Masters Running

Wednesday 4/3/2024 (Read 38 times)

Sorry to hear about the parent issues, Anne and Erika.

Jlynne, nice equipment and ride!

Dave, I am making a note that Clifton 9s should be my next shoe.

There is a newish trailhead for my local 'mountain'. It's only a 10 minute drive away. The trail starts at the base of the mountain. So I hiked up it, around the high point a little and back down.

5.2 miles roundtrip, 1407 feet total ascent.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

wildchild

Carolyn

Hey, good to see Jeanne and Doug popping in today!

Anne and Erika, good luck with the parent issues.  It seems a lot of us are in that caregiver role now.  One thing I'm grateful for is that my Dad  was mentally sharp till the very end, and he still had his sense of humor.

Enke, that sounds great to have a new trailhead close by!  And that's a good climb!

I ran 6 miles around the neighborhood on a nice afternoon, sunny and 40s.  Kind of muddy with all the melting snow, but a pretty day.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

• dave - me too. 

ps - I don't know and I'm sure neither Steve or I would do it but, since right and left feet, and right and left shoes too, are probably at least a little bit different plus yours being the same color so no one would notice, maybe try different ones in different right/left combintations to see if that helps.

Great picture Wild. I love the snow.

And yes, SteveP, I was watching the Snowman cam yesterday wishing I was up in Gaylord when the snow was really coming down hard. 

erika - not anything your fault as not much anyone can do except them at this stage. Your being there is all you can do. Your parents, and you, are so lucky to be in the same town. Very disheartening for me as my sis slips into a wheelchair back in the Midwest and has more physical/occupational thereapies than I ever knew even existed.Good luck.

Part of that is our fault because we've stepped up so much to help.

ps - do you still have the same car and plates?

None of everybody elses' gamet of "storms, "storms", "tornado", "thunderstorm" "snow-showering," "wet," "chill," "rain shower," "windchill", "wind-whipping icy snowflakes" "cold bleh," "rain, snow and wind," "huge storm system," "10 inches of snow," "wet, heavy. . . slush," "gust over 50 mph," etc. but enough of a rain last night splattering and splotching on the windows to bring down almost any remnant blossoms of the unbelievably extended three-and-a-half week cherry blossom viewing season that started befre St. Patrick's Day and, sure enough, after still full blooming on April 1, when I snuck out to the 49 Yoshinos at the UW Quads this morning, were more gone than had already fallen fron the 50 down at the sister city park in the Chinatown ID that I visited yesterday where I'll check out tomorrow for a 2024 sayonara and go back to another year of not having to get up early to check them out before the day's business and domestics take over, that is, until it gets warm enough in June for morning jaunts down the the lakeside for a quick dip while the sun rises on me from the other side of the lake.  That is, if we have any sun this summer. 

After this morning's Quad finale, the sr. housing sent a yearly bedbug sniffing dog through everyone's apartments to make sure to quell any infestation that apparently plagued the facility about ten or fifteen years ago when someone came back from New York with them and, pretty soon, they were all over the building from those with them tracking them into the elevator and the sanitaries tracking them back into their rooms etc. I guess the trained dogs are most any breed but the one that roamed around our apartment was a Laborador retriever.  Apparently, he sits down when locating the noxious little buggers until his handler thanks him and orders, "continue" but, fortunately, Mr. Labrador just went on his way in ours without bothering to sit down but then, I haven't been to New York City since 1983 half way through our circumnavigation of the contiguous Lower 48 when it happened to coincide with the epic NYC Marathon battle between Rod Dixon and Geoff Smith our nearby hotel allowed us to see as they entered Central Park where the former overtook the latter.  However, I often wonder about the heavy-set guy puffing on a cigarette who follows them into the park by about three hours. 

ps JeanneDoug - glad you're able to be checking back in. Thanks.

Trade you the Kraken for the Red Wings.

Incidentally, we've eased up a bit on posting while you were out and, if you don't have a good run to report, don't worry, bad weather is okay too. Not sure about twocat on that, though, so it might change.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

Well, if Jeanne and Doug can check in, I certainly can.  Where’s Twocat?

I’m still nursing my right calf, but I was able to get in my strength run on Monday and my tempo run, today.  Now, it’s just 4 days of easy runs before I hit it hard again.  

After months of chemo and radiation treatments, my nephew had surgery, today, to remove the remaining tumors from his liver and colon.  The liver surgeon said he was able to remove the one in the liver but we haven’t heard from the colon Dr… I’m a little nervous about that.  

Okay—that’s all I got.  See ya!

evanflein

ps - do you still have the same car and plates?

Same car? As my new Subaru? Yes, that's her red butt in my avatar picture, with my current plates. My Saab 9-5 died in 2012, shortly before Holly came up to run the Equinox that year.

Woohoo! A Jlynne sighting! and a Doug sighting! I realize we're all getting busy with other life things and issues, and some of us aren't running anymore, either much or at all, so it's hard to get in here sometimes. But it is fun to "see" our old friends pop in now and then. I'm certainly not a regular poster anymore, but I do try to at least skim the daily on a daily basis.

Mike, might be a good time to back off a little bit, before your calf makes you back off a lot.

Mariposai

Such a cool sighting of Jlynne today.

Hugs to all of our RA family who are dealing with health issues of their own or with their parents.

Spring is here in my neck of the woods. The tulips are other shrubs are blooming, which gives my heart so much joy.

I ran 3 miles today, plus some walk added to a 5 active miles.

Every day  is such a precious gift!

Posie

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

SteveP

Dave59 and others - Sorry to hear about storm damage.

When I got back, I took off my shoes and I saw I had actually worn my new Hoka Clifton 9s. I joked before that they were magic but now I am starting to wonder if it is a joke or if it is magic. 

Anneb - Your poor parents.

(((((Erika)))))

Jay - I'm glad the damage to the cottage was not worse.

JLynne!!!!!

And our ever-loving Rochrunner!!!!

Enke Round Trip sounds like a wonderful hiker's handle.

MikeE - That cancer stuff....Ugh.

I'm glad I skipped the mill Wednesday AM.   The fella who replaced me at work called off.  He and his DW are expecting a baby in June.  He said they were in the ER and my heart sank.  Several hours later, he said that DW had the flu and kidney stones.  Poor Mom, but what a relief.  It was a manhandle day.

A skilled driver makes an incredible difference during an unload.  We had a very nice fella who had a hard time with the concept of backing into our loading dock.  There is no way I'm going to lift 200 lb cabinets down 4ft from the back of a trailer.  It took a bit as there was a bit of an language barrier.  He asked about getting to Northport, MI.  He kept referring to Lake Michigan as "the ocean".  Verifying the contents of the load took a while was well.  He could not read the tags on the products.

I was moving stuff that weighed nearly as much as I do.  It's still fun, but it takes a little longer.  I've been hitting the at home PT pretty hard.  I'm sure that helps.  I called it after 10 hours because I did want to overdo it.  I'm not sure what that's about.

SteveP