Masters Running

Monday 1/1/24 HAPPY NEW YEAR Runs and Workouts (Read 43 times)

bioguy

Mrs Bio and I hiked 3.1 miles with the dog this morning, then I graded some reports kids wrote just before break. Got out for 3.25 miles in some light drizzle, but it is still 45 degrees, so it was pretty pleasant.

wildchild

Carolyn

Happy New Year!

I also didn't stay up till midnight - went to bed with a book at 8:30, and turned off the lights a little before 10.

I had a fun start to the running year - a 10 mile trail run with 5 friends, over in Evergreen.  We ran/hiked up to the top of Bergen Peak (9700 ft) and back.  Probably 2500 ft of climbing! I wore screw shoes and everyone else was in spikes.  Chilly at the start, but low 40s by the end, so quite a pleasant way to start the year.  Here's a picture:   I'm the 2nd one behind Christa.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

tetsijun209 my DW and I also made it to midnight!

Other than watching the ball drop in Times Square on my friend's TV, my other big accomplishment was waking up this morning without a hangover. One cocktail I make is a Slow 75 https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/sloe-75-3205013. It is a Guy Fieri invention. I replace the slow plum gin (a.k.a. slow gin) with beach plum gin. Unless you live in the NYC area you may need to order beach plum gin on line. It comes from a small Brooklyn distillery called Greenhook. It is really good. A little sweeter than slow plum gin. Our little group polished off my bottle of gin. I helped out with two cocktails and then a midnight glass of champaign. One of the group that serendipitously ran into this morning, said she thinks we all avoided hangovers by drinking a lot of water between cocktails and then the champaign. Whatever, I had a great time and no hangover. A win-win!

This morning it was just an hour on the elliptical. Then DW and I took an afternoon walk at the local state park. That is where we ran into some of the ladies from the group we spent midnight with last night.

Happy New Year all!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Marathon Maniac #957

Hey folks.

We had a wonderful evening yesterday and may have stumbled onto a new tradition. We screencasted all our photos from the year chronologically on our TV, reviewing the many (many, many!) pics we took on our trips from Utah to Nova Scotia as well as the more ordinary stuff from local hikes and camping trips, and pics of family and friends. It was a great way to reflect on our year and remind us of all we have to be grateful for. 

I love this!

the fog had lifted enough for a clear view of the fireworks reaching up towards Venus in the overhead sky at top of the Space Needle we can see from the front window.

This is so cool!

Sub7 - Caymus always delivers, doesn't it?  We went to a wine tasting a few years ago that had wines up to $200/bottle for tasting.  I really don't have a good wine palette, and most of the expensive wines were lost on me, but Caymus was the one wine there that I took a tiny sip of and found it really exploded with flavor and made me think, "Wow, this is what they mean!"

KSA - That's pretty cold for your area, isn't it?

Dnaff - it is perfectly fine to go to bed early - I do it all the time.  Gross about the cat diarrhea. Isn't there something you can spray around the foundation that will deter the cats?

Henry - Seems like everyone I know who has gotten a cold lately has had a bad one. Hope it clears up soon!

Marj and Carolyn - great pics!

I got 3.1 miles in today in 34 degrees with a bit of a wind.

Happy New Year!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Happy New Year Masters!!  We were in bed by 10p, but kept the tv on while reading. The Puerto Rico celebration was aa 11p our time so I decided that was good enough for me - kissed dh HNY, rolled over and was fast asleep!!

10k at Lowell's 1st run for me then lunch with the SS crew. Great way to start the year.

Tet - we record birth time in real time on the computer. Somehow 3 babies were born at exactly midnight at our hospital and one of our rivals Beth Israel - sounds fishy and I want to hear more!!

denise

evanflein

Happy New Years! We went to the fireworks show up on campus at 8 p.m. with Riley and his parents. It was fun, and not too cold but after a half hour of standing around in just barely above zero temps, I was ready to get back to the truck. Riley liked it but found a little girl standing next to us and they played in the snow for most of it. Then home and just lounged around here a bit, finished some leftovers (lasagna!) and opened a bottle of prosecco around 11. We both kind of dozed off a bit and I woke up right at midnight. We refilled our glasses and ran out on the deck for a bit, with lots of neighborhood fireworks going off all around us. Then came in and went to bed.

Had Riley and his folks over for breakfast this morning. First time we've seen them (other than last night) in days cuz they've all had gross snotty colds. So Riley got more Christmas presents! That was fun, but by the time they left we were both exhausted.

Great pics today! Marj, is it really cold enough to keep those ice carvings solid? And Carolyn, love how you meet up with so many friends to get your mountainous miles in!

I'll probably do some PT exercises and read a bit. It's already 2 p.m. and we're just having a quiet afternoon here now that the whirlwind that is Riley has gone home.

Tramps- that really is a cool idea with the pictures!

Holly- last Christmas we were close to zero degrees and THAT is unusual.  30s is not unusual, but we don’t like it!

WildChild- nice way to start the year!

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

mrrun

Great pics today! Marj, is it really cold enough to keep those ice carvings solid? And Carolyn, love how you meet up with so many friends to get your mountainous miles in!

They take down the sculptures on Jan 2, for security reasons.  Some years it's not warm enough & they melt but they do fine in the low 30's that we have today.

We're enjoying 'Race to Alaska' which I think Roch mentioned - thx

I love those ice sculptures.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody and happy New Year!

We are home after spending the last three days in Green Bay.  We had a good time with three of our kids, four of our granddaughters, and five others... including my ex-wife...

Debbie and I were introduced to Shrinking on Apple TV.  We watched four episodes and can't wait to watch episode 5.

My training plan started, today, for my marathon in May.  The plan called for 0 miles and that is what I did,

Okay--that's all I got.  See ya!

SteveP

Holly - Thank you for the start.

Jay - What a recap!  Here's to new foundations!

Tramps - Thank you for the article.  I've never heard of the "Graveyard of the Great Lakes".  I've always known that section of the Great Lakes as "Shipwreck Alley".  Love the new tradition.

Tetsujin209 - Nice view of the needle and fireworks.

Mrrun - Nice ice picture.  Wow

Henrun - Kick the virus to the curb!

Rochrunner - That Hedy Lamar had a roller coaster ride of a life.

Love the Wildchild picture!

MikeE - Way to hit the goal!

We finally had the Christmas calibrations with our kids.

The female spouses had quite the gag on us guys.

GS#1 (15 yrs 11 months) is wearing a shirt which says "Fools" with hands which have fingers pointing to the left and right.

I finally copied MikeE's workout.  I've got the set a goal of some sort.  In 2024, I have not found something to look forward to and I don't want to get into a funk.

SteveP

EXCELLENT Steve Pics...................Love It

========

speaking of

''Give Us A Sign'' Moments-

was planning to PoolRun Wed to see if that loosened up Tight Lats

called 'em

and

Water pipe to Pool broke Friday,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and probably won't get fixed til Spring

so

I'm Going With-

Probably Saved myself from Drowning

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

In 2024, I have not found something to look forward to . . . 

Steve - not to worry, I and maybe Jay and, lesser extent, erika probably have plenty of hopes (and continuing pains) for the new year we’d probably be glad to let you have for a while.  However, I sure didn't notice any pain while being distracted for the eight hours of playoffs yesterday from 2:00 pm to the 10:00 pm finale.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)