Masters Running

Thursdaily, 4.18.24 (Read 37 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' Masters.

Yes, a different kind of a workout, Tramps, but still good cross-training.

Nice 4.1 miles in warm 72° temps, Holly. $419 to see a comedian? Is that a joke? It only begins to work if it includes a hotel room and dinner for two.

Good timing on the "go for a run" text, bioguy. Good work on the Turtle Swift release. Ant it is good that you have some options as you move into retirement (or partial retirement).

Nice 4.2 on the TM, KSA. Sorry about the ongoing overnight issues with RE, but it seems that you are dealing with them as well as possible. Good luck with your hand surgery today. I refuse to admit that poor sleep is an age-related 'given'.

Good PT (anteed-up) and strength work, Leslie. I'm glad the butt is holding on.

Nice library walk, Enke, with a hand weight of sorts on the way there. Good luck and have fun, whatever you decide to do tomorrow.

Good 3 miler in butt-kicking wind, anneb.

I'm glad you got your knee work done, Tet. Keep it up (the activity - and maybe the knee too, at times).

Nice pre-commute 3 miler, Dave. Did they recognize you at the office?

Good 3 miler, Maiposai. Sounds like you are getting your groove back.

Take care of that knee, Surly Bill. I don't think anyone would/could accuse you of slacking.

Good 4.3 miles Steve. How are those workouts feeling these days?

I finally got a good night's sleep last night, with some magnesium oil on my feet. I still don't know if it does anything or if it is a placebo effect, and I don't know if I really care if it allows me to sleep better. I got out of bed at 4:45 and was out the door at 5 for 6.15 RW miles in 45° temps as the rising sun oranged the sky. I started out moderately easy and kept working at it and was huffing and puffing by the time I got back, and wound up with a nice negative split workout.

Have a greta Thursday.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Thanks, Jay.  Glad you slept well.

3.4 miles this morning- very humid.  I have to head off to my hand (cyst) surgery now.  Ken is going on his bike ride and will come get me afterwards.  I hope they don't give me sh$$ because he isn't there the whole time.

See you on the other side.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Marathon Maniac #957

KSA - why do you need a driver?  Are they going to use general anesthesia?

I got really good sleep a couple of nights in a row because I chewed a marijuana gummy at bedtime.  They are fairly weak dosages, but do work pretty well as a sleep aid.  Just not something I want to get in the habit of.  They are kind of expensive and I don't actually like the buzz.  But, I guess I will keep them in the cupboard for those nights when I have had several nights of poor sleep and really really want to make up for it.

DH and I are doing a 4 day getaway to Panama City Beach this Sat - Tues.  We got free flights via FFM and through AirBNB got a condo right on the beach for $345 total for 3 nights - sweet!  Given the cheap rate, I read the reviews carefully, but while they say that the building is kind of dated, the apartment is clean and the bed is comfortable.  I really don't need any more than that.

3.7 miles for me today in a crisp 52 degrees.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

It’s not general anesthesia. It’s like you get with a colonoscopy.  I’m sure I would be fine to drive and probably will drive my truck home once Ken springs me!  I’m only about 3 miles from home. I’m hungry! Waiting to go back.

Good sleep is SO important, no matter a person's age, so I'm glad both Jay and Holly got theirs.  I feel like I'm also back in the swing of sleeping good (knock on wood).  Part of is I've made my mind that I don't try and stop The Hub from snoring, I just leave and go sleep in the other room with Sam.

KSA's probably already under, so hope the recovery goes well. Happy eating on the other side!

Surly - What's with the knee?  Tell it to behave.

3 predawn miles this a.m. with PT after.  I'm gonna up my mileage this weekend - by a whole mile! - so we'll see how it goes.

The sun was just coming up as I turned on to my street after my street this morning.  I saw 2 small figures on the side of the road and thought it was Tucker about to go after a neighbor cat.  Nope, 2 foxes.  We knew we had 1 hanging around.  From what I could tell, they looked about the same size, so maybe a male and female(?).  Is this the time of year they get together to have babies?  I don't relish having a den of foxes in the neighborhood because I'm guessing they won't hesitate to take down a cat, but there's not much we can do about it.  I have no idea where they're coming from given where we live.  They sure are pretty.

Leslie
            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

I finally got a good night's sleep last night, . . . .

I got out of bed at 4:45 . . ..

Only our Jay could say that's a good sleep.

Dave - or as Surly would say, "Redwings epicaricacy."

Running back and forth between the front and side windows as the high rises projected the early dawning reflecting the faux sunrise back at us through the former until the real one came up over the Cascades from the latter. Only 42F, though, so will do Dr. Torture 's PT routine up in the downtown/Olympics view fitness room prior to it warming up to the midsixties for a stroll around to the several frame shops in the area for some of her prints that've been itching for a showing since our move already back in last dummer.

KSA - actually, operated hand doesn't sound that safe for driving. Is it a manual?

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Finished and waiting for Ken.  Just a little drowsy.

Marathon Maniac #957

Karen - glad you are on the other side of it.  Surprises me that they even did twilight sleep for it.  Was it pretty extensive?

Surly Bill - cool set - don't fall!

Tet - I love where you live!

I bought 8 little annuals at Lowe's on Sunday, pretty little violas in various shades of purple and gold and white and lavender.  My plan is to put them in a couple of big pots on my front step.  I stopped at lunch to buy two larger petunias to be the center of each pot, with 4 of the violas around them.  We are not past the danger of frost (they say May 12 is when we should be past it) but if we get a freezing night, I can put a sheet over them.  What I did NOT think about was the fact that I have to trust DD to water them for 4 days.  Yikes. She has managed to kill a number of my flowers through inattention while I have been out of town.  I will water them Saturday, then I think put two big pitchers of water by the front door with labels on them, "This is for Sunday" and "This is for Monday."  We get home Tuesday, so hopefully they will live that long.  

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

BTY

Hi all, rest day for me after a nice strength workout and swim workout yesterday as well as a half-day "off" from work to so some stockade fence repair.  I replaced the two postes that I had pulled out of the ground a week or so ago, and the old panels seem to be holding so far.  Eventually I have to replace all of the panels but I think that'll be ajob for several sunny days in a row later this spring.  No stopping/startng with this unsettled weather pattern we can't break out of.

When I went to the Red Cross Blood Drive at the YMCA on Tuesday, I was deferred due to my Blood Pressure being too high.   It was high the first time and I told her that within 5 minutes it should be good.  But for the second reading it was 150 / 102.  They're only allowed to check it twice.  SO I figured this would be a good time to start checking it in the morning again.  Yesterday it was 120/80 after I remembered how to use the new wrist strap monitor.  Today though it was up again, around 140/90, high for me for the morning hours, so I am going in to the cardiologist this afternoon to see if something is up (besides both the Systolic and Diastolic).    I tend to think that the BP was high Tuesday due to several factors including a 45-minute bumper-to-bumper rush hour drive from downtown after work to the YMCA - should have only taken 15 - 20 minutes.  But, good time to get everything checked, just in case.   I answered "no" to all of the questions the nurse asked when I was making my appointment - good thing or they probably would have sent an ambulance.  After the appointment I have to get home and feed the dogs and then get to the church food pantry for distribution.   Nothing scheduled after that, though, so it'll probably be a nice quiet evening at home.  I need more of them in my life.

May be an image of hospital

Well, they go down to the bone to remove the cyst, and I guess it's better if you aren't experiencing the whole thing!  I trust Vanderbilt.   It's hard to type!

Yikes KSA - hope your recovery is smooth!!
                        Jay - thanks for the excellent recaps the last couple days - really helps me ketchup!!

Steve - that Norah is so darn cute!!

Dave - my commute is the least favorite part of my day too, sorry

Surly - hope you knee starts feeling better

Last night must have been the night for good sleep - I went to sleep by 9:30 and woke up 2 hours later for a bathroom break and felt like I had already slept a solid night but was able to fall right back to sleep!! When my alarm went off at 5:10 I felt quite refreshed!!

Yesterday - just walked the route between the garage and the hospital before and after work

Today - 2.4 miles with a friend then another 4.1 miles with the SS group - have to work all weekend so won't be able to get in a long run until Monday. I am planning on getting up early enough to run 4 before work on Saturday - hopefully everything will line up nicely.

Happy Thursday!!

denise

anneb

Glad the surgery is over, KSA. Northwestern is very strict about the whole having someone to leave with you after colonoscopy... it's somewhat annoying. No, I'm not ever going to drive myself, but I have done it 3 times in the last 2 years and I know I would be fine to get my own Uber home. They actually won't even start the procedure until they talk to your person. I guess they have their reasons...

Good workouts to all who have posted so far.

I also slept well last night and my Garmin said body battery was at 100 this morning - that hardly ever happens! I got up and did a 30 minute endurance ride. I may try and get in a walk this afternoon (was hoping to go outside to the riverwalk, but looks like it could rain any time). We'll see...

Anne

Marathon Maniac #957

so it'll probably be a nice quiet evening at home.  I need more of them in my life.

Maybe that would be the key to the lower BP readings!  

Karen - that does look like a bit of an ordeal....hopefully your residual pain will be light.

AnneB - I think that in this day and age of Uber and Lyft, etc., they should just let you sign a waiver and leave.  I mean, if you are not actually driving and  you are signing a waiver promising that you are not driving, they should just let you go.  Jeesh!

I am going to try to get by without the Percocet.  I'll try the Advil/Tylenol combination.  Percocet makes me sick and I hate the way I feel.  The big problem is that it is hard to type since the wrap is so big.  So-be prepared for mistakes.

It's definitely a liability issue if they let you leave on your own after anesthesia.  This was so light and I was fine, but Ken didn't want me to drive so we just now went back for my truck.  The surgical center got a kick out of the fact that he was out on a long bike ride but WOULD show up to take me home!

anneb

KSA - Will you be able to run tomorrow?

Anne