Masters Running

Fridaily 4/5 (Read 37 times)

bioguy

Good morning Masters...

I just popped in to say my ortho cleared me to resume running again, so I have no miles to report today, but lookout tomorrow. I might even get in 3!!

Have a wonderful Friday.

Good News bio

just remember

if it hurts when you DoDat

Don't DoDat//////////

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Tom - for sure, hurts is bad

but, though I wouldn't know,

otherwise "no pain, no gain."

I've always tried to emulate Mike

in my running but so far, no good

so, with the steady rains finally

arrived, I thought I'd try Twocat's

RR#1 so switched to the fitness room

instead of going out and getting

all wet and miserable.

So far, so good.

Besides, the rains have brought

this year's marvelously extended

cherry blossom viewing season

to a graceful conclusion so might.

as well stay inside anyway.

Thank you weather gods.

However, in addition to Twocat too,

I miss RCG's swampland outings

that remind me of getting down

to the lakeside out here.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Dave59

3 miles this morning. Seems like the power is back off in parts of the neighborhood because the generators were running again. I didn't hear any of them on my walk yesterday so I assumed the power was back on but now I question that assumption.

Tomorrow I plan to run down by the Ohio River. It will reach flood stage in Huntington tomorrow morning so it will be a site to behold. The river has to flood to well above flood stage in Huntington to cause any issues. It has to be quite a bit above flood stage before they close the flood wall. But it will still be something to see.

I had a pretty good run today in my oldest pair of shoes, Brooks Glycerin 20s. I even went up all the hills I usually walk some. It was slower than my run 2 days ago with the magic Hokas but still not bad. I have to assume my biorhythms are high this week.

Tramps

Thanks for the start, bioguy. Glad you'll be back on the road running.

Good to see wannaberunner pop in!  Racing with a tendon tear, though?

Steve--what does OSHA have to say about bunny heads in the workplace?

TW--my two older brothers still get together every year for a week in the Fall to go deer hunting. The one that still lives in my hometown maintains a small hunting camp owned by extended family that's situated on timber company-owned land. I spent a lot of time up there as a kid.

Given the spacing, I read tet's post as a prose poem.

Dave--locally, the Rappahannock's looking pretty gnarly these days, too.

Did I mention hockey is a stupid sport?

Beautiful sunshine and blue skies but chilly (upper 30s) and quite windy (~20 mph) for our ride. 22-ish miles. Still a fair amount of water in the roads at various places. The cumulative effect of all these bits of rain has been a soggy Spring.

Have a great weekend.

Be safe. Be kind.

I look my best blurry!

Tramps-Yeah I know.  Orthopedic doc gave me the OK to run until I can’t.  Then have surgery.  I wear orthotics and I actually feel pretty good.  My old racing shoes are a no go even with the orthotics.  I am searching for a stabile racing shoe that works with orthotics.  Seems crazy but I don’t have any swelling or pain when I run.  I am a little sore if I go too fast so I typically don’t even try to be the old me.  It’s my posterior tibialis tendon.  The tear isn’t complete but almost.  I used to be a forefoot running but not anymore.

Marathon Maniac #957

Howdy folks.

Bio - glad to see you back. Remind me - what did you hurt?

WannaB - I have strained that tendon a number of times, but not torn it, to my knowledge.

Tramps - I like the Advance Directives for Dementia.  Too many people avoid that topic, as if speaking about it will make it happen.  I have told both my kids for years, "If I get to the point where don't know you anymore, STOP TREATING MY AILMENTS.  Give me pain relief, of course, if I need it, but otherwise stop all meds for diabetes, high blood pressure, or anything else I may have at that point.  Let nature take its course, don't artificially prolong my life once my mind is gone.

I have been trying to make Fridays my swimming days, but today was the first dry morning all week, and at 40°, not too bad.  A little breezy, but dry at least.  3 miles total.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Hey friends - 5.2 miles today with some of the SS crew since we missed our Thursday morning run (stupid snow)

Did some stretching then some shopping with Mom.

MIkeE - prayers of thanksgiving for nephew

Aging parents - definitely not easy. Having my mother here all week has given me a new appreciation of what my sister deals with on a daily basis and I can see why she has been losing her patience.

Nothing else too exciting - hope all the ouchies are healing well!!

denise

Thanks, Bio, and happy to hear your good news!  4 miles for me this morning and it felt pretty terrible.  Hopefully, my dumb 5K with no age groups will go better tomorrow.

Rabbit just came out with their first shoe- and claims great new technology.  Mine came today and they feel good out of the box.  Plenty roomy!

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

wildchild

Carolyn

Bio, good luck with the run tomorrow!  Hope it goes well!

Dave, happy to hear about the favorable biorhythms!  Or magic shoes, or whatever!  I'm curious how the flood wall works there?

Tet, I also miss RCG's swampland outing descriptions.  Nothing like that around here.

Wannaberunner, good to see you posting!  I doubt if any of us even "try to be the old me."  But as long as we're still out enjoying whatever we can still do, it's all good.

Karen,  I looked up those new Rabbit running shoes.  Glad you like them so far!  Do you suppose they'll come out with a trail shoe next?

I met 3 friends for an 8 mile trail run this morning. It was warm and sunny - shorts weather!  Actually it was mostly a 4 mile hike uphill, then a 4 mile run back down - wheee!   There were a few snowy sections where the trail is in shade, but most of it was dry.  After the run I met DD and my grandson for lunch in Golden. I haven't seen them for a couple weeks since they've both had RSV, but they're better now.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

40s and Cold wind

...40-min at city park........2-lb trailboots, 1-lb hndwgts

==========

tet//..........even though my brothers and I grew up hunting, we all stopped after our 40s

and

my middle brother and I just Target Shoot

like I told Claire when we started Fishing-

Fishing is a sport where you can Decide to kill or not what you hunt

we

always did Catch and Release

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

WildChild-  I just walked the dog in the Rabbit shoes.  I think they are going to be good.  They feel sort of like a Hoka Clifton, but have a plate in the middle of the shoe.   In our group they said (Rabbit) that they used a top notch testing lab.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

tet//........Pi pieven though my brothers and I grew up hunting, we all stopped after our 40s . . ..

Tom - same with me but only until my early 30's when I took 7 and 8 yo, respectively, DS and DD rabbit hunting up a nearby trail where, about halfway up, DS pointed out one sitting motionless on the trail up right in front of us looking right at us when, as i went down on one knee for a proud dad sure shot, heard a kind of whimpering and looked at DD who was crying at the thought of taking out the cute little guy. I haven't fired a shot ever since but DS went on to high school duck hunting that i'd been doing there 25 years before but now raises chickens instead. Incidentally, it was the same trail where my marathon mentor (when I wasn't rabbit hunting) was running with her son and grandson some fifteen years later when she and her son were mauled and killed by a brown bear while the grandson barely escaped up a big cottonwood.

Tramps - thanks! Never expected that but, for sure, today's post is a little too verticalized but, with my old 2007 Thinkpad laptop finally fading out of commission, even though I've been working on making my sentences shorter, i can usually only read the first couple of words of some of them on my cell phone so sometimes do extra line breaks to help me see on the one screen what's actually going to be posted and then revert them to regular length but, because today was kind of busy with four outside issues at different places around town, including one place where I went through a metal detector with my new metalized right knee that set off a much louder alarm than what the fishhook in the left calf has ever done, I never got back to it.  However your "prose poem" was worth it. Thanks again.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)