Masters Running

Total Eclipse of the Sun 4.8.2024 (Read 38 times)

Kicking us off.   We all know what day it is.

For me, it is also Gotcha Day celebration for Robert Earl- 1 year.  He and I had special time together at 2:40 am this morning when he needed to go out and walk ahead of the very small thunder storm.  He kept me awake for quite a bit after that since there was distant thunder.

I thought the rain was coming back, so I did treadmill.  It didn't rain.  4.3 miles done.

Great pictures, Steve.

I had a Fleet Feet Ambassador kick off function last night which was excellent.  I know the owner of the 6 local stores, and she's awesome.  She's married to Bob Kennedy, the former Olympian and IU grad.  She gave us some insight into the Fleet Feet philosophy (at least her 6 stores) so that we can best represent them.  They gave us 30% off on New Balance last night and the rep was there.  I got some Rebels.  We got some more shirts and swag and a taco dinner.  She wants Fleet Feet to be completely inclusive (and our Ambassador group sure is) and serve and educate the customers and not be about just "selling." 

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

KSA - me too with rain that was threatening from this morning's solid cloud cover that's going to make the 20% eclipse at 11:29 am a big fizzle for two miles down and around the cityside when the tented enclave is concentrated at other end I don't have to go by all the litter and what the city calls their "biowaste" plus an egg stop at Safeway where, instead of the cheapest dozen they have I usually buy for $3.89 or so, I thought about Steve's pics and the eggs my DS brings over from Idaho where he has a big chicken coop in the back yard too and got some $10.99 "Pasture Raised" organics that had a 30% coupon getting back just as the rain started.

I thought the rain was coming back, so I did treadmill.  It didn't rain.  4.3 miles done.

She's married to Bob Kennedy, the former Olympian and IU grad.  She gave us some insight into the Fleet Feet philosophy (at least her 6 stores) so that we can best represent them.  

KSA - neat but how do you represent them other than herein where you're doing such a good job that if I'd ever break my vow in 1990 never to spend the $50 or whatever running shoes cost back then when I ran my first barefoot marathon in the 1990 Goodwill Games, I'd buy New Balance through you for sure. Glad you don't sell socks, though.

Happy eclipse to those in the totality,

clear and sunny or not, it's unforgettable

to have it turn to night in the middle of the day.

Happy birthday pics yet?

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

We represent them with social media posts showing what we have bought and reviewing product, steering people to the stores, being present at the many community events/races etc that Fleet Feet helps sponsor, and by being good members of our running communities.

Hey All - I've been missing for awhile.  Went to Portland to visit Karen, then have been playing catch up at work ever since.  I got in a couple of short runs while I was there.

The drive was brutal on my right hamstring.  Then my short B2B runs last Wednesday and Thursday kind of put things over the edge and I'm now flirting with high hamstring tendinopathy, which translates into a literal pain the butt.  I see my physio on Wednesday, I didn't do my LR on Saturday, only a 3-mile EZ run on Sunday, and have been doing PT exercises for it since Saturday, but I don't know how this is going to affect things in the long term.  To say I'm really upset about this is an understatement as it has the potential of derailing my entire season.  But we'll see what my physio has to say on Wednesday.

Eclipse - I'm guessing we may see a very small part of it (?).  Don't know and mostly likely won't go outside to look since I don't have the glasses.

Okay - Back to it!

Leslie
          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Dave59

Today was supposed to be a kettlebell workout, but I woke up really sore from pulling weeds yesterday. Bending over and crawling around on my knees for a couple hours did a number on me.

We will have 94.5% coverage of the sun at 3:12 today. I have some glasses to go take a look. It won't be much to see. Anything less than totality is still pretty sunny. It's a couple hour drive to see totality but people are making such a big deal out of this I would just as well avoid the crowds and chaos. I've heard of people driving a thousand miles to see it. 

We had about the same coverage back in 2017 so I know what to expect.

Also had a little earthquake not too far away in eastern Kentucky this morning. So little, no one felt anything, but it was in the local news.

Marathon Maniac #957

Hey folks. We are in the middle of the eclipse here, full totality is about 9 minutes after 3:00. I think. Right now when you look outside it just looks kind of dim. Almost like a cloudy day or one of those old movies where the supposedly night time scenes were actually filmed in the daytime with a filter over them. When I use the glasses I can look up and see that it's more than half covered. At this point, we are mostly clear but with those high thin clouds but that's not really getting in the way when you put the glasses on and look at the Sun. I'm going to put the dogs on a leash and take them outside and see if their behavior changes when we get to full totality in about 20 minutes.

3 miles for me this morning.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

anneb

Our 93.9% was at 2:07 - like Dave said, it was still pretty bright out. Honestly I expected more 😆 It just looked a little odd out, weird shadows and stuff. This is probably why I don't remember anything about the 2017 eclipse (it was not memorable either).

Happy Gotcha Day to RE - only a year? Sorry about the thunder... I have one of those too (scaredy-dogs).

2+ miles for me early (for me) this morning. It's a gorgeous, 70-degree day, but I've been inside since I got to work.

Anne

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Holly - neat. Unless Jay's been camping out for it , I think you're our only totality.  Several Marathon Maniacs went down for a marathon during one in Australia in 2012.

Leslie - did you happen to buy a Powerball ticket while you were in Portland?

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Jlynne

Our totality was about the same as anneb's, maybe a little less. One of my co-workers had a pair of glasses that she was kind enough to share with all of us. I was pleasantly surprised to see anything at all after the local weatherman's forecast.  We even had people coming in our candy shoppe looking to purchase eclipse sunglasses. I told my boss they missed a window of opportunity. They could have made the glasses out of chocolate, which you could eat after the eclipse was over. No waste! 

Leslie - I'm sorry about your hamstring. I hope your physio can fix you up.

Karen - another pair of shoes?!! Didn't you just get some from Rabbit last week?! We need a picture of your shoe closet!

12 miles on my Matrix cycle this morning, and 25 minutes of upper body weights and core stuff before I went to work.

Looking forward to the last March Madness game for 2024 tonight. If UConn wins, I'll win our family pool and the $50 prize money. Go  Huskies!!

Marathon Maniac #957

The little bit of high clouds here did not get in the way at all.  I put the dogs on leashes and sat out on the front step, but they paid no attention at all to the time of totality.  They just wanted to take a walk, which we eventually did.  Many of the neighbors were home and out on their porches or in lawn chairs to watch.  I was maybe slightly disappointed in the whole thing (I really thought it would get darker) but I am glad to have had the experience.  The next total solar eclipse will not be seen in Ohio until 2099, so this was my chance.  Of course my cellphone can't get a good image, but here's a shot I took.

May be an image of eclipse

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Yeah, I have lots of shoes.  I use them for fewer miles than most people.  I like running shoes!  At least it isn't cars or something really expensive.

Hey sun gazers!

Or is that sun geezers?

We were on the road for a week, but I got a couple runs in, including 5 miler up Pringle Butte and back in Oregon.

Today did 6 miles, the first 5k in about 26:00 then a walk and a jog back to the car.

And I did today's run in new (to me) shoes, because I picked up a relatively unused pair of Saucony Endorphin Speed-3 at a thrift store for $10. Add that to the NB Rebel-4 I picked up before the trip and it adds up to too many shoes. I think I'm set until next year.

Camping next to the Deschutes just across from Warm Springs Rez:

Cloud Sky Vehicle Mountain Van

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

SteveP

KSA - That sounds like a long day.

Tetsujin209 - That's a lot for eggs.

Leslie - How is Karen?

Holly - That's much better than anything I got.

Happy camping Surly.

It was raining when I got up and I did not make myself get on the mill.  I did my Hinge Health PT.  It may have been a good thing.  My officemate/replacement was pale, and he ran to the restroom to barf.  I strongly encourage him to leave.  If he did, I was going to.  Anyway, it was nonstop but not overwhelming.  A driver came in.  This was it.  The end of the world.  I told him that it was nice working with him.  After he left, it dawned on me, as much as I like what I do, if it was the world was ending, I would not have gone to work.

There was another driver older than me.  He invested heavily in digital currency because the dollar was going to tank 4/8/24.  I guess I don't understand how eclipses work.

A driver came in a few minutes after hours.  He told me this was the day that satanists were taking over a particle accelerator and opening a black hole.  I guess I don't understand black holes either.

I had signed up for a volunteer shift at the local Home Builders Association.  After setup, there wasn't much to do except shmooze, eat and drink.  I did 2/3rds.  It was like a class reunion.  It was nice to see long time acquaintances and meet new people.  I had to sneak away a few times to work the hip.

I got home and there were two pups in the yard.  They took off running towards the highway.  One was a little interested in chatting with me, but the other bolted.  I grabbed extra leashed and our dog.  I hoped the two would be curious about Dunkin.  They were not and made it across the highway.  I decided to take our mutt for a little walk, but I was done.

I did get a few glimpses of the eclipse/end of humanity through a very dirty dome on a forklift I borrowed.  It was kinda cool.  I glanced but did not stare.

SteveP