Masters Running

Tuesday 2 January 2024 (Read 38 times)

Where is everyone?  I'll kick us off.  Steve- great pictures and glad you finally got to have Christmas with everyone.  Love the shirts.  Lots of good reports yesterday and pictures.  Check them out if you missed them.

7.1 miles for me over on the path.  I stuck very carefully to low heart rate because I really need some easier running.  As a result, it felt pretty decent.  Mainly sunny and about 34 to start.

Ken drove himself to PT- his first driving since November 15.  He has to take the boot off to do it, which is OK.

Football-  boy, I didn't pick either one of the college playoff games correctly.

Catch y'all later.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Thanks for the start, KSA. Almost double-started; glad I checked again before hitting “new topic.”

Marj—impressive ice sculpture!

Carolyn—your group run pics always make me smile. And all that snow!

Steve—loved the flannel shirts!

TW—bummer about the pool. How deep is your bathtub?

I thought this was an interesting essay on the distinction between “empathy” and “compassion.” I’m not sure I totally agree with the piece but it made me think.

5 miles for me—more or less. My Garmin battery was dead (oops) but I know the routes so well I can piece together a 5-miler easily.  Crisp sunny morning in the 30s, which would be IRC weather but there was also a steady wind making it feel chilly. I almost wished I’d put long running pants on.  A pretty big flock of starlings flew by and settled in the trees alongside our road.  They may have been laughing at me; they sure made a racket.

Ease back into the post-holiday “normal” routines this week.

Be safe. Be kind.

Hi-Dee Ho, Friends -

It looks like everyone made it through New Years festivities.

Loved the pics of Steve's family Christmas.

Except for a few moments on FB over the weekend, I took a hiatus from the computer.  A friend gave us a puzzle for Christmas, and The Hub and I enjoyed spending time working on it together.  We don't do things like that nearly enough, so I may be dragging out 2 others I have stashed.

We stayed up until about 11:00 New Years Eve, but did so because we were watching movies - "The Last Right" and "The Burial" (based on a true story) - both of which I highly recommend.  We watched them on Prime, but they may be available elsewhere.

I kept up on upper body and core work, but am still having issues with what I believe is ischial bursitis, so I'm going to contact the doctor who did my hamstring surgery and see if he or someone in his practice deals with that issue.  Getting into anyone up here would take months (literally), which means by the time I got a diagnosis and help, I could pretty much kiss my plans for the year goodbye.

Happy New Year, Friends!!!

Leslie
        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

I was away after Christmas at the cabin. Been reading here but not posting.

We didn't do much as it rained far more than even predicted at the cabin. Nearly all day, nearly everyday. Which caused a bit of cabin fever.

We did go to the local pub on New Year's Eve afternoon to watch the Seahawks lose.

Didn't see the UW Huskies game last night but will have to find a way to watch the finals.

I didn't run at all, just some short walks, as the knee was still making a little noise once in awhile, but less and less each day. It's on the outside lower part and the twinges seem to emanate from the fibula- tibula junction. I recall a similar issue years ago during high mileage, and it just went away on its own.

I did go for a quick steep mountain hike up about 800 feet and down without problems.

So I am thinking about a walk-jog today. Garmin has me as "detraining" now, which bugs me! I want to get that cardio back that I had been building up.

Hope the healing continues for everyone!

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Marathon Maniac #957

Howdy folks.

Anyone seen Dave?

Leslie - how frustrating for you to have to wait months for an appointment.

I'm back at work today, but none of the attorneys are here, so it's kind of quiet.  I always feel a little bluesy post holiday.  Time to find something else to focus on.

No run for me today.  Instead, I went back to bed for an hour after DH got up.  I'll probably do some weights when I get home.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

I'm pretty much back in the groove with a lot of mini-projects on tap for January. Putting the holiday stuff back where it goes in the under-stairs storage is pretty much a project in itself!

Leslie, we enjoyed The Burial with its really good cast and also because one of my old running friends is the funeral director here in town. Interestingly, he's held onto his "family owned" status long after his local competitor sold out to one of those big firms.

Tet (and enke?) - You got your wish: Washington vs Michigan in the big game next Monday. I was afraid it would start too late for me to stay up for it, as yesterday's late game did, but I heard that it starts at 7:30 EST, so I might actually make it.

I rode 17.6 miles on the trainer this morning and got a good workout with a continual up-and-down elevation profile in Swedish Lapland.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Roch - for sure.  Yippee!

Tramps - I missed the Great Lakes one but liked Joan Rivers’ 1,756 Tramp’s jokes.*

Even though both the Universities of Michigan and Washington gave favored opponents Alabama and Texas four downs and goal to go to step across to goal line to seal a win in their respective playoff games in the last minute, unlike when the Seahawks let the New England Patriots beat them in a similar, but failed, goal line matchup in the last seconds of Superbowl XLIX on February 1, 2015 that these university playoffs are going to be a giant step in helping  me finally get over, if ever, the UM and UW defenses fended off four goal line plays each and will play each other next Monday for the national championship. Tickets for their finale are already selling for $1,000 - $5,000 and, with Washington unceremoniously junking the Big Twelve to join Michigan’s Big Ten conference, tickets for their first regular conference meet up on October 5, 2024 in Seattle are already going for $364 - $1,900.

*polo players tire out their houses so much that they use up to a dozen each for a game.

**a single gas-powered leaf blower produces same emission as 1,100 miles in a car

*** 30% of adults have opioid connections in the family (or them)

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

evanflein a sentence that only somebody that loves Alaska could write, "It was fun, and not too cold but after a half hour of standing around in just barely above zero temps . . ." Not too cold, and just barely above zero temps will never appear together in any sentence of mine!

Holly S. I have been meaning to tell you I am really glad to have discovered birria! Many of the people at the new year's party I went to had never had them and loved them. I just wish each batch produced less. There are only so many tacos I want to eat!

tetsujin209 given where you live it seems like you should have a husky for your avatar.

Tramps they are pro-Hamas protesters. If they were "pro-Palestinian" and concerned with civilian casualties, they would be calling for Hamas to lay down their weapons, surrender, and release the hostages. If that happened the war would end immediately. Instead, the demands are for a cease fire, which will simply allow Hamas to regroup, rearm, and go back to killing Jews whenever they get the chance. If there is any doubt as to the goal, the protestors chanting from the river to the sea should clear up any doubts. They want Israel gone along with the Jews in it. Do not bother with some link saying that is not what the phrase means. Of course, it means what it says. Any claims otherwise are pure gaslighting.

The temperatures have been dropping in CT. Not to evanflein levels, but down. So I bundled up and went out for a chilly 6 miles. My DW came back home, fed up with the cars. She apparently got buzzed a couple of times. It is bad around here. These are suburban roads. Where are these drivers going that is so urgent that they feel like they need to threaten to run people over?

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

''TW—bummer about the pool. How deep is your bathtub?''

LOVE IT

I was

reading a book last week that said-

''If you know they're going to  hang you, you don't have to worry about drowning ''

===========

but I digress..........

...30-min StairClimber......

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

BTY

What should have been an easy strength workout and easy swim workout left me a little frustrated today.   It was a Tuesday and therefore the YMCA pool didnt open until 7:00, so I tried to coordinate things so that I would be done lifting around 6:55, hop into the shower, then be in the pool when it opened.  One tiny thing after another, even as simple as my wife getting up out of bed unexpectedly before I left the house, put me behind schedule so that I was not in the pool until about 15 minutes later than planned.  It was indeed an easier swim workout so I wasn't too concerned about my times being all over the place on consecutive reps - that was mostly due to the shared lanes situation.

After my workout, the lifeguard (a guy about my age, presumably retired) asked me if I ever do a flip-turn.  I said that I don't due to a deviated septum, and subsequent sinus infections, if I do them.   He said man, you're losing about 3 seconds per 50, and he's right.  I should probably get nose plugs, or clips, or whatever you call them, and start doing flip turns all the time now.  Maybe a good New Year's resolution, since it would make me a much better competitive swimmer, heading into a new age group.  In fact, I'll go out on the web and order some now.

Have a great Tuesday evening, Masters!

C-R

Hey Masters.

Got DS2 to the airport at 0530 and got a 45 minute power zone ride when I returned home. It's quiet here today with DW and I working. I miss the noise. Will get a run this evening.

I set some new goals for 24. 1500 running and 1500 biking miles + healthy habits + more reading + a couple of others just.

Nice run KSA.

Interesting read Tramps

Agree on Steve's pics Leslie. Awesome stuff.

Tet and enke - I'm rooting for UW. Even as a Midwest person not a huge Michigan fan. Perhaps that's the Notre Dame in me. 

Back at it.

Cheers.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                        "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

So this morning around 8:30 I sent a fax to the office of Dr. Kao, the doctor who did my hamstring surgery, laying out the issue I'm having.  Less than 5 hrs later, I have a video appt for next Wednesday (his office is 6 hrs. away).

I can't even get an appointment with my primary for 4-6 weeks to get a referral to the local sports ortho, where it would take another 3 months to get in, unless I would be lucky enough to get in on a cancellation for either places.

Humboldt County is a great place to live . . . unless you need fast and efficient medical care. 

Leslie
                          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Marathon Maniac #957

Twocat - I make the birria tacos in the slow cooker.  Once done, I separate the meat from the liquid, make enough tacos for dinner, then freeze the remaining meat and liquid, and bring them out for dinner a few weeks later.  BTW, I saw Bobby Flay make grilled tacos with blue corn tortillas, sweet potato, and goat cheese, with a sprinkling of Monterrey jack.  Looked yummy!  I think I will try that this week.

Leslie - I hope the video appointment gets you some answers.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Karen, good 7.1 mile run over the path.

Tramps, that's nice weather for a 5 miler. I wish...

Leslie, that sounds like something awful to have to contend with. I hope you get answers to your questions.

I managed to run a 4 miler after a mostly sleepless night then had a trying time with CIBC to get my pre-approved increase on my credit card (it's a Costco Card or I would have tossed them out). I don't know where they get these people or why anyone would deal with an organisation that is so ineffective. Ok, I'm done now. Have a greight day all.

wildchild

Carolyn

Steve, I also loved your family pictures!  Love the matching flannel shirts, and the grandkids look like a fun bunch!

4 trail miles over at Maryland Mountain this afternoon.  I stuck to and out-and-back on the part that used to be the old tramway, since it's wide and more heavily used.  The side trails up the mountain are less used and the snow is all bumpy with random footprints - very hard to run!  Pretty day, 35 degrees and sunny.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.