Masters Running

Wednesday 4/3/2024 (Read 38 times)

Dave59

Do you believe in magic?  

Great picture Wild. I love the snow.

And yes, SteveP, I was watching the Snowman cam yesterday wishing I was up in Gaylord when the snow was really coming down hard.

Bio - I had flashing in my vision but they never found anything, so they called it an ocular migraine. A couple years later when I did get a tear in my retina I was seeing a lot of floaters. The ophthalmologist will be able to figure things out pretty good.

WV had a line of storms from north to south that traveled west to east and affected almost the whole state. Strong winds with a few tornados mixed in. At least a couple of those huge billboards along the interstate highways came crashing down. One flatten a car just a minute after the driver got out. We have power but less than half a mile away the power is out. I ran to the sound of generators this morning. I should have taken my phone so I could have gotten pictures of a few very large trees that were down.

I have 4 pairs of shoes which are all basically the same dark blue color. When I was getting ready for my run this morning I decided to wear my newish Brooks Glycerin 21s. I had a fantastic run. I was zipping along, running up hills that I usually walk part of. My Garmin performance score was a +6 which is the highest I have ever seen. 3.36 hilly miles.

When I got back, I took off my shoes and I saw I had actually worn my new Hoka Clifton 9s. I joked before that they were magic but now I am starting to wonder if it is a joke or if it is magic. 

Sorry about the game last night Tramps. We'll try to make up for it by beating the Flyers and the Red Wings. (When I bad mouthed the Red Wings yesterday I thought Doug would feel a disturbance in the force and stop by the forum.)

Dave- at least you didn't wear one of each shoe!   Good run!  Thanks for the start.  I'm waiting for it to warm up a bit here and I'm going over to the path.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Marathon Maniac #957

Dave - that same line of storms crossed Ohio and ha the weather people in a tizzy, warnings of "prime conditions for a tornado".  Schools closed early, even, but nothing actually panned out into anything more than a stray thunderstorm.  Boy did those weather people seem disappointed.

I had to meet a client an hour early (7:30am) so only had time for another 30 minutes on the recumbent bike.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

...mornin......

luckily the storm missed us last night

'' ......... wishing I was up in Gaylord when the snow was really coming down hard. ''

one sentence I have never said

and

still playing with the Irn Bru Ads

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Tramps

Sorry about the game last night Tramps. We'll try to make up for it by beating the Flyers and the Red Wings.

I hope so, otherwise our razor-thin playoff chances will evaporate completely. That was ugly last night. When we lose, we lose big. And, yeah, if Doug didn't come out to defend the Wings...

I hope no one here was impacted by those storms. We just got an ordinary thunderstorm; no high winds. I feel bad for the weather folks. Weather models are based on many years of past data...much of which is now irrelevant as climate change has altered the way storms behave with more extremes, more volatility, and less predictability. Tough job to try to predict.

Looks like it'll be raining more or less all day, so no ride today for me.

Be safe. Be kind.

anneb

I thought this was where that post was going!

Dave- at least you didn't wear one of each shoe!

Today it is snow-showering. It will be in the 30's all day. No, it won't stick, but its ugly out there. Day 3 of wet.

I did 30 minutes on the indoor bike this morning - I may get a walk in at lunch (I'm at the office so can use the gym). Is it spring yet???

I don't think I have mentioned this, but my mom has been struggling with memory issues/dementia. I think it is getting to the point where my dad is feeling pretty overwhelmed and its hard on him. He has only just recently shared. He is almost 78, mom just turned 76. He is a bit overweight, but otherwise relatively active - goes to the Y to walk, does a couple of regular volunteer things, has a couple of friends in his area. My mom has basically done nothing for her mental/physical health in decades, doesn't exercise, has terrible eating habits and is (according to my dad) now sleeping most of the day. Ugh. They have a Dr. appointment for her this week where she has agreed to investigate (finally). Her mom had Alzheimer's and passed when I was maybe 13-14. My 2 sisters do at least live close to them so that may be a plus for him.

Anne

Anne- I'm so sorry about your Mom.  That's hard- and especially hard for your Dad.

Finally got my butt over to the path for 6.3 miles.  It was partly cloudy and 46 with a real chill in the air (I know, I know) and, inexplicably, there was a rain shower on my way home (in the car)!  That wasn't supposed to happen.  I tried my new Diadora shoes and they are amazing.  Of course, no sooner did I get those and Rabbit announced a shoe today- limited edition for Boston.  Rabbit's first shoe.  The wear testers said it is fantastic.  I had some reward points, so I ordered a pair.  I wasn't impressed with Allbirds' running shoe.  Hopefully Rabbit will do better.

Marathon Maniac #957

AnneB - that is rough.  It's good at least that you have two siblings who live close enough to be of help.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

[[[anne]]]

===========

40s windchill

.....40-min soccerfields............2-lb trailboots, 1-lb hand wgts.........

evanflein

Anneb, that's similar to what we've been going through. My sister and I have been trying to get my dad to see how much mom has slipped, with the memory issues, taking her meds, following directions/protocol for her lymphedema, etc, etc. He's been in denial, but is finally realizing how bad it's gotten. Part of that is our fault because we've stepped up so much to help. But my sister has just about had it, and wants to make him take over some of the things we've been doing. It's worked somewhat, because I think he now realizes that mom really needs help. She really needs to be in a nursing home, but spaces in the few we have are hard to come by. But he finally agreed to do that application to get on the active waitlist for the Pioneers home, and has agreed that if one space opens up that mom should go by herself. They're 92 (mom) and 96 (dad), so this has been in the works for awhile. And yes, it's incredibly hard and heartbreaking, both to see your mom failing, and to see how hard it hits dad who always thought of her as super-woman or something.

Dave, I try to always get shoes in different colors, mainly so I can keep them separate in my head about which is which. Those shoes do sound like keepers!

Our warm'ish March has changed over to back-to-winter April. Yesterday's walk was miserable with temps in the low teens, wind whipping icy snowflakes and general cold blech. Glad I got out on Monday for a nice 4.5 mile walk on the bikepath!

coastwalker

Hi Masters,

Sorry that I'm late to the party today but it has been a little hectic.

Thanks for the start, Dave, and I'm glad you got both of the magic shoes on for your workout this morning.

I'm very sorry about the issues you are having to deal with with your folks, anneb, and you too, evanflein. People say that parenting isn't for the feint of heart, and sometimes neither is being the offspring. But we all just do the best we can with the cards on the table in front of us.

Yesterday afternoon, a crew with a huge crane and other sizable equipment came to remove the two tree trunks (both from the same tree) that fell on our cottage. It was a major operation, but they did it carefully and very well. They also took photos of the metal roof for us, and they show a few fairly small holes, so we at least need to get those panels replaced. The metal roof was (about 25 years ago) installed over a conventional roof, so we're hoping the holes don't go through both (we can't see any of it from inside). We had tarps for the roof, but there was no way to secure them, especially in light of tonight's and tomorrow's expected 30+ mph sustained winds. So, we'll just wait and see what happens.

I got out for two short walks today - one predawn for 1.5 miles, and one post-lunch and pre-rain for 3.5 miles, so 5 for the day. I've got a weird pain on the top of my foot that I'm hoping is just a minor muscle sprain. So I'm taking it a bit easy on my workouts for a few days, and we'll wait and see what happens with that too.

Rain, snow,and wind coming tonight, tomorrow, and into Friday, so I'm going to make sure everything is charged up, and that we have extra water in the house. Should be fun...

Have a greta Wednesday.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Jlynne

Hey folks. Remember me? It's been a few months since my self-imposed exile. It sounds like a lot of you were affected by the same huge storm system that's been here since Tuesday night. We got almost 10 inches of snow - the wet, heavy kind that immediately turned to slush and was impossible to shovel. And the wind! We had gusts over 50 mph last night. Luckily the storm is winding down and the temps should be back in the 50's by the weekend.

I've been working a lot. We lost several employees since Christmas, due to surgeries, illness and some being fired. Working way more than I care to lately, and also worked early voting for two weeks at our local city hall, then helped with the election yesterday. We had (our small city of De Pere) had a fantastic turnout, even though it was an election where you had to vote a straight party for the presidential part of the ballot. And a couple of really poorly worded referendum questions that, unfortunately (IMO) got passed.

Anyway, I took a big chunk of the money I've saved from working so much and bought myself a Cybex CXC training cycle. I really like it, and it's been great to have a piece of exercise equipment in the house for days when I don't feel like going to the Y, or it's too rotten to go outside to run and walk. I did 18 miles on it this morning, and 20 minutes of core and stretching.

Hope you've all been well, and I'm going to try and pop back in more regularly.

Oh! One more thing - I just started reading the book "James," which is the perspective on the events of the Huckleberry Finn book from Jame's standpoint. It's really good.

I hope so, otherwise our razor-thin playoff chances will evaporate completely. That was ugly last night. When we lose, we lose big. And, yeah, if Doug didn't come out to defend the Wings...

Hey, I heard that! Sorry to be AWOL but I was waiting for Jlynne to return first . More later...

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Good to see you back, Jeanne!  I bet that Cybex bike will be great!

hey,

jylnne's back//..............Glad you're with us/////////

I have

So many Irn Bru commercials to show you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3K6bCdbCSwY