Masters Running

123123 Daily (Read 36 times)

1.8 mile power walk to finish the year with 1061 miles

Youngest ds just came over to bring dh a cookbook he had ordered for him for Christmas - stayed for over an hour while we snacked on cheese, crackers and other little things. So nice to have an unexpected visit with him without the chaos - I mean festivites - of a big gathering!!

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!

I will more than likely be sound asleep at midnight!!

denise

Wow- I missed a lot today!  We got busy and I finally went out to run about 10:30 for 5 miles.  Total 2023 of 2185.  Holly- I'm glad things are going well for you at home and that you both are sticking to the agreement!  Tom- good to hear from you and I'm sorry about your BIL and the other sad news.  I hope 2024 is better for many of our group.  BTY- good post and my fear of being on the vestry at church (which I'm not at this point) is that a lot of people burn out big time after a vestry stint.  I guess your Elder slot would be similar??  Someone said it is too much "seeing how the sausage is made."  I'm serving in a lot of ways for now, and trying to pace myself.

IT was a sunny, nice day today.  Kiley feels a little better but not good.  He has asthma and uses an inhaler, and I can tell his airway is tight.  We did go out to Chuy's for Mexican food for lunch, though.

What is this "midnight" of which you speak?  No way for us.  Nashville has this massive NYE celebration with a bunch of stars and live performances.  We stay WAY clear!

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Tet; have you tried the psychological tricks of distracting yourself by getting deeply involved in something? Something that requires a lot of attention, like Swiss Watch repair, or a video game. Or the other proven trick, getting really mad about something you have no control over. It IS a presidential election year, so there's no lack of material to get mad about.

Or maybe hit your thumb with a hammer so all your pain focusing cells look at that instead...

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

wildchild

Carolyn

I went out for a 1.7 mile run, so I could end both the month and the year on prime numbers, with a little rounding!   I pretty much never do such a short run, but my legs are pretty tired from yesterday's 13, and I'm meeting friends tomorrow for a 10 miler, so I decided against running another 8 miles to hit the next prime.

Wishing all of you a very happy and healthy 2024!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Marathon Maniac #957

Tet; have you tried the psychological tricks of distracting yourself by getting deeply involved in something?

SB - I think that Tet is using the pain pills just to help him get a good night's sleep..

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Here's what I posted on Facebook about the non-running related 2023 thoughts I had.  Since I mentioned y'all!

Looking back on 2023-For me it was a year of appreciating the many communities that support me and have embraced me as I adjusted to retirement kicking and screaming. Some are running related, like my RunningAhead group, but most encompass all aspects of life and its struggles. Foremost is my family, of course. My church communities at St. Paul's have been such a blessing and I've made so many new friends there. My neighborhood is the greatest! My special Facebook group- you know who you are- is always supportive, fun and "real." Our Golden Retriever rescue organization and Adopters Facebook group is the best- and this year brought the loss of one Golden (and a dear cat) and the coming of Robert Earl (Golden) into our home. He is my best friend. My Vanderbilt sports community on social media can be....difficult....but tries to put up with my basketball optimism. My former high school classmates, my Rabbit teammates, my former co-workers--- all these are communities that I rely upon. I've lost some friends this year but have gained many more. I try to stay net ahead all the way around. We don't know what 2024 will bring for any of us, but we can try for good health, good friends, a strong Faith and good pets!

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

TammyinGP

Just wanted to pop in and wish you all a Happy New Years Eve!

My husband and I got our home all undecorated from Christmas and it is always amazing to me how much larger our small home feels once we put that all away. I'm not sure why because our decor is fairly simple and easy - we don't have a lot of stuff out. But I guess just having a 6 ft tree in the house and more items out for display makes a difference. 

Enjoy your evening everyone!

Tammy

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Happy New Years!!!

Jlynne--hope the Packers continue!!

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Mike E

MM #5615

Jlynne--hope the Packers continue!!

Hey!  I’m sitting right here!

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Surly, Holly, dnaff, roch, Tom, all - thanks. Fortunately, the only time the pain seems to be going beyond "tolerable," "acceptable," discomfort seems to be at zzz-time but the one or two doses of PK pills more than dampen the pain sensations to sleepable levels and, since I don't perceive any of the "sensations of pleasure" than can lead to addition, I have no qualms about using them until not necessary anymore..

Since Dr. Quack "forgot" to include any PK's in all the eye drops, etc. prescriptions when I was sent home from the cornea transplant in 2020 that had my head exploding through the night like a war was going on inside and grimacing, grittingvb, saying bad words, etc., I know full well what real pain is like and I'm grateful to be a far cry from anything like that from the continuing knee surgery discomfort.

My main issue is the skimipy and misleading "use-as-needed" pain management coverage in the more than 50 pages of pre-and-post surgery materials indicating that "most patients will need to take pain medication for 1-2 weeks after surgery" when I'm now almost four weeks needing 'em and Jay indicating that even he still needs a Tylenol or two more than eight weeks after his. I am more than ready for the "three months of recovery" from a total knee replacement but just didn't realize that it included on-going pain management too.

SB - I think that Tet is using the pain pills just to help him get a good night's sleep..

Holly - yep, .. . plus I've got a bunch of super water proof big bandage wraps from our Medicare Advantage OTC I'm going to ask the surgeon at Wednesday's second post op about for possible cold water immerses I like.

Tet; have you tried the psychological tricks of distracting yourself by getting deeply involved in something? Something that requires a lot of attention, like  . . . .

Surly - thanks, As if some of the football games aren't enough, also especially for some of your posts, and some of the other incomprehensibles on shoes, electronic gadgets, etc., have been a big help in this regard.  Smile

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

SteveP

Tom White - Thank you so much for popping in.  What you and Pickles have been through is incredibly tough.  I'm sorry for your losses.

If anyone is curious, DH and I have been doing really well the last few months.  Both of us have been honoring our agreement/promises, and so things have been going very smoothly.  Fingers crossed.

I hope it lasts a lifetime.  I echo BTY's concern.

BTY - Those miles workout to an incredible amount of waterlogged time.  You're probably aware of that.

We had 4/9 of the grandkids over.  I got a mile with the mutt.

SteveP