Masters Running

Monday, 4.15.24 (Read 39 times)

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Dave - thank you thank you for the Heartbreak Hill link. Though I've never run the Boston Marathon, I could see myself a thousand times over with the thousands of runners reduced to walking up it. However, with everyone having to qualify nowadays, I never imagined even the slowest BoP'ers being reduced to walking with nary a runner in sight.  Unlike ultras where walking is not only the norm and but also a necessity, with my main goal in marathons over the years being never to walk up any hill, especially the latter mile ones as in Seattle,  Portland,  Yakima  etc., I'm sorry i missed out on Boston when I could've. Thanks!

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

coastwalker

Hi again Masters.

Bioguy, congrats on starting the resignation process. I hope you’ve got good and fun plans for your future, and that you are inspired anew.

This morning in Hopkinton was great, even if very tiring. I got to see the men’s and woman’s wheelchair starts, as well as the hand-crank starts. I heard the elite men and women’s starts, but I was working by then, and so couldn’t get up to the start line to watch them. Tet, Wave 1, Corral 1 was where the fastest of the qualifiers lined up for the start, but the elites had their own, separate start before all the rest of the runners started. Loading the corrals is organized chaos, with the biggest challenge being to check for the right bib color per wave, plus the right corral number in the lower left corner of each bib as the runners came streaming through the gate. Fortunately, there weren’t all that many that we had to send back to a different corral or to wait for another wave. One of the things that amazed me was how many people showed up late for their wave, meaning after their gun went off. Why would you not be on time for your start at a little race like Boston?

I had arrived in Hopkinton at 6:15, and I left at 11:45. It was 41° when I got there, and it had climbed to a sunny 68° by the time I left - good for us, but not so much for the racers this early in the season. I saw a buddy (and fellow racewalker) who was part of the communications team, and two friends (one of whom turned 76 today) who were running this year. I was on my feet and moving the entire time, and covered over 5.5 miles. By the time I got home, I was exhausted. But, of course, I had time for a quick lunch before jumping on a conference call. So it goes…

I hope you had a greta Monday, and I hope Deeze had a greta time at mile 22.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Evenin', Friends - Didn't check in all weekend, but I see the gangs all here.

Bio - It's unfortunate that so many of your students don't seem to care.  I'm guessing it could also be a statement of their home life, unfortunately.  But happy retirement planning!

This is the first year in a long time that I didn't watch any of Boston.

My PT exercises are going well - well, were going well until this evening.  I had a total and complete brain fart and was well into 2 exercises when I realized they were far beyond what I should be doing at this point and my butt is already telling me I how stupid I was. I have no freaking idea what I was thinking. Oh well - 4 steps forward, 2 steps back.   I predict tomorrow will be a mostly standing day. 

Leslie
        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

SteveP

It's hard to imagine all the excitement around Boston.

Bioguy - Good luck with HR.  Kudos on the turtle release.

Poor Robert Earl.

Tom White - Very sweet 60 at the fields.

I got 3.3 on the mill followed by the homegrown PT.  The coach has added breathing exercises to the mix.  I told the coach that I'd give it a try.  Though I've been breathing for at least a few years, there may be a thing or two to learn.

SteveP

fatozzig///...........when in Doubt, always listen to your butt

hang in there with your rehab

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....