wife passed of cancer back in the late summer/fall.   She was one of DW's dearest friends.

Yesterday was a very difficult day for me.  The separation from my wife every week has grown old over these several years.  Of course I don't want anything to happen to her mother that would end the weekly trips for her, but it has been hard and is getting harder for me.  I don't think it's hard for her.  If it is, she doesn't let on.  We have three or four days together and three or four days apart every week.  Then at around dinner time, DD and Magdalena stopped by and Magdalena stayed with me for a little while, while her mommy ran to the store.  It was a wonderful unexpected bright spot in my day.  DD said that Maggie had been crying a lot and was dealing with her first diaper rash, but while she was with me she was all smiles and I got some laughs out of her and out of me.  Magical.

coastwalker

Mornin' Masters.

Thanks for the start and great photos, Mariposai. I'm glad you two are making the most of your time in Japan, and I hope you have an easy flight home.

I'm sorry for all your stresses, BTY, at church, and at home with your DW away so much while taking good care of her mom. Interesting about how her mom rebounds after her falls, but that sure isn't a recommended path forward. I'm glad Magdalena kept you company for a while last night, and I hope you and DW have a great time together at the pizza place.

I enjoyed your photos yesterday, Steve, but I have to admit I liked the shots of the kids more than those of the squirrels.

We got a call last night from a nephew who is moving from NY to Maine (he's just bringing up a trailer-full of stuff this weekend), wanting to know if he can stay with us tonight, and of course he can. We're going out to dinner with a friend, so we invited the nephew to come along with us, which will be great. I'll see him in the morning, but will probably leave before him 'cause I have a 5K that I registered for a while back. I'll be jealous of him and my DW sharing our usual Sunday jazz breakfast.

Last night, the Senate passed a spending bill that the House had also voted for a couple of days earlier. All that is left is for Biden to sign it (or maybe he has already), and I can't imagine that he won't. Included in that bill is a Congressionally Designated Spending (CDS) proposal that our non-profit submitted last year. Our proposal was for a suite of projects with a budget of $1.4 million over three years. We've never gotten anywhere near that much funding before, so we're tremendously excited and tremendously nervous because now we'll have a lot more work to do.

After a quasi-decent night's sleep, I got out on time for 8.1 RW miles in 30° temps, followed by 30 minutes of stretching and weights. It was probably too many miles, given that I have a race tomorrow, but it's not a goal race so I'm not too worried about it.

Have a greta Saturday.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Love Steve's and Mariposai's pictures.  Agree about the grandkids being superior to the squirrel, but that's good that the squirrel will have a safe home!    The Japan trip sounds wonderful.

BTY- I know it's a lot and it's disruptive.  I'm sure it is hard on your wife, too, but she feels like she has no choice so she is just sucking it up and doing what she needs to do.  Stay strong and it isn't forever.

It was going to be raining this morning- mainly- so I didn't go to the 6:30 group start.  It stopped in time for me to go over to the route and start at 7:30 and I saw them all on their way back.  It was damp and gloomy- 52 degrees- but I did more than planned and got 9.2 miles.  If I had run with everyone I probably would have tried to do 10, but I didn't.  Went to Dunkin afterwards for a hot Macha Latte and an apple fritter the size of a softball.  We have our last Vandy basketball game today and it will be sad to say goodbye to some of our seniors.  It's not been a good season and I'm still fighting with people (always a good idea, right...) about the coach, who I support.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

mrrun

Posie - wonderful pics

jay - good luck tomorrow

walked 4 miles with my walking buddies - so good to ketchup after 2 weeks away.  Only problem - it’s cold 30 degrees colder than Florida

onward to more of the stuff that got ignored while we were away

have a great weekend

marj

Looks like you had a wonderful time, Mariposai!  Thanks for the pics.

BTY--hope you find some resolution to the situation.

Steve--wonderful wildlife pics.

Jay--good news on the funding. All spending does trickle down to make a difference.

I have not heard the new beyoncé country album....Can't women just be talented without having to look like prostitutes?

I'm with you on the lack of clothes (Give me Billie Ellish fashions any day. ). Beyonce's not exactly my cup of tea but the woman can write an ear-worm (Texas Hold'em) and she'll prompt a whole younger generation of folks to reconsider country music--especially people of color who've been historically marginalized by the industry. That can only be healthy. It's not her first venture. Her "Daddy Lessons" from 2016 has a harmonica, whiskey, rifles, Bibles, the second amendment, and "Daddy"--what could be more country?  She's really just the most prominent of a whole wave of recent black artists reinvigorating country/Americana/Roots music (whatever you want to call it). Some are more traditional, some genre-bending (Rhiannon Giddons, Rissi Palmer, Adia Victoria and many others). But it definitely ruffles feathers in an industry often built on white nostalgia. My former colleague wrote an interesting piece a few years ago about how Jason Isbell's been one of the few folks who've actively worked to be a bridge between white mainstream country and these new artists. All kinds of creativity there. Enjoy.

As expected, my Caps off-loaded some contracts--though fewer than many expected--and collected some draft picks, likely to be cashed-in over the summer for some younger talent. Most notably, we unloaded Kuznetzov to North Carolina. He's a highly talented center who scored perhaps the most important goal in Caps history (an OT game winner to eliminate the Penguins the year the Caps won the cup. Unfortunately, he has a cocaine habit. 

I have time to talk country music and hockey because, once again, we're getting inundated with rain and I'm wimping out of my run. Our yard has become like a giant sponge; it squishes and sinks when you walk around. The grass is growing like crazy but I can't put my lawn tractor on that for a while; I'll sink.   I sure hope this pattern let's up soon.

Be safe. Be kind.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Steve - I don't know how many miles away you took Mr. Squirrel or how many mountain ranges, rivers and lakes to cross to get back but, based on my similar transplantings, good luck anyway, 

Wow, thanks for that one-in-a-million and once-in-a-lifetime start, Mariposai.   Amazing!!

BTY - for sure.

Even though it was already getting light at 6:00 am as it's been doing as we progress more-and-more into March (until tomorrow when it goes back to 7:00 am again), I thought I was dreaming about reliving so many familiar places the Mariposai's managed to squeeze in in their two weeks in Japan.

1. Fushimi Inari Taisha Shrine down by Kyoto, established in 711 (by the same monk who established the 750 mile pilgrimage over on Shikoku Island I hope to finish someday) with its 10,000+ red tori gates that, with main shrine from 1499 and a midway noodle shop featuring herring my Scandinavian heritage make me like and the traditional footwear stall for pilgrims often already all kimonoed up for their shrine visits as in Posie's pic with hakama leggings and haori jackets but usually reserved for New Year's, graduations, etc., make it impossible to progress up to the top without many stops. However, you usually have to get quite a ways up to get a view through the gates without thousands of tourists too. Good job.

2. Kinkakuji Golden Temple viewpoint across the famed reflecting pond that DW and I stood in wonder of what, at one time, became a retirement home for a famous shogun over its 628 year history (1398), 

3. Himeji Temple the largest in Japan and so white it's aka "The White Heron Castle," just the same as when completed in 1609 and gives tourists (that would have been us too) samurai and kimono outfits for souvenir pics).

4. Hiroshima - I thought I knew all I needed to know about Hiroshima from my father and uncle who were in the Aleutian and Pacific theaters, respectively, so assiduously avoided the Japanese side over the years until, finally, on a more recent trip went down there with DW and was almost immobilized in sadness same as the Vietnam Memorial in WDC but now at a shine for children mostly who burned to death trying to jump into the Motoyasu River and others instead of growing up like me.  Definitely a count-your-blessings experience.

Have a restful travel back and many more chapters of your unique perspectives.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Dave59

Great pictures Mariposai. (I visited the Nagasaki Peace Museum when I visited Japan.)

6.11 miles in a steady rain this morning.

Now I am alternating working (programming), house cleaning, and watching the Sabres/Oilers game.

Texas Hold 'Em holds no danger of becoming an ear worm for me. Seems like the radio plays the song multiple times per hour but it hasn't grown on me yet.

I think Darius Rucker and Kane Brown were a little ahead of Beyonce.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

dnaff

Thanks Mariposai for the pictures and your perspective.  You have had an amazing trip.

l have spent most of the last few days riding the Amtrak ; NW Illinois through Chicago, NW Indiana, and finally into south central Michigan.  It is the most relaxing way to travel to my daughter’s house.  

Anneb just how much darn rain did you get?  I got drenched between Union Station and OTC.  And every little town westbound seemed to be swimming.

anyway, back at it today because that was a lot of sitting.  I’m going to warm up with some yoga and then see where it leads.

Dave59

My father was listening to Charlie Pride 50-60 years ago.

My father was listening to Charlie Pride 50-60 years ago.

Yeah, mine did too. He was a real pioneer who put up with so many indignities. Early in his career, they wouldn't even put his picture on any promo material to radio stations because they knew his songs wouldn't get played in many places because he was Black. There's a nice mention of him in a Rolling Stone piece from a few years back.

I don't know much about Brown but I know Rucker faced much of the same racism Pride had a generation (or two) earlier, including being told to his face by country radio station managers that they wouldn't play his music because he was Black. He kept quiet about all the racism he's faced until coming out during the Black Lives Matter movement  saying "It's no longer alright for me to perpetuate the myth that things are okay" and hoping his speaking out could be a little push for change.

I'm not a big fan of either of these guys' music but you gotta respect their perseverance in the face of ignorance. Good stuff.

Be safe. Be kind.

Marathon Maniac #957

Love them both!

Nancy - Love the pics!

So, while the Covid has been over for a week or so, DH and I are still dealing with phlegmy crap and sinus crap that makes us feel sort of crappy, even though we are not really sick still.   SO, we are basically still taking it easy and being lazy around the house.  I did a lot of housework stuff this morning, and we did go to the grocery, but other than that we have been chilling and watching cooking shows.  

I got in about 45 minutes of weights and core.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Dave59

Holly - The lingering COVID carp seems to drag on and on. Hope it doesn't last too much longer.

Lots of good racing at the college indoor championships. What did I ever do before YouTube?

Back when I was a kid and my father listened to country music. I didn't like any of it: Conway Twitty, Glen Campbell, Charlie Pride, Buck Owens, etc. But now when I hear some of it, it wasn't that bad after all.

Mariposai - thanks for sharing your pics and your journey with us!!

Steve - those grandbabies sure are the best!!

BTY - glad Magdalena could cheer you up, hope things settle down at church and with your DW's travel but she is doing important stuff as I am sure I am just saying what you already know

Jay - nice run today, enjoy your 5k tomorrow

KSA - glad you missed the rain

Marj - always nice to ketchup with friends even if it is a lot colder here

Dave - 611 was my house number growing up, so 6.11 miles has a sweet spot in my heart

Country music and hockey are two things not in my wheelhouse so I can't add to the conversation

Holly - hope you and dh get rid of the "crap" soon

4 bouncy miles before work this morning - the weather went from 31 degrees at my house when I drove to Boston to a more pleasant 41 degrees for my run (well according to my car anyway) Garmin said it was 37degrees while I was running, but either way no wind or rain made for a pleasant run today!!

denise