Masters Running

A Brand New Day 12/28/23 (Read 39 times)

C-R

Hey Masters. Nice recap Steve.

I get the need to say something to your priest. As others have said there are good and poor priests just like in all areas. DW didn't like our former lead priest and hasn't been to Mass in many years. As a sacristan I get to interact with our priests (we have 3) many times and at the moment our crew is really good but hasn't always been that way. If others have a similar opinion there is strength in numbers. He may not even realize some of the issues. Good luck and definitely have your DW read and help.

Regards the KoC - of course there will be a good party. One thing our Council is good at is hosting pancake breakfasts, fish dinners and such with loads of fun.

Got a run in around lunch. Sluggish legs but still managed a nice 4. I'll ride later.

Cheers.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
    "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

dnaff - I feel for you re the PT and insurance crap.  You'd think insurance companies would want people to do everything possible to be healthy and whole, but things are so backwards.  And $900/hr for self pay.  Holy crap!  

Leslie
      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Marathon Maniac #957

dnaff $900 an hour!!! Seriously, there are really good PTs out there that will treat you for cash for a LOT less. My PT charges me $100 hour, when I need to self pay, and she is terrific. Try asking around a bit. I cannot imagine there are not other good PTs in your area for less.

+1

Another note about our mattress - DH and I both believe it is the most comfortable mattress we have owned - far more comfortable than the Tempur-Pedic we used to have (that cost twice as much).  Add to that - DH has 3 herniated/ruptured discs in his back, and he does not get back pain from sleeping on this mattress.  I'm not sure how long we have had it - maybe 3 years?  Still no people-dents in it.  Probably time to flip it, though.

Tammy - I grew up with a stepmom who disliked me.  "You're a hateful little bi$ch and you have been since you were 3 years old!"  was a mantra that I heard over and over and over.  My father always sided with her, telling me when I was 11 that, "Children are a temporary obligation, then they go off and live their own lives," as his excuse.  I didn't meet my birth mom until I was 30 or so, and she was kind of a nut job, so no help there.  I have always worried that I am a bad mom because I had no good role models.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Yeah-PT and insurance can be a deal breaker.  That's a pretty stiff hourly rate!  I hope you can make progress on your own.

Thanks for the start, Steve.  I feel for you with the Pastor issues.  We are so fortunate with our Rector of 6 or 7 years now and our Associate Rector who has been there much longer (female).  They are both fantastic and my daughter has the same situation with her Rector and herself.  We had a big glitch in our Rector search, though (previous Rector had been there forever and retired) with a horrific Interim who wound up sexually harassing some women and staff!

We got this Sam's mattress about 3 years ago (Queen) at a good price and it basically failed.  Ken and I are not big people, but it indented on each of our sides.  It was still under warranty and Sam's bumped us to their own Serta (or Sealy- I forget) department and they came and got it and refunded all the money.  I suspect this was a defective design and they were used to the calls.  We went to Mattress Firm to replace it this past summer and had a really good salesman who knew his stuff. We tried out a few and got one with the base where you can raise the head or foot up so you can sit up and read or watch TV.  It's a Simmons.  So far so good.

Leslie's post was spot on.  I'm amazed at how well this group does as far as getting along and being respectful of each other.  I'm the one who is banned from the RA Women's Forum and also banned from a site called College Confidential, and I don't consider myself particularly contentious online!  We do pretty well, but we are a bunch of different personalities, and many have not met in person, so there will be some occasional brief missteps.

I was totally unmotivated, and it was chilly out.  I finally got out about 10:30 and started at the high school and did some neighborhoods around there.   Before I started, my son called and said he was running from the house through some woods to a trail head and he wanted me to pick him up after I ran.  What could go wrong?  I didn't think what he was trying to do was safe, and I wasn't optimistic about meeting up, but miraculously it worked out and he just waited a few minutes for me.   6 miles for me and about the same for him.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

BTY

So, my wife and I suffered through a really old and uncomfortable mattress for most of our life together, simply because we couldn't afford a new mattress and box spring.  Then we bought a new set one year and were terribly disappointed in it.   So about 5 years ago, she splurged and bought a new foundation set, and we bought a memory foam mattress from WalMart.   It was heavenly for the first three years.  Considering the mattress cost about $300, I thought that was pretty good.  We're in about year 5 or 6 now and flipping it end-to-end no longer helps with the people dents, so I just ordered a new 10" King Size memory foam mattress from Amazon.  It had a 4.8 out of 5 review based on several hundred reviews, and was only about $250 including the mattress and the cooling mattress topper (special request from DW).

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Surly - we got the Morgedal too with Ikea’s six-drawer frame bed
              for $299 and 10yr guarantee = $29.90/yr. I wish we could
              get the same guarantee on us.

dnaff - Jeez, I could have gotten 30 years of mattresses for what your PT charges for an hour. I don’t what Tramps charges but maybe submit your information, needs and goals to his Dr. AI in case it’s up-to-date on physical therapy for runners.

In this regard, one of Leslie’s Trailrunner links from last spring/summer has an episode on “Don’t believe everything you hear, even on ChatGPT” in which three coaches admit that, though ChatGPT’s answers to seven general ultra beliefs were not only mostly good but even “knocked it out of the park,” “I love the answer,” etc., the jury still seems to be out concerning any particular individual’s experience and other variables, . . . but, I bet, things have changed in the last eight months. Good luck.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

dnaff

I suppose I should clarify that $900 per hour is what he bills my insurance.  I’m not sure if his employer has a different fee schedule for a self pay patient.  I’m retired from there and remember differing fee structures being phased out around 2005 or so.  But yes, I’ll do some investigating beforehand should I need therapy again.

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

I think Leslie’s description of this group was perfect.

I ran 10 miles, then went and watched my granddaughter’s basketball game.  

Okay—that’s all I got.  See ya!

People seem surprised that we can get along despite different opinions on touchy subjects.

I'll give you two things I think are reasons why:

1. We share a common interest despite other interests. With that interest comes a certain mindset and shared experience we can relate to, almost like war buddies.

2. We're extremely old, by historical standards, and with that we've experienced a lot, learned not to judge books by their cover, nor carry all our eggs in one basket, not to throw babies out with bathwater, and many other metaphors and parables, too. Like Don't lead a gift horse to water, or You can't teach an old dog a stitch in time.

All of which boil down to: Things are not always as they seem, and rarely are. Which itself further forms a reduction of: You don't know the whole story.

Some of us are slower to learn than others, I wish I had a nickel for every baby I just threw away because the water it was in was dirty. Which I guess was a thing once, hence the saying?

2ez miles, or not so easy; it felt like I was bloated and full, and could only take shallow breaths. The watch-estimated vO2max was all the way down to 43, and I'm normally above 50, and between 55-60 when I've been running consistently and feel lie I'm "in shape". Slight PF after the run a few days ago, too. I guess I'm not past it yet.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

Steve - great recaps the last couple of days

NORM - saw you on the Pelo today and was going to jump on the ride to give you a high five but was running low on time

I worked a double shift yesterday so didn't get home until midnight. Decided it was wise to sleep in this morning and skip the group run esp since the weather was less than ideal as well.

Church, prayer group, then a fabulous over 2 hour lunch catching up with my bf from high school - I love how we still get together a few times/year and talk as if no time has passed!!

3 chilly miles which did not feel so great late afternoon after having lunch out

30 minutes glutes/legs, 5 min core, 10 min stretching - I should do more but I'm tired

Soooooo is anyone else trying to figure out if they can end their yearly total on a prime??????

denise

Quickadder

Soooooo is anyone else trying to figure out if they can end their yearly total on a prime??????

I've figured out that if I run lots of miles this week (which will also help my team in the RA running game final) there are two possibilities where I can end BOTH the month and the year on a prime! 

Started running at age 60.

AG 60-64 PR - 5K 25:45, 10K 53:28, HM 1:57:39, Marathon 4:32:09

AG 65-69 PR - 5K 26:11, HM 2:02:39, Marathon 5:04:47

Upcoming race: Four on the 4th 7/4/24 maybe.

C-R

Very cool Denise. I was wondering who was in a class. I didnt realize peleton would alert you when a friend is in a class. Nice feature. Ill be doing a 60 min power zone tomorrow morning.  I need 15 miles for my yearly goal.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                          "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Holly - I've been thinking about your high school friend who has terminal lung cancer and her request for you to visit.  Unless there's some personal reason you wouldn't feel comfortable and if you can swing it, my recommendation is that you honor her request. There's a reason she reached out to you. Once someone's gone, there are no do-overs and I would hate for you to regret not taking this opportunity to say one last goodbye.

I got in 30 min of core and upper body ST after work.

Then The Hub and I spent the rest of the evening working on a puzzle a friend gave us.  It's been fun working on it together . . . but there's so much pink!!

Leslie
                            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance