Masters Running

Monday 3.25.2024 (Read 36 times)

Dave59

No recap. SteveP kind of covered that at the end of yesterday's thread.

Kettlebell workout this morning plus a bit of a walk for me this morning.

https://scontent.fric1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t39.30808-6/434250947_803152308513436_4048743635369225296_n.jpg?_nc_cat=100&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=5f2048&_nc_ohc=mUMXROUEod4AX9gcKs9&_nc_ht=scontent.fric1-1.fna&oh=00_AfDxs6eaA8f0IzKumr6Ln_V0ynF00rtoIm0wL2D0NA3bdQ&oe=6605EA0C

Marathon Maniac #957

Dave - 

Steve - 4 seconds?  I'm confused.

It was really hard to get out of bed today, so no workout so far.  Maybe something tonight.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Dave59

Steve - 4 seconds?  I'm confused.

That was my first thought but I believe it is 4 minutes and 28 seconds. That sounds about right based on the prior eclipse.

There are some bad eclipse glasses being sold on-line. Make sure your eclipse glasses are good before you look at the sun. ISO 12312-2 certified and check them out with regular light to be doubly sure.

Marathon Maniac #957

That makes sense.  I think in Dayton it is 2 minutes 43 seconds of totality.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Thanks, Dave.  Great cartoon. 

I also did not want to get out of bed (after returning to bed after the 5:50 am Robert Earl walk) and it was really windy outside.  I told myself I would go out and do 2 miles and do more later on the treadmill.  I did 5.1 and the houses and hills break up the wind a fair amount.  I really don't like wind.  I did get a late start (ahhh, retirement!) and now I need to eat breakfast.

Apparently, someone tried to sign into my LinkedIn account in the middle of the night.  I got a legit email from LinkedIn.  Not a platform I would think someone would want to hack, but whatever.  I changed my password.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Morning, Glories -

Seems like most everyone made it through the weekend fairly unscathed.

Saturday as I drove to the trailhead it was pouring down rain, but I managed to dilly-dally long enough in the car that by the time I forced myself to get out, it had let up and then lightly rained off and on the rest of the run . . . until I was about 5 minutes away from my car and then the heavens opened and it just started dumping.  I had to laugh at the ridiculousness of it, but was glad it didn't do that the entire time.

I ran at Headwaters and got about 3/4 of a mile from the top when I came across an enormous redwood that had fallen across the trail,  No matter how long I looked at it and studied it, I could figure out a way to safely get through the debris, so I did what was undoubtedly the smart thing and turned around and ran back down.  I did doubled up on what's Mile 3 on the outbound to get my miles in since there's nowhere else to go.

Yesterday was a rest day, and today was 4 predawn miles under what looked like a full moon.

We got the real estimate on the roof and I am relieved to say that without repairs for any damage that may be there due to whatever's going on, it's half of what the guy who came out and looked at the roof said.  I almost started crying.  The estimate included adding 7 vents.

The 2nd company that came out Friday,  The Hub said the 2 guys looked like they were straight out of San Quentin.  They must've looked bad for him to say that.  He said as soon as he showed them into the backyard, he went back inside and locked the doors and was happy he was the one there to meet them and not me.  No matter what their estimate is, we won't be using them.

One more company will be coming today or tomorrow.

Leslie
              Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

..saw the Barkley post on Sunday's daily......

this thing is Hilarious,>>>>>> a HUGE spoof on Racing

pre-internet you had to figure out how to apply for it

if

you were chosen you sent $1.60 and a license plate from your state

originally

it was a 50-mile FunRun and 100-mile Race

Real Sports did a segment on it, which is probably still online

the application said

'' No Alabama Fans or Women allowed''

WD-40 and Duct Tape were the first aid station

PieJones actually ran it, slipped on a rock and knocked himself out at 73-miles

a film crew

was trying to film it, got lost and nobody found 'em for 5-hours

the original slogan

was-

''More men have walked on the Moon than finished the Barkley''

===========

60s, windy

.....40-min at soccerfields,,,,,,,,,,,,trailboots

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Tom - very neat about

the Barkley poking fun.

Kind of sounds like what

KSA's said about the Monkey.

There's plenty out here

that could have had

similar fun but all

were very serious.

Holly/KSAsorry about the fitful sleeps.

After one-and-a-half months from December of 24/7 knee pain and discomfort and another month of evening time same, I've been getting along without needing to dip into the PK refill I got at my last appointment with Dr. Knee on 3/1 but , though getting to sleep has been okay, I've been regularly waking up about an hour or two into it with Mr. Knee bothering me but have been able to walk it out or alleviate with a Biofreeze roller or a big Salonpas patch but, even after last night's Salonpas, I woke up an hour later with knee still complaining so got up for a reluctant reach to the PK's when, voila!, I realized some idiot had put the Salonpas on the wrong knee so switched it back and continued through the rest of the night until gradualing coming around again at 6:00 am and, yike! realizing it would be dawning in about an hour and I'd miss my chance to enjoy the dawning on the cherry trees at the UW again for the first early morning time in about ten years, jumped into action and got on the direct bus line to the UW in time for the red brick pathway lantern lights barely visible anyway through the full blooming cherry blossoms and, as it got lighter, got to see the Army ROTC cadets I used to do here too 60 years ago finishing up a four mile run and doing calesthentics under the trees on the lawn but, nowadays, like the Barkley winners, it's not just men anymore. 

With the weather.still cloudy but so calm it's being called "stagnant" by the meteorologists, plenty of time to do the same tomorrow at our sister city park down in Chinatown. Honestly, these two weeks of hanami cherry blossom viewing make it hard not to like Seattle, after all.  

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Marathon Maniac #957

voila!, I realized some idiot had put the Salonpas on the wrong knee 

Makes me think of the surgeons who use a marker to mark up the limb they will be working on so they don't start on the wrong one.

The 2nd company that came out Friday,  The Hub said the 2 guys looked like they were straight out of San Quentin.  They must've looked bad for him to say that.  He said as soon as he showed them into the backyard, he went back inside and locked the doors and was happy he was the one there to meet them and not me.  No matter what their estimate is, we won't be using them.

One more company will be coming today or tomorrow.

Sounds like typical roofers. They are the bottom of the totem pole among the construction biz.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

PRD

There's no doubt Laz is kicking himself for making this year's route too easy. I think you can safely bet there will be no finishers next year.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

anneb

This same thing happened to me yesterday, late afternoon. The location was Bardstown, KY. I didn't click the link in the email, but instead independently signed on to LinkedIn and added MFA too. I'm not really active on LinkedIn, so I thought it was odd...

Apparently, someone tried to sign into my LinkedIn account in the middle of the night.  I got a legit email from LinkedIn.  Not a platform I would think someone would want to hack, but whatever.  I changed my password.

I was awake from 1:15a until past 2:30a, and then again at 5:15a. Finally dragged myself out of bed about an hour after that. It's been a long day.

I did a 30 minute ride on the bike in the AM, and then a 2-mile walk at lunch to get some steps in (it's raining).

Anne

anneb

I experienced that this summer! That purple marker was not easy to get off.

Makes me think of the surgeons who use a marker to mark up the limb they will be working on so they don't start on the wrong one.

Anne

I look my best blurry!

Hey there.   It's been awhile but here I am, still running and back where I started on RunniingAhead.  I'm still a wannabe!  What's new?  Boston for me in 3 weeks.  I'll never be what I used to be but at least this year I'm still running.  Fingers crossed that a torn tendon doesn't stop me.

Mine was also Bardstown, KY!  I think the link is legit, and it was only good for 15 minutes.  Very strange.

This same thing happened to me yesterday, late afternoon. The location was Bardstown, KY. I didn't click the link in the email, but instead independently signed on to LinkedIn and added MFA too. I'm not really active on LinkedIn, so I thought it was odd...

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth