Masters Running

Training week ending December 9-10, 2023 (Read 9 times)

Alexander R

Greetings, runners! Please tell us about your past training week and upcoming goals.

Alexander R

Mon 0
      Tue 0
      Wed 8mi (1:07) tm
      Thu 7mi (0:56) tm
      Fri 7mi (1:07) tm
      Sat 4.5mi (1:11) with DW
      Sun 10mi (1:25) tm

Total: 36.6 miles

taking it easy and trying to recover.

I am done with racing for a while

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

Alexander - I had no idea the game didn't have playoffs in the past.  I think I would like it better that way.  Because everyone makes the playoffs now, it feels to me like two games - one that runs for 41 weeks and another that runs for 9 weeks.  Enjoy your resting/recovery time.  After two marathons in one month you certainly have earned it.

I, on the other hand, have had a month of mostly easy running since the marathon and am back to training.  The first set of repeats in my training plan have a lot of recovery, proportionate to the fast work, but I see it mostly as getting accustomed to that kind of running again.  Plus, all that recovery time gave my RP and me more time to chat and catch up with each other.  32.6 miles for the week.  Also, Sunday's run got me over 2,000 miles for the year; only the second time I've reached that level.

Date Workout Type Distance Duration Pace Temp
        12/6/2023  12 x 400m/400m Repeats   8.4 mi 1:20:16   9:34  32
        12/7/2023   Easy   3.6 mi    38:17 10:39  34
        12/8/2023   Easy 10.0 mi 1:41:25 10:07  45
        12/9/2023   Easy   3.4 mi    39:41 11:41  34
        12/10/2023  4 @ HM Pace Pace   7.2 mi 1:09:33   9:43  48
        5k 23:48.45 (3/22); 4M 31:26 (2/22); 5M 38:55 (11/23); 10k 49:24 (10/22); 
        10M 1:29:33 (2/24); Half 1:48:32 (10/22); Marathon 4:29:58 (11/23)

Upcoming races: Scotch Plains 5k, 6/12; Firecracker 4-miler, 7/4

pfriese

Paul, same here! My team lost in the 1st round and that was it for me. I've been slacking big time ever since.

I still sort of have my personal goal, of course, but it is not nearly as motivating as running for the team

I met my original goal of 2000 miles in November. I had adjusted my game goal to 2200 in July. With my slacking, I'll probably not reach that. However, this will be my 2nd highest annual mileage thanks to the game.

Alexander - I had no idea the game didn't have playoffs in the past.  I think I would like it better that way.  Because everyone makes the playoffs now, it feels to me like two games - one that runs for 41 weeks and another that runs for 9 weeks.  Enjoy your resting/recovery time.  After two marathons in one month you certainly have earned it.

I didn't realize the game didn't have playoffs in the past either. I've also always considered it 2 games in 1 with the regular season having a champion & then the tournament champion.

The weather was good last week and that helped with ramping up my weekly mileage.

M - rest

T - 6.1 miles (10:06/mile)

W - 6.2 miles (9:36/mile)

Th - 6.2 miles (9:47/mile)

F - 8.6 miles (9:53/mile)

Sa - 3.1 miles (10:01/mile)

Su - rest

Total - 30.2 miles

Paul

TammyinGP

I ran 0 miles last week, so this is an easy recap for me. 

Just decided to take the whole week off. apparently that game is more of a motivator than i thought. lol. 

I didn't know there used to not be playoffs either, although long ago where there were 10+ teams, not every team made it to the playoffs. I don't think we'll see that kind of participation again. I wonder if they even got enough sign ups to do it again next year? They were still short of the required amount yesterday. I don't care for the format of all teams making playoffs either - because like you mentioned it's like 2 games. The real only advantage to being one of the consistently strong teams in the top 2/3 of the bracket is that those teams are still working together and trying to reach goals. Generally the bottom two teams are pretty disconnected and not playing together as a team much so will be out the first round. Go The Distance - case in point - they never got their team together the whole year - they didn't connect - lost interest - didn't play the game as "a team". So the quarterfinals were just going through the motions to get eliminated. waste of everyone's time. 

Anyhoooo - enough of game analysis!  I'll run this week. We have decent weather to do so. mild in the low 50's, minimal chance of rain. Nice for winter running but not nice to building up any sort of snow pack in the mountains.

Tammy

Quickadder

Generally the bottom two teams are pretty disconnected and not playing together as a team much so will be out the first round. 

The Gogos finished in 7th place and are in the final, but I think this may be the exception that proves the rule. The team were pretty disconnected for much of the year but came together in time for the playoffs. The catalyst could have been a vote to remove a team member that had 3 non-consecutive zeroes, but it could just have been coincidence that the team came together around that time.

I took a cutback week between the SF and final but maintained my current streak of 2+ miles per day on the TM at better than 10:00 pace. Streak at 146 days by the end of the week.

Monday       2.1 miles (9:42 pace)

Tuesday      2.5 miles (9:24)

Wednesday 2.3 miles (9:19)

Thursday     2.1 miles (9:42)

Friday          2.5 miles (9:24) - hit 1000 miles for the year.

Saturday     3.2 miles (8:36) - 5K time trial in 26:44, fastest 5K in almost 4 years.

Sunday        2.3 miles (9:43)

Total        17 miles

It looks as though the 2024 game failed to reach the minimum participation level necessary. Not sure what happens next. I'll see if I can brainstorm with the other admins to see if we can come up with some alternatives, but creative suggestions are welcome.

Started running at age 60.

AG 60-64 PR - 5K 25:45, 10K 53:28, HM 1:57:39, Marathon 4:32:09

AG 65-69 PR - 5K 26:11, HM 2:02:39, Marathon 5:04:47

Upcoming race: Four on the 4th 7/4/24 maybe.

Alexander R

Sunday's run got me over 2,000 miles for the year; only the second time I've reached that level.

Fred and Paul, congratulations to you both on 2,000+ miles!!

A number like that is simply not possible without being extremely consistent, week after week.

I looked it up and I first played the game in 2016, it was very different back then. 20 teams with 20 runners in each team. Almost hard to believe,

Here's the link:  2016 game

Tammy, taking a week off makes total sense after a hard effort. I am almost happy now that my team was kicked out in the first round, I am not sure if I'd be able to keep pushing  so hard and for so long.

Quickadder, that's an impressive streak already! 2 mile minimum makes it quite a bit harder. Personally, I would not add a pace target on top of that. Every now and then I have days when I struggle with any pace, like, I'd average 15min or 16min miles for a short run and even that would feel hard.