Masters Running

Thursdaily, 1.4.24 (Read 41 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' Masters.

I have a meeting stat starts in 15 minutes, so I'll keep this short:

"While I personally do not mind a little political/current events discussion, since I know we can all be adults and respectful and agree to disagree if we choose, I believe the majority prefer to keep it out of the dailies so that they don't even have to skim those discussions if they want. I wouldn't want anyone here to decide to NOT even participate in the dailies or this forum anymore because they don't want to happen upon a political discussion.

BUT with that said, it's totally fine, IMO, to have more than one thread going here - open up another thread for those topics if anyone wants. I respect the collective knowledge, life experiences and intellect of this group and, for me, that's how I learn and maybe ponder over things I hadn't thought of or considered before. it's very easy to become very polarized, which is happening in our world and communities, if you don't ever engage in respectful discussions with others that see things differently. So for those reasons, I am not opposed to some of the deeper conversations about current events and varying viewpoints, but I also will respect those that prefer they completely stay out of the daily." Well-said, Tammy. I'd also welcome an occasional political discussion - in a separate thread so each of us can decide to participate or not.

My quicker workout yesterday was a good test - except that I failed: My knee was achy all day from the walk, until I took some ibu and went to bed last night. I slept reasonably well, and then went out for 3.8 slower and EZ walking miles this morning (34° temps, overcast skies), followed by 35 minutes of knee and core exercises.

Have a greta Thursday.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Thanks, Jay.  I, too, am open to a separate thread.  Unfortunately, I have found that in some cases once political views are shared, it can bleed over.  It used to be "we disagree, but you are still a great person."  I'm seeing more and more (not here yet!)  of "we disagree, and the very fact that you have that viewpoint makes you a bad person."  I don't know when this all happened, but it's sad.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY DAVE!!!!!

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Dave59

Good morning.

I drove down off our hill to the park with a plan to run an easy 3 miles, but then I added a 4th mile, and then I decided to do my usual birthday run and I continued until I reached 65 minutes. Yes, I am 65 today. I walked a bunch so I only covered 5.52 miles in that time. Then I treated myself to an Americano and a warm chocolate chip cookie at Starbucks.

I've been out because I just wasn't able to keep up with everything and this was one place that lost out. We've been dealing with my father-in-law and getting him moved from an apartment at the retirement community to the "health care" wing. From a 3 room apartment to a 1 room living area. I am taking today and tomorrow off work to clean out the rest of the apartment. Hopefully that will get done today. He doesn't like where he is but he is barely able to do anything for himself anymore. We had him at our place on Christmas and he slept most of the time and asked about his wife when he was awake. She died a few years ago.

I got sick for a couple days. It started like how it did when I got covid a couple times but a home test for covid was negative, And I was better too quick for it to be any kind of virus. Or maybe I have some resistance built up after 5 covid vaccines and 2 bouts of covid so it couldn't take root this time?

And then there was the Florida family visiting after Christmas which kept me busy. I took the granddaughters shopping to spend their Christmas money.

I think Cindy and I are going to go buy a new Espresso maker for her for my birthday.  Ours stopped working a year ago but Cindy was having breakfast with her father so she wasn't making any specialty drinks. But now that her father is in the heath care unit there are nurses taking care of his morning medicine so Cindy isn't going over there in the mornings (she waits until later.)  I do like using it too because I can make my own Americanos but I would never buy one just for me.

Go Blue!

C-R

Morning all and thanks for the start Jay. Sorry about the achy knee. Take it slowly. I know I'm preaching to the choir.

Happy birthday Dave. Another trip around the sun. Enjoy the day. Nice extra mile.

I agree Karen. We should be able to debate different view points without getting personal. Open dialogue is so important for a healthy society.

With that I'm open to various subject threads to have those kind of talks. I know it will be enlightening as we have some very smart and worldly folks in here.

Well I dropped the ball this morning. Was supposed to do a 60 minute power zone ride and over slept. Only had time for a 15 min ride prior to my chiro appt. It was one of the German instructors. Thank goodness I'm a native German speaker. Will run later today with the club and get that PZ ride tomorrow morning.

Off to deal with work and some cc issues. I hate the people trying to steal my cc number or hack my accounts. 2 factor authentication is my recommendation for everything.

Cheers.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
          "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Marathon Maniac #957

Howdy folks.

Happy Birthday Dave!

4 miles for me in 32 degrees.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

...Happy B'Day dave//..........and Good Running to Ya............

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMJug2iz3NA

===============

thanks

for all the suggestions yesterday, I think they'll help

Rest Day today-

my Shooting Buddy

wants to go out later in the day>>>>>>>>>  ''when it's above freezing''

Amazing

how the majority of these gun-nuts never grew up Hunting

As my Dad used to tell us-

''You pick the day

God picks the weather''

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Henrun

Happy Birthday Davea new age group and Medicare eligible.

Went out to dinner last evening with friends. Excellent food but not enough (small plates) so up during the night and needed my usual slice of toast and milk to make it through the rest of the night.

Out for my morning mile of walking.

I’m not in favor of a separate thread for political discussions. There are enough of those on the internet and this thread is basically for running.

yeah

I remember when we tried the ''chat thread'' on Boomers

Not a Great Idea...........I think it triggered the EarthRunner vs Spareribbs War of the 90s

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

TammyinGP

good morning!

Another rainy dreary day here. But I still brought my running stuff so if it's not too bad later this afternoon I'll get in a bit of running.

DH and I are sharing my car for maybe another couple weeks. He's got some pretty major engine issues going on and it's already been in the shop for a week. and it's 'major' to the tune of 3000-3500. yikes. happy freaking new year to us! and it totally figures that we get this news right after I met with my financial advisor yesterday morning to go over investments and talk about retirement planning, where to put money, etc. and I was telling him how I've pretty much paid down all debt over the last year except for the mortgage and a modest HELOC that I only have to make $120 pymts on per month, even though I generally pay more. then we get this news 

Tammy

Jay, please do be careful as taking on too much leg exercise too soon can have adverse effects.

Dave59, Happy 65th Birthday!  Great 5.52 mile run!  You deserve the treats.

C-R , I agree with 2 factor authentication. It's too bad encryption is out of reach for most...

Holly, a fine 4 mile run!

Henrun, I like your take on this contentious issue.

Tammy, I'm sorry to hear about your car issues. I have similar issues coming up that I have to decide on that also involve a hefty bill. Good luck with the weather!

Another day, another 4 miler. Tomorrow I'm heading to the track with the Colonel and my running partner Brian. We'll see what we can do there... Have a greight Thursday all!

Happy birthday, Dave. I hope you like chocolate.  That situation with your FIL is tough.

Tammy--ouch. That's not a great way to start the year. Our 12-year-old truck is starting to act up in various ways, raising the fix-or-replace question. Ugh.

I started the day in the dentist chair for my biannual cleaning/checkup. Oh joy. Tribee pointed out that it's probably not a great idea to have scheduled this for the height of flu season. Duh. Hopefully I won't be regretting it a couple days from now.   I did push my usual summer visit to the early Fall to get on a different schedule.

After getting home, I got a 5-miler done under gray, gloomy skies but comfortable upper 30s temps.

RE: current events …. assuming a civil and respectful tone—which we’ve always insisted upon—I’m curious about why some people feel a need to banish this particular topic from the daily. Could you elaborate?

Have a good one.

Be safe. Be kind.

Happy Birthday, Dave! Wow, you have really been dealing with some stuff. I can see how you haven't been able to keep up with the conversation here since I sometimes have trouble with that and I'm not nearly as busy with serious things as you are.

Norm, on the few occasions that we've had our credit cards hacked, we quickly caught it and were not out any funds in the end. The biggest PITA about it though was going to the various places online where we had things being auto-billed to the card and changing the number. Now I keep a list of exactly what gets billed to which card!

One reason for our getting into current events here is that we really don't discuss running per se any longer like back in the "olden days" when we were all younger and uninjured. 

Speaking of not running any longer, I rode 12.4 miles on a couple of really nice virtual routes on the trainer. The first was 7.2 miles mostly downhill on a road near Markleeville, CA, followed by a 5.2 mile steady uphill route through a picturesque gorge in France. It made for a nice combo with the downhill warmup before the slower gradual climb that got my HR up quite nicely.

Now to don my hardhat and stow the Christmas things back until next holiday season!

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

mrrun

Dave - happy birthday. Welcome to a new age group!

Tramps - I like following people’s activities - running, swimming, biking, walking, etc.  I want/ need a place without politics and would prefer to keep it out of RA. However, if the majority feel it’s important, then please keep it separate from the dailies.

short walk this morning, followed by a class and then off to Costco.

marj

TammyinGP

Sheesh! I totally forgot to wish Dave a Happy Birthday and that was the first thing I meant to post in my reply!

Happy Birthday Dave and if you don't care for chocolate, I'm sure a few of us would help you out with that great looking birthday cake!

DH and I also had the discussion of whether or not it's smart to fix his truck or replace. BUT, if we want to get any money at all out of it, we have to fix it, or it's worth nothing. and trucks now are ridiculously expensive to buy, even 10 yr old used ones in good shape are stupid. We've had his truck paid off for probably 8 or 9 yrs now so if we have to drop 3K on it, which thankfully we do have without it being a financial hardship, we decided it's still better to go that route than get tied into monthly truck pymts on something newer for the next 5-6 yrs.  but he's sure wishing this could have happened during the nicer weather months so he could just drive his Corvette if needed. He doesn't drive it when it's rainy like this. 

I'll take a stab at why we have always wanted to keep this a political and religious free zone: first, because the written word often fails at accurately expressing intent and we all have different lenses in which we interpret things. We have seen over and over how even something that was never meant as offensive, comes across that way to some people based on their manner of interpretation. second, because those two topics are often triggering for some people and there is enough discord in life without intentionally adding more to it. third, because this is a place people like to socialize in based on our common interest in running, biking, swimming, fitness related things and we have a good thing going here with many friendships that have spanned decades and many that have become real life friendships, not just online friendships. Fourth, because I bet every one of us has examples in real life, whether it's family or friends, that have drifted apart or actually split because of different viewpoints on politics and walking down that road with our friendships here CAN end up the same way.

and I say all that knowing that I'm the one that suggested last night that IF we want to have respectful conversations about politics or current events, let's do so in a different thread so that anyone that does not even want to accidentally step in those waters, can avoid it altogether if they want. But even with that said, I would probably wager that if a separate thread were to start about politics/world events, etc., someone will likely end up angry and want to leave. It's just the very nature of online discussions whenever you discuss these types of topics.  I think if we were to have a different topical thread of conversation, if anyone wanted to participate in that, you need to make sure you are the kind of person that can take in different viewpoints, respect them, be open to others opinions without it tainting your view of them. Some can do that, others can't.

and therein lies the precaution . . .

Tammy

anneb

Happy birthday Dave!

One reason I've valued this group is because we can express different viewpoints, etc. and still be respectful. Americans now are more polarized than ever before - there is so much wrong with this. Honestly I don't know how it gets back to being more civil (not here - as a whole).

We are seeing sun today! I've missed it. I got in about 4 miles in 27* this morning.

Anne