Masters Running

1st Sunday of 24 (Read 41 times)

Good morning Masters, before I head off for my group run today, a quick Saturday recap:

C-R, running in fresh snow in good conditions is definitely a fabulous experience!

Dave59, someone who holds nothing back in a 5K run is someone I would run with any day of any week. I commend you!

Karen, you always impress me by running a 5.5 even when you feel you don't have it, but I believe you do have it. It's who you are!

Twocat, 11 cold miles is tough, and my Garmin does the same to me and it's new. Hmmm they must be broken...

DanFuller, nice to see you back in the running game after some injuries, but 53 is young in my running group. I think you have good times ahead.

bioguy, take the time you need to ponder  the retirement issue. Do however get the heart rate issue checked out. I believe if you are conversing at any kind of pace you may be overthinking it but always better safe than sorry.

dnaff, light weights have their uses, keep at it, do not sell them short.

rochrunner, 15.1 miles on a trainer if a feat in my book. Outstanding!

Holly, 40 minutes on a stationary bike is dedication. Well done!

tomwhite, 30 min on the ARC Trainer is a great workout, and yes many of them will burn out, lol.

enkephalin, considering how much you run I don't think 2 weeks would affect your cardio much. Enjoy the fact you are back just in time to kick off the year.

lamerunner, nice 6 miler on the rail trail.

Old Coyote, I am impressed that you are taking on a 50k as that is a different kind of animal in my book. Keep us posted on your progress.

evanflein, goor ride, 11.6 miles on the bike is great cross training!

coastwalker

Mornin' Masters.

Thanks for the start 'n recap, sub7. Enjoy the group run.

We made it back from dinner out with our friends last night when there was just a dusting of snow on the roads, making an easy end to a tasty and fun evening.

This morning, however, was a different story: There was what appeared to be 5-6" of snow on the ground, and it was (and is) still coming down. So that made it easy to choose an indoor workout for this morning. So I did 70 minutes of knee and core exercises, plus weights. I started with 3 sets of 10 leg lifts with ankle weights, holding each lift for 10 seconds and then a slow (4-5 seconds?) return to the floor. And, if you keep your toes pointed up instead of straight out, it requires just a nice little bit of extra effort from your quads. While I was doing my workout, I heard the plow go by our house twice, making me feel good about having chosen to stay inside.

How do you cook your scrambled eggs? For our jazz breakfast this morning, I poured them in a slope-sided pot and constantly whisked them until they were done. Then folded in our extras (chopped bacon, onions, snow peas, red peppers, and some melty cheese) that had cooked in another pan, and served. The whisking s supposed to make the eggs creamier, and I think it worked well.

I'm looking forward to a snowblower and shovel workout late today (the snow is supposed to keep coming until about 6-7:00 this evening), but otherwise, DW and I have indoor projects and some calls to family and friends to make today. We'll also get the wood stove going, and maybe make some guac to enjoy this evening.

Have a greta Sunday.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Dave59 I found that the roasting time is very oven dependent. I would start checking on the potatoes after about 15 minutes, especially if you have a hot oven.

DanFuller it sounds like you have/had a variant of what I had about 13 years ago. It left me unable to run for about two years. Then I found a PT that was finally able to get me fixed up. What is a LMT?

Local roads are covered in ice. Up where coastwalker is they got snow. Here we had snow, sleet, and freezing rain. All of that easily convinced me to do 5k on the TM. I am betting the local race organizers are glad they moved today 10k to next Sunday.

A good friend of mine went to the ER yesterday. It seems that he had some heart issue and they performed surgery on him right away. It must not have been too major since they sent him home the same day. I had hoped to visit him today, but it seems last night did not go well and he asked to wait a day before coming over. I am worried about the guy, and I know his DW is too. He is the sweetest person. He just cannot take care of himself. He needs to drop about 100 pounds, and start getting some cardio. His diet could also use some work. Alas, all this only he can fix and he does not seem inclined to do so. In the end I hope he recovers well as wildchild's DH seems to  have.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Henrun

While all around us it’s snowing we’ve had very little except for a sea breeze which keeps it milder. Walked around the block for .3 mile and found a few icy spots. Otherwise we’re staying indoors and doing some reading and, perhaps, watching the 2 losers play the final season football game.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

sub7: you did good. Thanks.

BTY -  pretty darn good too. However, do you ever forget how many of the laps up to 100 or more, I think, you did and have to start all over again. In addition, using your zipped workout card as a guide, do you remember the overall times for each of the strokes when you get done with each and before starting the next stroke cycle so you can calculate distances, paces, etc. later? 

ps - RA has been my running log too.

Roch - does your watch automatically register a lap when you turn 180 degrees at the end of each lap or do you have to push a button like I would have needed to in the old days on my beloved 100-lap Timex Ironman if i would have done lap swims then but didn't.

ps - what's your longest fulgaz training ride? Where

Jay - even though you can do a fantastic 70 minutes of leg lifts, ankle weights, etc. with toes pointed up like mine automatically still do from a year of karate training at the Shorinji Temple in Tokyo in 1966 (so your kicks strike with the balls of the feet and not the susceptible toes), etc. does your knee get tired or sore/painful anymore? Now that your two months out, any more Tylenols anymore? 

Walked around the block for .3 mile . . ..

Henrun - me too! <<<(ed note: except at 30m/m pace)>>> 

Celebrating a first, long, month since the December 7 surgery, with right knee accepting a little more weight and the day's usual winter rains yet to erupt, I celebrated the passage of the first month with a 0.3 mile walker walk around the neighborhood that, except for a proliferation of tents on the other side of the street and their associated litter and fouling waste that never get picked up until the city moves the enclaves elsewhere (usually just down the street), looks the same as the last time. No wonder I can hardly wait to get back to the trails and stairs of the two nearby hillside parks. Yippee.

At last week's follow-up appointment no. 2, Dr. Knee said that way it was going, I should be off the walker and onto cane by appointment no. 3 in another week-and-a-half just before our planned meetup weekend. Yippee2 

ps - in addition to a mountain climbing one that I've done parts of, NHK World has "Walk, then Run" program this afternoon that I've done all my life after the 30 years or regular running until it finally hit me that I can't do it anymore.

. . . watching the 2 losers play the final season football game.

ps - for me, no matter what their records,, the Patriots, and Packers too, will never be "losers."

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

C-R

Morning Masters.

Sounds like some serious snow Jay. Indoor workout seems prudent. Also, I like the egg approach. Need to try that.

Sorry about your friend twocat. Hope he gets well very soon.

Have fun on the group run sub. I seem to enjoy those more as I get older.

Enjoy the books Henry. I have set a mark to read at least one real in hand book a month for 2024. One down (well finished from late Dec). It was called The first Conspiracy and it dealt with the plot to kill or capture Gen Washington in the summer/fall of 1776. It's historical and not fiction but a good read if you like historic suspense and spycraft.

I rode 13+ Power zone this morning. Woke late due to being at the Colts game late last night (we won't discuss that please). I will run after Mass tonight.

Have a wonderful Sunday all.

Cheers.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
              "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Hang in there up north. Our day of rain yesterday turned into a very wet fog this morning and bright sunshine by mid-day.  I assume that's heading your way.

Henry--I can see how a big screen would make a difference for those "big" old-Hollywood style scenes.

tet--I saw your Wash/Mich post. I found this recent piece on the new economic realities of college football pretty eye-opening for someone who doesn't follow the sport.(A half million dollars a year for a college offensive lineman? ) I'm not sure what any of this has to do with colleges anymore. I don't understand why the NFL doesn't just have minor league teams like MLB and the NHL.

5 miles in the sunshine (my bike spoke isn't replaced yet, so no ride). New shoes (same model) made it feel like a little extra bounce in my step, but my actual mile splits brought me down to earth again.

Be safe. Be kind.

dnaff

Thanks for the Sunday Start sub7.

Jay, have you ever tried this version:  crack the eggs into a pan preheating on medium.  Slide the yokes carefully to one side and scramble just the whites.  Once the whites are done, turn off the heat and mix the yokes throughout and let them finish cooking.  It makes a nice soft scramble.  Sometimes though, waiting for them to finish without heat is irritating and I turn it  low.

Today is another dreary day.  I’ve heard it described as living under a perpetual grey dome.  Just not enough variety for my liking.  But to be honest, it’s not overly cold so there is that.  My husband is out running and I opted for a yoga that was entirely ab work. My abs were not ready for that so at least I know where I need to work.  After that I ran through my PT exercises.  2 dog walks down, 1 to go.  Probably during halftime of the Bears Packers.

C-R, sorry to hear about the Colts game...

Tramps, nice 5 miler in new shoes!

Well the run this morning was a roaring success as 20 of us (RR) invaded the running track for a distance of 11 miles. The group was sudivided into 3 groups running  different paces. A great time was had by all and the group decided to make this a usual event for the winter months until the conditions improve, which may be a while. Looks like I'll run them until Fevruary. Have a greight Sunday Masters and may your feet always hit the ground running!

lamerunner2

Happy snowy Sunday. I did just over an hour Peloton workout. 45 minutes Power Zone Endurance then a 20 minute one that I used as an extended cooldown.

We in northern NH seem to be getting quite a bit more snow than expected, which is great. I would guess 6-8 inches so far and still snowing. I am scheduled to join my DH hiking group tomorrow. We should put the bigger people up front in big snowshoes. Pretty light duty local hike, but if we need snowshoes, it will be more work.

Erika, I am running about twice a week for about an hour at a time. NOT fast, mostly on rail trails or other easy trails.  I also got Hoka shoes for added cushioning.  (they take some getting used to).  My knee surgeon was not enthusiastic about running, but some of the things he said did not make sense to me*, so I decided to try it and see how it went. So far, it has been ok, occasional aches and pains which I think are related to muscles and tendons being used differently. I am still working on building strength.  I might consider adding a third shorter run day in the Spring, but I have no plans to try any endurance anything other than on a bike.  I have heard of people running marathons on new knees, but that seems like pushing my luck and I have done plenty of those.

*My doc said hiking and skiing were unlimited and I could run short bursts to play tennis or similar, but the short sprints of tennis, and indeed some of the hiking near me is FAR harder on the legs and knees than my little wanders down the trail.  He also was not that excited about strength training, which also did not make sense. My daughter's take on this is that he probably sees me as an older woman, not as someone who is trying to still be an athlete. Could be true. Or he is just a better knee surgeon than athletic trainer.

I did recover mostly very well from the surgery. I drove after a week, standard transmission, was able to pedal the bike at about 10-12 days out, albeit on pretty light resistance, down to one crutch after 7-10 days, as I remember, then no crutches. My PT was very strict with me in terms of regaining good walking form; my bad knee had made my leg so crooked that I could not walk properly.  So I had to relearn now to walk. It was quite a process, but I am grateful to have done it.

I did wait nearly 6 months after the surgery to try running.

evanflein

lamerunner, thanks. That's about the best write up of the post-surgical process that I've seen. I also will be taking it one step at a time, and while my recovery is going far better than anyone (ha, except me!) expected, I fully understand that my body is still healing from a major surgery. I am thinking like you that my marathon days are over, but hey, there's a lot more to life than training for and running marathons! Just think of all the weekend hours I can get back to spend on other things rather than long runs! 

Twocat, thanks. I'll be using my convection oven for the roasting part and expect it'll take less time than the up to an hour stated in the recipe. DH wants to do a smoky meatloaf on the grill tonight and wants to try those potatoes to go with it.

Hope all of you dealing with ice and snow are careful. Running and walking on ice can be downright treacherous. Spikes or screw shoes, please!

We're having a weird warm up with temps in the low 20's so far today. Considering we were in the minus tens and twenties just days ago, this is weird. Should be like this tomorrow too, then colder again. I might make it out for a walk this afternoon, and yes I'll wear spikes! But otherwise it'll be another ride on the bike and more chapters in my book!

Thanks, sub.  Good recap.  Is your track an indoor track?  How long?

I could NOT face outside since I still have this little bit of a cold and just feel a little unbalanced.  I delayed and delayed, and finally went downstairs and was prepared to do just a little, but made 5 miles on the treadmill, which I'm glad I did.

Twocat- that's a shame about your friend.  Losing that much weight isn't going to be easy- even if he wants to. Can he do one of the "new" drugs like Ozempic?

I can really understand the northerners bailing for Florida in the winter, and I don't even live in the north anymore!  I'll never forget the first time my family took a vacation to Florida when I was pretty young and living in suburban Philadelphia.  I had no concept of places that were that warm in the winter!

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Tet, I really feel for you and am anxious to hear soon that you're back into your usual routines, even if at a greatly reduced intensity. FYI, my watch does sense the turnarounds in some way, although it occasionally misses one or adds one in. Since it uses my setting for the lap distance, anytime it miscounts it means the total distance will be +/- 25 meters or whatever. it also does things like counting strokes per lap and can tell the difference between strokes such as freestyle vs backstroke.

And by the way, have you heard about the next season of HBO's acclaimed noir True Detective series, starting in about a week? It stars Jodie Foster and takes place in a fictitious small town in "northwest Alaska" in the dead of winter, adding darkness of locale to darkness of plot (not a single scene was shot in daylight). Unfortunately, they said that Alaska lacked the "infrastructure" to support such a big production so they ended up shooting it in Iceland.

Question for the group: Locally, I think we're the only people we know who don't belong to Costco; even our DS just joined. Our reason has mostly been that the closest one is still not in a very convenient location, with busy roads and zooey traffic, so I don't know how often I'd feel like driving out there. Plus, I don't have a good idea of what we would want to get there. I always thought of it as a place to buy in quantity, but even our single and couples friends seem to like it. I would assume that a number of you here must belong. What do you typically buy there, and has it proven to be worth the annual membership fee?

I put in some more time working on my shop and confirmed that it's going to take longer than I thought. Fortunately, I have all the time I need! Taking today off from any organized workouts but I expect to try to work some into my schedule in the coming week. At least it's nice to have something to work on with a useful goal ahead.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Doug-  we belong to both Sam's and COSTCO (family of 2) and like both.  I got to know a lot about COSTCO's business model when I was working as a retail lawyer, and they really have their shit together.  We get a lot of the usual things there- paper towels, TP etc, but they have great freshly prepared (and frozen) foods.  Much of it is fine for 2 people, but you get about 4 of it.  You can find some good clothing items, electronics, pet food, kitty litter etc.  We get yogurt there.  Can you get a day pass to try it out?  Or go as a guest just to see what you think?  There are things we like at Sam's v COSTCO (gas, for one- Sam's is a little closer) and vice versa.  Ken is the main shopper and really seems to like his excursions to both boxes.  Oh- the hot dogs are great for lunch at COSTCO!  You have to take your own bag or just load all the stuff in the car as is.  They also have pharmacy- I get my contact lens stuff there.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

evanflein

We used to have a Sam's Club, but they left Alaska and the building stood empty for a couple years before Costco moved in. We have the executive membership so get back 2% in cashback. We also use the pharmacy (mostly for vaccinations like COVID, Shingles, RSV, etc) and the Costco travel benefits for car rentals (hard to beat most times). Also, for shopping, they've got the best wine prices and DH gets his favorite bourbon for almost half what Fred Meyer charges. We love their prices on produce, like the organic brown cremini mushrooms, mini romaine and berries. Plus cheese! Best prices on cheese in town.

What we don't use Costco for is gas as we get up to a dollar off at Fred Meyer, and like Holly and her DH we fill up both vehicles on that $1 off, up to 35 gallons. Technically you're not supposed to do that, but nobody says anything about it. Smile