Masters Running

Sunday greetings from St Croix (Read 40 times)

Steve thank you for that awesome recap yesterday!!

This place is gorgeous!! We are at the Featherleaf Inn Frederiksted with a stunning view of the ocean!! We splurged on a suite and I am so glad we did!! I would post pics but I don’t know how and not posting on FB since we didn’t tell Justin we would be away from the house.

We are definitely on the quiet end of the island but will drive around and explore today. We popped in at the restaurant where our niece works and she was so happy to see us!! We had already eaten at a little beach bar which was so cool.

ONLY glitch- my bag didn’t make it on our flight. We travel with a carryon and personal item each but the flight was so full they checked our carryon for free - just didn’t get mine all the way to St Croix!! Hopefully it will be on today’s flight like they said - in the meantime I am in my new Kmart fashions 

Have a great Sunday friends!!

denise

Marathon Maniac #957

Denise, email your photos to me at hollys 4874@yahoo.com and I will post them here on the running forum.   Your son is not my facebook friend and so he would not see them.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Thanks, Denise.  I know you will have a great time.  I’ve spend some time there over the years.  My Uncle was a priest/teacher on the island.

5.3 miles here at Henry Horton State Park to finish out my week.  Wound around the park and some outside of it.  We have breakfast, worship service and then we head home. It’s only 45 minutes to get home.  Robert Earl is not doing great without me, and I’m anxious to see him.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

what a great place//......you are gonna have a BLAST//////

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

coastwalker

Mornin' Masters.

Thanks for the start, Deeze. I'm glad your trip is off to a good start, well - except for the missing bag.

Nice 5.3 miles in and around the park, KSA. I'm sure RE is anxious to see you too.

Late yesterday afternoon, our nephew and his DW put an offer on a house that he saw in Maine earlier in the day (she saw it virtually). Then we went out to dinner where he filled us in on all the details. He's been in the Coast Guard for almost his entire career, and they've always lived in base or off-base CG-provided housing. So now, at 52, this is the first house they will buy for themselves, and they are very excited about it. Fingers-crossed that the deal goes through for them.

I was up at the regular time this morning and out the door by 4:15 for today's workout. I wanted to go a little longer than I have been going of late, and so stretched it to 7.1 RW miles in 23° temps under clear skies and about a quarter moon. I've started working on getting my stride length back up to where it should be, and was happy to see I made a little progress toward that today, increasing from .81m (where I've been) to .83. Every little bit helps.

I got home, stretched and showered, got the coffee going, and started on breakfast (our regular Sunday veggie scramble and some mellow jazz) for DW, the nephew, and myself. The nephew left by mid-morning (heading back to NY), and DW and I are getting back to our regularly-scheduled day.

Have a greta Sunday.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

You're looking really good in that photo, Dave.

Jay, I hope it works out for your nephew.

Have a good time on your island, Denise!

Well, my "club" had its first Bagel Sunday this morning and about four people showed up. The host had bought about two dozen bagels but managed to give them away to other people who were dropping by the shelter building where we were set up. Another club that was gathering at the same time reminded me of our old club, back when everyone was so much younger and still enthusiastic about running.

I walked 3.2 miles with a friend at a fairly quick pace before having my coffee and bagel.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Marathon Maniac #957

Whoops, double post

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Dave - nice 8K pacing.

When's the next 5K PR chance?

Denise - if you email me a picture that you want to post on the running forum I will happily do so . . ..

Deez - for sure do.

With the alleged atmospheric river still not materializing, I went back to the hillside park scene of the crime to see if I could hear or spot the bald eagle that was doing some occasional screeches yesterday but nope.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Mariposai

Speaking of eagle, I saw this beauty and many others yesterday during my run.

Holly, enjoy your time in Jamaica. Are you all packed now? I think I will have a disaster in my hands if DH wants us to match our outfits for dinner.

DAve59, very nice race yesterday!

Deez4boys, enjoy the island!

Tramp, what a beautiful picture of the lake. Is that place just around your backyard?

February is all about ramping up my long runs in preparation to the Tokyo marathon, which is on March 3. Yesterday I ran 14 miles in perfect running weather. I am so glad I did my run yesterday because today is windy and it is raining. After the run the Easy Pacer and I had a lovely zoom chat with the Twocats. It is always so much fun and filled with laughter our times together, even via zoom.

This morning I got up to hungry for omelets, so I got up and made some very yummy omelets, which turned out better than the omelets I got in France during our recent visit there.

Carpe dies Solis my friends!

Posie

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

deez4boyz St. Croix is certainly beautiful. I remember going a couple of times as a kid when my parents decided we should all go. What were they thinking?  What kind of St. Croix vacation includes kids? 

roachrunner you could have picked up more bagels after my race today. They had huge bags of them. No water, no nothing else, but lots and lots of bagels. Not sure why.

Dave59 nice not real race report, race report! Dude, you look way better than me in my race pictures!

tetsujin209 saying a day in Seattle is "100 degrees warmer than home" is why I could never live north of the 54 forty. I am not even keen about being north of the Mason-Dixon line.

Today was a local 15k race, which is part of the winter Boston Buildup series. Kind of incredible, but I ran it in exactly the same time as last year. Down to the second! I did okay among the old guys. But I cannot say I am all that happy with the result. I had hoped to run it at least a little faster than last year. Especially, with my next marathon coming up in 20 days. Oh well, better than having run it slower than last year.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

dnaff

Gorgeous day here.  The dog and I accompanied my husband on his run.  Misha chased after him a bit when he first took off so I got some lite jogging done at the end of her leash.  Alas, smelling new smells trumps chasing her master so we spent the next 30 minutes moseying along.

He did an out and back and so when he saw us again he took the leash and moseyed while I ran on ahead to the parking lot.  I maybe got a mile in and that was just right.  At home I rolled out the mat and worked on tight hip flexors and some different groin pain.  Did a few planks and some other core work too.  Next up is a lemon poppyseed loaf because I want to turn the oven on to help out the furnace just a bit.

I hope you all are having a great Sunday.

bioguy

Hi all; my first time on the forum in quite a while. I’m running very little these days, but there’s a popular trail race I signed up for months ago that was on today. Spent the night at my daughter Sarah’s home and got to see Nate who is now about 15 months old.

I did the 10 k which has lots of hills, but is a nice trail.

Finished in 1:14:32. My Garmin had me at 6.6 miles but I assume that the woods and the bridges we went under messed with my distance. I wore a chest strap and average heart rate was 164 and max was 181.

okay, time to hit the books. Genetics exam this week and microbiology exam the following.

Hi, bioguy!  Thanks for stopping by.  Nice race!

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Dnaff beat me to it in describing today's weather as "gorgeous". It was even nicer this afternoon than in the morning so I decided to do another walk. My DW and I split up for different routes as she walked from home into town and I drove into town and walked around the main city park. Everyone and their kids were out in the sunshine that felt like 60s even though it was just high 40s. I enjoyed watching people being active at all ages and then met up with my DW at a particular coffee shop.

Unfortunately, both downtown shops that we tried had no place to sit, at least partly due to single people taking up 4-toppers with their laptops open and looking dug in for the afternoon. We eventually drove off toward home and stopped for a coffee and tea at my favorite Panera. Anyway, I got in another 2.15 walking miles thru the park and downtown streets for a total of 5.35 for the day.

I saw a lot of bikers out and if the predicted weather holds I'll probably have one of my bikes out later this week.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Enjoy it, deez!

Tramp, what a beautiful picture of the lake. Is that place just around your backyard?

It's where Potomac Creek feeds in to the Potomac River; about 5 miles from my home. Coincidentally, I saw a nice bald eagle out there, too, but it was swooping around looking for lunch so I didn't get a pic. Yours is beautiful.

Gorgeous weather here, too. 42 miles for me on the bike. A little slower than usual since Tribee's training for a gravel race and had her gravel bike.

Be safe. Be kind.