Masters Running

December 2023 & Full Year Masters Miles (Read 34 times)

Thanks Joe - I love this thread and reading everyone's stories!!

85.1  -  December miles

1061 - total miles - running and walking combined - I choose not to separate them as I feel the walking miles are just as and in some ways even more important to my overall well-being as the running miles

Awful/Awkward moments - would be my 2 falls. I fell once during my first 25k trail race in May then the second was out on a SS run with a friend. Both times I fell so hard I was stunned, but at least nothing was broken (as far as I know).

Highlight - running the Flying Pig half marathon in a deluge!! It was pretty crazy running in that weather and then having the sun come out full force while our marathon friends were still running!!

Carolyn - I LOVE that photo!! It truly embodies joy for life!!!!

denise

moebo

Yay, Moebo!  Primes for the year and the month!  I managed that too, with some minor rounding to make both work.

Carolyn, I have to admit that those primes were thanks to you! Whenever I get near the end of the month, I think of you and start trying to plan my miles so I end up with a prime. This year was a bit tricky, since I had totally forgotten that I needed to keep track of where I was in my yearly mileage, too. Luckily, I found a couple of solutions: On Dec 31st, I had to do either 4.3 or 10.3 to end up with a double prime. Of course I chose 10.3 

Also, that photo is fantastic!

I forgot to say that one of the highlights of December was running my first 5K in many years. I had forgotten how much fun that could be!

pfriese

Thanks Joe for all these tabulations & kudos each month.

December running: 106.6 miles

2023 running: 2138 miles

Major goals for 2023 were to run 2000 miles and BQ. Success on both counts even if my BQ was not quite fast enough for BE.

Goal for 2024... run 2000 miles.

Paul

My annual miles are generally pretty consistent so I don't worry about it.  Also, a few years ago I started setting a very low goal, with the fun little twist on the year, like a goal of 1023 miles for 2023.  I know I met that goal sometime in December but have fallen behind in my log and am unsure but I think it's 1180 for the year after looking at the log I keep for Coach Katie.  This year my goal will be 1024.  Trying for 2000+ just isn't realistic but who knows, maybe I'll end up close to that this year or the next.  I still have a dream to BQ as I look ahead 3 years to turning 65, just like every time I enter a new AG!  Getting more miles in would probably help if that looks like a realistic goal.

December was a mostly unstructured month, and I ended up with 105 running miles.  Only had 2 bike rides for 23 miles and had hoped for more.  Thanks!

"I didn’t run a race until I was 41 and that was a marathon! Let that sink in for a minute." -me

Mike E

MM #5615

Thanks for another good year of doing this, Joe.  I don't know why it has taken me so long to get in here and post my miles.

I only had three races in 2023... The Hogeye Marathon in April and the Casper Marathon in June.  I was able to get them both under 3:30, which leaves me with one state to have them all under 3:30.  And I did a half marathon in September

December: 170 Miles

2023: 2023 Miles

I think the most awesome thing that happened, for me, is when two guys recognized me from two separate races we had run in and wanted to take their pictures with me.

The most awful, I would say is when I was in pure agony with a sore inner thigh muscle that sent me to the ER just about a month before Casper.  I'm not sure I have ever been in that much pain, before.

Awkward?  I guess I would say, thinking I had set a State Record in the Half Marathon and waiting for an hour after the race to be recognized for it, only to find out that, while I had broken the previous record, another guy had, too... about 2 minutes before me.

Okay--that just about wraps up 2023 for me.  See ya!

Dave59

December: 68.5 miles

2023: 800.68 miles

I made up my mind last year to run the Charleston 15 Mile Distance Run. I had run that race in 1989 and have put off a return for the last 34 years. I put together a plan based off a Higdon half marathon plan. I did everything I planned, but the strange thing was that I never improved during the training. I never got stronger or faster. Then the race came and I did complete it, but it was probably one of the worst races of my life. Oh well, I accomplished my goal.... sort of anyway.

I have a simple goal this year: Break 28:14 at the Charleston Parkrun. I ran a 28:15 in my first attempt. I am going to eat better, drop a few pounds, and try again.  Maybe I'll line up closer to the start line and shave off a second that way. Or maybe get a pair of Nike Vaporfly shoes. Those are supposed to make you a few seconds per mile faster.

Joe618

Wow...what great stories from all of you about December and 2023.   Your consistency and perseverance is so impressive. Tot   

If you haven’t yet, scroll back and read all the moments you’ve described.   I won’t even try to summarize it in the charts below.   We all like to track our numbers, but the stories we’ve each gone through from literal and figurative mountaintops to literal and figurative low points, it all makes us the runners we are.   

The totals are in and I needed to put my laptop into a snowbank to cool it off, the totals were so hot.   

For the month of December, we had  21 check ins, with 6  primes, a solid  29%  hit rate.    The Marvelous Middle Runners were Opie and WildChild.   

<colgroup><col width="100" /><col width="62" /><col width="69" /><col width="134" /></colgroup>
                Name Miles Prime? Summary
                RunnerKSA 179 !  
                MikeE 170    
                milktruck 163 !  
                Quickadder 157 !  
                moebo 137 !  
                Joe618 116    
                pfriese 107 !  
                Opie 105    
                wildchild 89 !  
                sub7 87    
                deez4boyz 85    
                Dave59 69    
                coastwalker 63    
                RCG 54    
                fatozzig 42    
                TammyinGP 36    
                evanflein     213 Bile Miles
                BTY     35.2 Swim Miles
                rochrunner     126 Bike Miles

For the full calendar year, the miles are amazing!!   We had 22 check ins, thank you!   What is truly amazing is how many of you managed to get to a prime number...the higher you go on the number line, the farther apart are the prime numbers!!    Six primes for a 27% hit rate...very impressive.   The Marvelous Median Runner for 2023 was TammyinGP!   What a coveted prize!  

<colgroup><col width="100" /><col width="79" /><col width="97" /><col width="109" /></colgroup>
                Name Miles Prime? Summary
                RunnerKSA 2,185    
                pfriese 2,138    
                MikeE 2,023    
                coastwalker 1,743    
                sub7 1,458    
                wildchild 1,451 !  
                Joe618 1,431    
                moebo 1,303 !  
                TammyinGP 1,200    
                milktruck 1,183 !  
                Opie 1,180    
                Quickadder 1,129 !  
                fatozzig 1,087 !  
                deez4boyz 1,061 !  
                Dave59 801    
                bioguy 621    
                RCG 404    
                evanflein     5,357 bike miles
                BTY     325 swim miles
                rochrunner     2,091 bike miles

Great work, all of you!!   We’ll do January numbers on Thursday!!

Persevere.

________

I have nothing particularly clever or profound to add as a tag to each message...I just like to run.   

TammyinGP

wow!  What a great summary of monthly and yearly miles!

and a surprise to read that I actually won an award! real or not. it's an honor! 

celebrity one shots - *Gif Imagine: Taylor Swift (4) - Wattpad

Tammy