Masters Running

Thursdaily, 1.15.24 (Read 37 times)

SteveP I wish checking things like sample size would really tell you if some result is "true". Alas, there are so many ways to data mine, that sample size is but a small impediment to finding false positives. You really need several confirming studies, by independent researchers.

coastwalker how did you get 25° weather north of me?  I went out this morning at it was a balmy 20°. Not fair!!! 

tetsujin209 you want to see some snow and ice lying around? Feel free to book a flight to CT.

TammyinGP my DW every now and then asks for jewelry for one occasion or another. But then she never wears it!  When do you end up wearing bling? She keeps telling me the problem is we do not do anything that requires it.

Dave59 good luck with the elbow. I hope it is just sore.

fatozzig I heard about a group of rowers doing that race on another podcast called the Adventure Sports podcast. There is a apparently a whole website that you can track the progress of the rowing teams during the race. I did that one year. Very cool.

deez4boyz chocolates and a card count as a something? Your DH gets off easy.

BTY man you two are sure a cheap date! A breakfast at a diner for Valentine's Day! Sound great, but my DW would never go for that.

wildchild okay, okay, I am totally jealous! Stop, please stop! I cannot stand hearing about all the good weather and interesting critters that are around! 

enkephalin I wish there was a good solution to your situation.

I ran 4 miles this morning. Another freezing cold day in CT. This time though I was not underdressed. Fool me once . . . I am pretty sure at this point that CT is in a permanent state of winter. It has been so cold it will take two summers to warm the area back up.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

evanflein

Suck it up, Twocat. I can send you some real winter, if you'd like.

I don't ever wear jewelry anymore it seems. I used to never leave the house without at least earrings. Found myself missing them the other day, sitting at a red light trying to get something out of my teeth. Those wire earrings are perfect toothpicks. 

Last time I saw a bald eagle around here was when DH and I took our boat out to the Tanana River last summer, and there was a big one on some dead trees hung up on a gravel bar. We were headed there to hang out for a bit, and this big bald eagle stared at us, then took off. I got pictures, but pretty blurry and not the whole eagle in the frame. Oh, and sometimes we see them circling high with ravens chasing or pursuing them, trying to get them to leave their nests alone. I guess baby ravens make good eagle snacks.

Jay, you might be right, but I think it was more likely a) overdoing a walk after being cooped up in the house by cold temps (see reference to "real winter" above) and b) the gradual degradation of that hip's joint. Although I did take a Naproxen Tuesday morning and evening, and yesterday was much better, as is today. So I'm hoping it was just overdoing it on my hilly walk.

Dave! Good grief, be careful! And yes, I think we need a Dave59 addendum dealing with stairs.

Leslie, best wishes to Shorty. Is he using anything like gum or patches to help with the nicotine withdrawal? He's right that it can be awful (so I've heard).

Enke, that's so frustrating! Any chance you can raise your hand again after she's done and say "As I was saying..." or "I'd like to continue if I may..." but there's no guarantee it'll work. Maybe KSA is onto something with the revenge approach.

You guys with your sunny, tropical, beachy vacations! Makes me want to go back to Kauai. Nice that you can get away and find some sunshine and warmth. Love Wildchild's description of the critters she sees.

I've been building up the walks with the temperatures being so mild lately. Yesterday was low 40's! Today was a bit cooler with a breeze, but still nice. My sister is finally feeling better so she did parent-duty today and I stayed home. Got in 18.3 miles on the bike, and then a 2.6 mile hilly walk outside. Every now and then I try a few jogging steps and everything feels fine. I will say that after 2 years of increasing pain and decreasing range of motion, I am loving my new hip!!

Mine wasn’t really tropical or warm, but I did have the beautiful ocean and beach (and canopied trails.Our September trips to Amelia are much more likely to be more Florida-ish.   We just like being there and the vibe of the place.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

TammyinGP

TammyinGP my DW every now and then asks for jewelry for one occasion or another. But then she never wears it!  When do you end up wearing bling? She keeps telling me the problem is we do not do anything that requires it.

since I'm still working, I wear some sort of jewelry every day to coordinate with whatever work outfit I'm wearing.

Hopefully some day I'll have a daughter-in-law to pass it down to since I don't have a daughter.

Tammy

I love jewelry, have a lot and wear a lot.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

TammyinGP

I love jewelry, have a lot and wear a lot.

same. I even wear something basic like a silver chain or some sort of stone pendant on a chain when I run. pretty much always have some form of jewelry on.

Tammy

BTY

Good evening Masters!

I was fortunate to pick up Magdalena at childcare after work this afternoon and hang out with her for just over an hour.  This was the first time that I've spent an hour with her without either DD or DW nearby.  It was great to have her fall asleep in my arms as I warmed up her milk.

I went to the Y and switched all of my "push" workout movements to a 10-2 or 10-4 cadence.  The intensity was actually a little lower than when I last worked out since I had to lower the weights in order to do the slower cadence and still get more than 4 reps.  I picked the weights well and was able to get 6 restrictions on everything.

The swim workout was a hard one.  I did the warmup/pre-set repetitions at a faster pace with a shorter rest between each rep.  It was supposed to be 1600 yards, prepping for another 900 yards of more intense drills, but I found that I had to eliminate 2 of the 100 yard backstroke kicks.

Main sets were

- 2 (3 x 50 yard free style) Swimming 37 seconds, resting 43 seconds.  Flip turns are getting better.

- 12 x 25 yard underwater dolphin kicks on 45 seconds.  I don't know if those are getting better or not, but it's a good core workout.

- 2 x 100 IM (Individual Medley) 1:25 swim / 1:35 rest / 1:27 swim.

So I finished with 2,300 yards, just about 1.3 miles.

SteveP

My PT wondered if there is a device I can use to measure the stride length on each foot to make sure that they are the same and that my body is in good balance. I'll have to look into that.

OK - gotta go.

Have a greta Thursday.

Jay

That would be handy.

Enke, that's so frustrating! Any chance you can raise your hand again after she's done and say "As I was saying..." or "I'd like to continue if I may..." but there's no guarantee it'll work. Maybe KSA is onto something with the revenge approach.

Enkephalin - That work meeting stinks.  There seems to be an impression that the loudest, most ignorant person has the best input.  A reply like, "That's cute but you weren't listening."

TwoCat - For me, sample size, length of study and a nod to similar studies help me determine if an article is worth the read.  Too often, it turns out to be fluff.  Of course, there is a Yazoo to consider.  However, I'm not going to overanalyze prior to deciding whether I should read an article or not.  there's always time for that as I go through what has been presented.

I got 2 miles on the mill and an hour of the combined PTs.  I started doing more of the PT homework with resistance bands.

SteveP