Masters Running

Friday 1/12/24 Cold Weather Runs (Read 38 times)

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning!

vs. this guy who used to route his neighborhood runs at j-o'clock over on the island past barking dogs' yards so they'd make as much noise as possible maybe even waking the owners up, especially as sometimes they'd have to open the door and call the dogs back.  Glad I could give them some practice against burglars, porch pirates, etc..

You rascal you....

Bioguy - could you maybe put one earbud in and listen to music or a podcast or something?

Mike -yay for Molly!

a new pair of glasses. I'll probably get my "primary" pair from them at whatever outrageous price they charge and then order sunglasses and a pair for the computer (different prescription) from one of the online optical places llke EyeBuyDirect.

Roch - last year I got a pair of no-line bifocals from Target for $199.  The same pair at the optometrist would have been about $500.  You are under no obligation to pay those astronomical prices at the optometrist - just have them print out your prescription when you leave and take it somewhere else, like Sams, Target, Walmart.

Whew, when I woke up at 7am, it was really the morning seven o'clock this time.

Years ago I worked as a waitress at the Disneyland Hotel.  I had worked the 7-3 shift at the cafe and went home and took a nap.  I woke up in the semi dim light, disoriented, and thought I had slept through the night.  I looked at the clock (7:30) and called the cafe in a panic. "I'll be late, but I'm on my way!"  Then, racing around to get my uniform on, hopping on one foot to put on my shoes, I realized the wrong side of the apartment had light coming in the windows.  I called the cafe back and said, "Brian, is it night time?"  He must have thought I was a lunatic.

We got a new case at work, about a fist fight between sisters Shauntoja, Shauneque, and Shaunesha.....

3.5 miles in 32 degrees with a stiff wind - brrr!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Holly, great start to the day! I love hearing about things like this because I think them but sometimes I think only runners feel that way... Imagine though for glasses, I have to take mine off to read. I can read things so small most people can't discern the writing. My optometrist tells me to roll with it because one day... Otherwise at a distance I discern shapes...

I am heading out with the colonel and Brian at FieldHouse  for a training run this morning, an 8 miler as he's in full prep for the Boston and we are getting ready for the Fargo Marathon this morning early. We may be doing the Sunday run here also as it's been snowing for days and they haven't caught up with the street cleaning so the streets are a disaster and it's cold here. One of the RoadRunners may be joining us for this morning's run, Jerome, a young guy (late 60s) who  ran a 3:20 Manitoba Marathon last year to qualify for the Boston. I'll check in later.

coastwalker

Mornin' Masters.

Thanks for the start, Holly. You sure have and continue to live an interesting and entertaining life! Good 3.2 chilly miles.

Sounds like a good plan, sub7, for you all to run at the Fieldhouse instead of outside today. Good luck with the 8-miler.

I saw reference to Eva Cassidy. We first heard her about 8-9 years ago, and have enjoyed most of her music since. It is too bad that she died so young, and before she got the recognition she warranted. As I understand it, she was in what was basically a bar band for most of her short career. Here is a link to a concert of hers.

Looks like I've missed a lot this week - but that's not new when I miss a day or two or three here. I haven't been checking in because it has been a busy and somewhat stressful week: I had to speak at a press conference on Tuesday with the Secretary of the Interior and the Director of US Fish and Wildlife. We had a huge storm on Wednesday with rain and high winds and very high tides that caused a lot of damage at Hampton Beach (2-3 miles away) and all along the NH coast. I've had my usual series of daily meetings, and we're still working to finalize a major grant proposal - on Monday we were asked to add another project to our portion of the proposal, which meant cobbling together some reasonable budget numbers, and then doing the appropriate write up to explain/justify/sell the additional work, all in just a few days. We hope to get that wrapped up today. Tomorrow (with another potentially-damaging storm heading our way), we are heading to NY to spend a couple of days with a niece and her family. It's DW's birthday tomorrow, so we're going out to dinner tonight to start the weekend celebration.

I've been either walking or doing my knee and core exercises, or both every day this week. I was out at my usual time this morning for 5.45 EZ walking miles in 27° temps with a few stars poking through the wispy clouds. Although it is still getting better, I feel that the progress with my knee has slowed a bit, which is not making me happy. I still take a couple of ibu before I go to sleep some nights because random overnight knee pain can be just enough to wake me up, and I'd rather sleep through the night if I have a choice in the matter.

OK - gotta go to another meeting to resolve some remaining issues with this grant proposal so we can, hopefully, put it to bed.

Have a greta Friday.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

C-R

Morning Masters.

Nice start Holly. Those naps can be disorienting.

Good call sub.

One thing comes to mind Jay. It's like our fitness journey. At some points we seem to be getting fitter each day and then comes a slow down. But that is just building to the next level of progression. A step function vs. linear incline. Keep working I bet it will improve dramatically in the next step.

60 minute PZ ride this morning. Hard but enjoyable. No run today. Had a nice near 5 last night in some very crisp and quiet conditions. Ran with a fellow who just joined our club. He runs with a group called Ainsley's Angels. Inspired by Dick Hoyt. They take disabled kids out for 5ks to marathons on running buggies. What an interesting conversation. Made me reflect on all of the blessings I have but more so on the goodness of so many people in this world that are never highlighted in today's negative information space. Ok enough of that. I was better for having run with him and look forward to the next run/conversation.

Back to the salt mine.

Cheers.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
          "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Marathon Maniac #957

Inspired by Dick Hoyt. They take disabled kids out for 5ks to marathons on running buggies. What an interesting conversation. Made me reflect on all of the blessings I have but more so on the goodness of so many people in this world that are never highlighted in today's negative information space. 

Love this!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Thanks, Holly.  I hope your work situation improves.  That's a lot of turnover.   Jay- I was getting worried about you.

We had a good time at dinner and at the Ryman for Prairie Home Companion last night, but for us it was a late night.  They aren't up yet, Ken is at PT, and I've run 3.7 miles on the treadmill, walked Robert Earl briefly in the pouring rain and then my umbrella blew off the front porch and I can't find it.   Ugh.  We are going to go out to breakfast if they ever get up!

Catch y'all later.  It's really bad weather here!

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Dave59

I did my usual kettlebell workout this morning. Now I just try to keep a level head at work. 

Parkrun sends some weekly statistics to its participants. Here was last week to give you an idea the size of the cult.

🌍 Last week at parkrun around the world, there were...

📌 2,099 events
                🙌 359,266 walkers, joggers, runners and volunteers
                🎉 21,633 first-timers
                😁 28,938 PBs

(There was almost 28,939 PBs.)

Dave, your parkrun stats!

🏠 Charleston parkrun, West Virginia is your home event
                🏁 You have walked, jogged or run 27 parkruns
                💜 You have volunteered 2 times
                🎉 Your first ever parkrun took place on 2022-03-19

Marathon Maniac #957

We are going to go out to breakfast lunch if they ever get up!

ftfy

Wow Dave, that's a lot of Parkrunners!  The closest one to me is about 45 minutes away.  I will likely check it out, but not until the weather warms up a bit.  Even when I was running higher mileage, I very rarely raced in the winter months.  There is just too much chance that I will be cold....

Norm- that was a great post.  It really was.  Reminds me to practice gratitude.   Steve- you might have a typo in your post at the end of yesterday's thread!  Smile

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

C-R

Hey Karen - tell us you're a runner without telling us you're a runner. Early rise for a run and wondering why everyone is not awake yet. Good luck on the brunch. Lovelace for biscuits?

I have tried to get our runners club and community to start a Parkrun for several years with 0 traction. Such a great idea to get people moving but no one wants the responsibility and liability. Ugh.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                      "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Dave - nice weekly Parkrun world results. Just the kind of incentive many of us need.

Jay - yikes! Be careful driving if the weather back there's as bad as it looks. Too bad you're so busy; KSA might have a couple of guests she could let you borrow.

KSA - i was wondering how many enchanting goddesses Steve has in his life too.

i guess in order to keep up with the extreme winter weather warnings all over the country, we're calling the ongoing steady dropping of yesterday's 43F to this morning's 22F going down to 14 or 15F by tomorrow morning as warranting an "extreme weather warning" too and, I guess, there was a brief shower of hail and some sleet yesterday too so maybe for us, it is, though for me, it isn't

With the stupid sister Seahawks owner she inherited from her billionaire Microsoft co-founder brother firing beloved coach Pete Carroll and the UW ending their best season ever with a big fizzle loss to the University of Michigan, the Seattle Kraken recovering from 8 straight losses earlier in the season with an eighth straight win last night over a certain team from the other Washington are offering the city a brief glimmer of hope. Thank you.

---

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Well we managed to run a good hard 8 miler this morning (running Farleks, 1 lap out of every mile at full speed 8 laps/mile) so we will be ready for the Sunday run, wherever it ends up being for a longer distance. A weird thing about running track is because they change direction of the flow every day you have to plan accordingly not to be always running in the same direction. Otherwise, you can end up creating injuries by putting stress on leg parts due to compensation and creating uneven biomechanics in your stride. Have a great day Masters!

We got a new case at work, about a fist fight between sisters Shauntoja, Shauneque, and Shaunesha.....

LOL!

Jay, that is exciting about the press conference!  Kudos to your work on these proposals.

Yeah, it's cold out there. Will do a bundled up walk later. I actually like these temperatures as I grew up in them, and heck, it means some sun is out, which makes me happy. I don't like the eventual dry, itchy skin it creates and staticky hair.

Dave, the Parkrun stats remind me of Google timeline updates. Anyone else get those? I find them a bit amusing, and enjoy seeing that I actually went somewhere last month or year even if it was to the next town over, because I tend to think I've done nothing interesting, but then it shows me that I've actually gone and done stuff. Also amazed it can pinpoint trails I hiked at. I don't mind be followed by Big Brother.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Dave59

Dave, the Parkrun stats remind me of Google timeline updates. Anyone else get those? I find them a bit amusing, and enjoy seeing that I actually went somewhere last month or year even if it was to the next town over, because I tend to think I've done nothing interesting, but then it shows me that I've actually gone and done stuff. Also amazed it can pinpoint trails I hiked at. I don't mind be followed by Big Brother.

I like the google timelines. I recently got one for the whole past year. From where I live, most my trips were to my family in Gaylord Michigan and family in Navarre Florida. It is practically a straight line north and south.  I had very little east to west movement in 2023.

Quickadder

He runs with a group called Ainsley's Angels. Inspired by Dick Hoyt. They take disabled kids out for 5ks to marathons on running buggies. What an interesting conversation. Made me reflect on all of the blessings I have but more so on the goodness of so many people in this world that are never highlighted in today's negative information space. Ok enough of that. I was better for having run with him and look forward to the next run/conversation.

Dick Hoyt did a lot for incorporating disabled athletes into events, but I think you will find that the inspiration for Ainsley's Angels was Ainsley Rossiter. Runners World article at The Legacy of Ainsley's Angels | Runner's World (runnersworld.com). Also lots of details at ainsleysangels.org

Ainsley's grandparents were local to where I live and there have been annual 5K Ainsley's Angels events here for several years. I ran the race in each year 2015-2018. If I remember correctly, Ainsley won the 2015 race with her chair pushed by a couple of Marines, but passed away a few months later.

Started running at age 60.

AG 60-64 PR - 5K 25:45, 10K 53:28, HM 1:57:39, Marathon 4:32:09

AG 65-69 PR - 5K 26:11, HM 2:02:39, Marathon 5:04:47

Upcoming race: Four on the 4th 7/4/24 maybe.