Masters Running

A - Well Everybody's Heard Its February 3rd. (Read 39 times)

SteveP

Let's get the round up going with a little ear worm.

Another one of our cherished members is all wet.  Holly has 1,000 laps logged into her health journal.  At home, she does squat after lunging into her day.

Tammy mulls over past performances while on the mill.  She knocked out three miles on Thursday.

Dnaff had a windchill rebound that kept her in for yoga.  The 1st got her stepping out for a walk run.  Leaf raking had her watching her step.

KSA gets her Feb 10K completed.  She's retreating for her church's women's retreat.  The lass with class will share the lead in leading a class.  She's enjoyed the last 2 1/2 years.

Tramps cycles into 23 miles (give or take).  His knee has put the kibosh on running.  He won't let that keep him down as he's added more hiking to his fitness mix.

Fatozzig is getting more pre-dawn miles.  Shorty is going stir crazy while waiting for the rain to subside.  She'd gladly send him to her office so she could hunker down for a few days.

Deez4boyz checks is before boarding a plane.  Wheels are rolling as we speak.  She stretches out after a two-hour Peloton workout!  Good grief!  This warrior deserves a lot of credit.

The one and only Coastwalker checks in.  Can you believe it?  He has a house guest for the weekend.  He hit it hard on Thursday.  He took it easy on Friday.  He did over and hour and a half of and indoor exercise routine followed by a five and half mile walk.  This may be the only place on the planet where that's taking it easy.

My oh my.  Dave59 is back in MI.  The Birch Run Outlet Stores are my DW's version on Heaven on Earth. He's sporting a new Michigan National Champions T-shirt!   We hope he has a wonderful race on Saturday.  Frankenmuth is a charming town.  I have Dave envy.

BTY packs in a full day before breakfast with a friend.  He herds cats, rounds up rascally hounds, hits the weights and burns up the laps.  He's another who said they took it easy.

Oh say can it be?  We're graced with Anneb!   She mixed it up for 3.7 miles.  She may be looking to swat a groundhog.

Rochrunner cycled 18.5 miles.  His workout had its ups and downs.

Enkephalin has plans for August already.  She had a nice little walk along the cabin roads.

Mrrun made it back from the islands!  She can boast a number of walks without the perils of ice or snow.

The well respected, Tetsujin209 is geared up for his first frosty 5K after his much-needed knee replacement.  Have some happy trails!

Surly Bill has an ez four by the bay.  It sounds lovely.  The sets are all set, and the actors can take the stage.  He'll have his hands full when he dashes to Oregon.  There's no doubt that time with Mom will be well spent.

TwoCat makes the grade and beats the rain for a fun (not sun) filled 4-mile run.  The athlete caves and curves.

MikeE finishes his day with an easy 6-mile run.  he spends Zac time hitting the wights.

I got three miles on the mill. and an hour+ of my online PT and my in-person PT homework.  DW and I are due for a trip.  With our dog's issues, there is no way I can ask anyone to watch him.  Especially in their own home.  He spent 8 months in a kennel before we adopted him.  I'm not going to put him through that again.  I have a week off in March where I want to take him and DD#2's beagle (Honey) camping.  Yesterday, DW asked me to change it to the last week in March for a staycation with her and various grandkids.  I did that over Christmas.  No thank you.  If I change it, they are more than welcome to come meet up with me and the hounds.  I'd like to haul the camper a little farther for a week, but not without DW.

SteveP

Marathon Maniac #957

Steve - I hope you get your week of camping. If we lived closer, I would happily take Duncan for you while you went on your escapades.  Doggy diapers don't scare me. He's such a sweet boy.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Dave59

Don't forget that the Olympic Marathon Trials are this morning. 10:10 start for the men. 10:20 for the women. I'll be running somewhere in Frankenmuth Michigan at race time.

My new employer forces managers to rank their employees on a curve during annual evaluations. Very tough to do when everyone is good and most have 20-30+ years of experience. How do you give some one a 2 (out of 5) when they have consistently been a 3-4? Are they suddenly a bad employee?

My little run this morning doesn't start until 10:00. I don't like to eat before a run but I woke up at 5:00 and I couldn't imagine waiting 6 hours for food. So I had a bagel and 3/4 cup of coffee from the hotel's breakfast setup.  Now I have 2 more hours to wait until I head down to the start. What I should do is sign-on to work and take care of the issues that popped up yesterday, but I think I'll break out my Kindle instead and do a little reading. The window in my room faces out at main street so I relax and watch the few hearty folks that are up and out early in the cold (27 here now).

Marathon Maniac #957

When I ran my first Boston, we watched the women in the Olympic Trials, and I was struck by the fact that some of these world class contenders had the goofiest gait imaginable.  And yet any one of them could run rings around my most speedy of times.  Crazy.

Short weights workout for me this morning.  I'll see if I feel like getting more done later.

Today is mostly various housework chores and figuring out my packing for Jamaica.  DH has all of his outfits set out for the trip, so  I suppose I should get mine figured out.  He wants us to match at dinner every night.     Like a cheap motel....

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

LOL, Holly- on the outfits.

Steve- fantastic recap and I like your idea of a camping trip with the dogs.

3.2 miles here at Henry Horton State Park with my faster friend.  We crossed the highway and encountered some hills we didn’t want to experience, so we turned around and did some flatter roads here in the park.  We didn’t get lost.  Now for our two hike/walk/run things.  This is a nice park and the inn is not new but not bad at all.

Happy Saturday and I can’t wait to see how the trials turn out and who our marathon teams will be.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Run away! Run away! A big yellow alien disk has appeared in the sky! Some are calling it "the sun". Run away before it gets you!

It is crazy that unless you have Peacock streaming you cannot watch the trials live. NBC has it with a two hour delay. 

I did a short two mile run this morning just to get out of the house. Tomorrow I have a 15k race.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

BTY

Good morning, all!   Thanks for the start instead of the finish this morning, Steve!   Something (my cat?  my stomach?  IDK) woke me at 4:15 this morning  and I've been going at a good pace ever since.  I got in a good swim at 7;00 - right after the Y opened, and it was a good thing because if I had been running late, I don't think I'd get in a swim today.  It lasted an hour and the Main set was 100 yards of Butterfly, 200 yards of Backstroke, 300 yards of breaststroke, and 400 yards of Freestyle.  I've never done a pyramid like that before (IM sequence), and everything was 100's except for the Fly - I haven't done anything more than 25 yards of Fly in many months, so just getting 2 50's was a big enough goal.   So what was fun about it was that I was sharing a lane with another swimmer who is about my speed in a lot of strokes, including, apparently butterfly.  We worked out a way to share the lane and do butterfly together - I'd push off, swim about 8 seconds, then he'd follow suit.  When I hit the turn he was around 10 -15 yards out, so I pushed off and did a better underwater dolphin kick than usual, and made myself swim underwater long enough that we didn't interfere with each other.   Turns out we were both intending to swim about 45 second repeats, and we both swam 39 the first time and 40 the second timeline.   There's something about having someone pushing or pulling you along, for sure.   Everything else went to plan, except that I needed more rest between the 100's than I'd planned, and swam them all a little faster because of that.  The 100 frees at the end were 1:20, 1:19, 1:18, and (a tired) 1:20.   Lastly, a 100 yard backstroke cool down.   2,500 yards in all.   It was a fun workout.  I think I'll keep this in the repertoire, whether Jim is in the same lane or not.

Have a great day everyone!  I have to go figure out what that big yellow orb is, in the southeastern sky.

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

First!

Our neighbor and the kids' cross country and track teammate (from high school) is running right now!

In Orlando. At the Olympics marathon trial. His fiance is running too, I don't know her name.

Track Andrew Colley here

35F

4.40 miles

I opted not to wear my bat utility belt with light that illuminates the world. The waning crescent shed enough light on the Big Bridge and the Damn Bridge for me to see my way, although that first mile was slow due to my cautious gait. As I rounded the drainage pond and turned right onto the Boy Scout Bridge to cross the swamp, that flaming orange orb of which twocat speaks, began peeking above the eastern horizon. Or maybe just below it?

I turned left and then left again to reenter the swamp woods trail and then out to the Farmer's Field and all the quiet beauty contained there.

It was a good morning.

Which is good. Because the bridge cards were not good to Marianne and me last evening. The men had good cards and actually bid and

played them well. heh heh heh

Tonight we're having people over for cancelation hearts and Oh Hell.  We don't let the card playing get in the way of our socializing.

Thanks for the start today Steve!  I sure hope you get to go camping. I love camping. No better way to steep oneself in nature.

It is crazy that unless you have Peacock streaming you cannot watch the trials live. NBC has it with a two hour delay. 

I did a short two mile run this morning just to get out of the house. Tomorrow I have a 15k race.

Welcome to the future of sporting events.  I'll subscribe again to Peacock+ in July so I can watch the Tour de France, but at least that's basically a bike race a day for three weeks. I wouldn't pay it to watch a single event so I guess I'll wait and DVR the delayed coverage.

Holly, I forget what comedian did a riff on this (Jeff Foxworthy, maybe?), but men do not have "outfits". Women have outfits; men just need a couple pairs of clean jeans and a variety of t-shirts and polos. Sheesh!

Just got back from a workout at the gym and will walk somewhere with my DW this afternoon (while she discusses which "outfits" to pack for Tucson in order to have at least two changes a day and no repeats...). 

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

Thanks for the heads up, Twocat!

I thought it was only on NBC!

My sister put Peacock on my TV one time when she was here because her son wanted to watch soccer. We still get it!

Dave59

Run is done. Last night's lasagna was sitting heavy in my stomach this morning, but thanks to the 10:00 AM start and half a dozen trips to the bathroom I was feeling very good by race time.

"A" goal - 10:00 per mile pace.

Avoid disappointment goal - Don't finish slower than a 10:30 pace.

Splits: 9:58, 9:47, 9:50, 9:52, 9:31 (last split was .97 miles)

Finish time: 48:41

Pace: 9:48

Made my "A" goal. Very surprised and pleased. Thought I'd be stiff from driving yesterday but I felt pretty good,

Nothing at the finish, not even water, so on the way back to the hotel I stopped at a shop and got water, coffee, and a gourmet cinnamon coffee cake to take with me to Gaylord. 

Henrun

To enjoy the yellow orb (we had lots of it in Hawaii but didn’t do a lot of strenuous exercise) went for a 2 mile walk/run. Now to watch the delayed trials on tv.

Holly, for our 2 week trip we only took whatever fit in 2 carryons and had a washer /dryer in our Airbnb. We plan to do the same for our next trip which is coming up in 3 weeks.

Twocat--I've taken to almost never watching live sports. For a 7 pm hockey game, for example, I tune in about 8:30 and just fast forward through the commercials and intermission blather. Just as the game's wrapping up, I've "caught up" to the live feed.

DH has all of his outfits set out for the trip

♫ ♫ "Don't call what you're wearing an 'outfit'"  ♫ ♫

I'm with Doug on that one.

Dave--congrats on making your goal.

After a stretch of gloom, we've been having gorgeous sunny weather here, too. 5.5 mile hike for me to "the point" where I enjoyed a moment of zen.

Be safe. Be kind.

Mike E

MM #5615

Thanks a lot, Dave!  I checked in here as I was getting ready to go out for my run… two hours, later… after watching both the men and women finish, I’m finally getting out.  It was cool to see a Minnesota girl make it.  I wish I could say I know her… but I don’t even recognize her name.  Okay—gotta run…

Great run, Dave.  Congratulations!

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth