Masters Running

Training week ending November 18-19, 2023 (Read 12 times)

Alexander R

Greetings, runners! Please tell us about your past training week and upcoming goals.

Alexander R

Mon 4mi (0:39) treadmill
      Tue-Sat 0
      Sun 26.5mi (3:35) Philadelphia marathon

Total: 30.5 miles

I was tapering all week for Philadelphia, the weather on the race day was perfect (37 degrees at the start, then 40s later, sunshine and no wind). I split 1:43/1:52, slowing down as always in the last miles. Missed both my A goal of going under 3:30 and my B goal of sub-3:35, but I got pretty close.

Quickadder

First week of the Semi-Finals and struggling to keep up the miles on the treadmill. Playing against Tammy - my co-captain from the phenomenal Modi-5 Button team that won 2018 so convincingly.

Monday - 2.5 miles (9:42 pace)

Tuesday - 4.2 miles (9:41)

Wednesday - 5.5 miles (9:42)

Thursday - 3.3 miles (9:42)

Friday - 5.5 miles (9:41)

Saturday - 5.5 miles (9:42)

Sunday - 5.5 miles (9:51)

Total 32 miles - 160% of target

Quickadder, another solid week! Regarding the 10K, I think in general after 50 it's good to be able to run your age in minutes. So at 60 1hr is good and at 70 1hr10min should be good. Breaking 1hr at 69 is extremely strong.

This really isn't borne out by the AG tables. Using the MLDR Road age-grading calculator (2020 version) for a male running a 10K in same minutes as age, it isn't until age 88 that it goes above 60%. I've seen 60% AG described as a local club runner able to podium in smaller local races.

Age 50 - 50 minutes - AG 59.4

Age 60 - 60 minutes - AG 54.1

Age 70 - 70 minutes - AG 51.1

Age 80 - 80 minutes - AG 52.4

Age 90 - 90 minutes - AG 64.5

When I set my 10K PR on my 63rd birthday, that registered about 62.5%AG. At that level the tables say I should be able to run 10K in under 60 minutes until I'm about 74.

Started running at age 60.

AG 60-64 PR - 5K 25:45, 10K 53:28, HM 1:57:39, Marathon 4:32:09

AG 65-69 PR - 5K 26:11, HM 2:02:39, Marathon 5:04:47

Upcoming race: Four on the 4th 7/4/24 maybe.

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

Alexander - You ran Philly just two weeks after NYC?  Wow.  Wish we'd had your Philly weather for NY.  Sorry you didn't quite get your B goal, but oh, so close.  How do you rate the two courses in terms of difficulty?  I ran Philly years ago and the main benefit I found for that race is there's a lot less to do to get to the start line; a lot less waiting around.  To your questions "Are you thinking of some future races, more half marathons, more marathons, what is your general outlook? Some specific distance or event that interests you?"  In the short term, I'm looking forward to shorter races; 5k, 5M, 10k, on roads and trails (there's a winter trail series of 5k and 10k races I like).  Mid-term, I hope to get back to half marathons, which are perhaps my favorite distance; if all goes well, I'll run my 50th half in 2025.

Quickadder - I guess one advantage of the treadmill is you can generate very consistent times.  Or is that a downside?

My recovery continues.  The ParkRun I did 10 days ago was not a full-out 5k.  Until yesterday, any run of an hour or more was hard for me, even though shorter, faster runs went fine.

Tue - 3.5 easy

Thu - 6.3 repeats  (My RP wanted to do track work.  I knew it was too soon for me, but we ran the recoveries together.)

Fri - 6.0 easy

Sat - 5.0 easy

Sun - 3.1 moderate (running with my 17-year-old)

23.9 miles for the week.

5k 23:48.45 (3/22); 4M 31:26 (2/22); 5M 38:55 (11/23); 10k 49:24 (10/22); 
          10M 1:29:33 (2/24); Half 1:48:32 (10/22); Marathon 4:29:58 (11/23)

Upcoming races: Scotch Plains 5k, 6/12; Firecracker 4-miler, 7/4

TammyinGP

Alexander - two almost back to back marathons is very impressive! I'm sorry you didn't attain the goals you set, but what an accomplishment anyways!

Quick: well done on your TM miles and hitting 150% of goal. The team totals during the quarterfinals was mindblowing!  Teams were consistently in the 140-150% range. This will be a challenging semi's and finals for sure.  I still think our 169% from the modi-5's is the highest ever but if that's going to be broken, it'll likely be this season.  Are you doing any outdoor running at all or are you 100% TM?

Fred: enjoy the recovery period and lower miles!  Since our team won in the first two weeks of the quarters and we could take the 3rd week off, I enjoyed not feeling like I "had" to run a certain amount. It was a nice break. 

Last week:

Tues: 3.1 miles (TM)
            Wed: 7.5 miles

Fri: 7.3 miles

Sun: 13.2 miles

TOTAL: 31.1

This week will likely be about the same for me. I'm not running a turkey trot this year since I'm hosting the day and making all the food, so I'll just run some miles from home that morning. Maybe 5.7 since I turn 57 that day also.  Our son (23 yrs old) is coming home that morning for the weekend. He lives about 4 hrs north of us. He hasn't been home since Easter weekend, so I'm really anxious to see him and spend some time together!

Tammy

Quickadder

Quick: well done on your TM miles and hitting 150% of goal. The team totals during the quarterfinals was mindblowing!  Teams were consistently in the 140-150% range. This will be a challenging semi's and finals for sure.  I still think our 169% from the modi-5's is the highest ever but if that's going to be broken, it'll likely be this season. 

Tammy, this has been subject of discussion in the 2023 game forum and I think the easiest is to copy a couple of my posts from there.

"MotherFooters had 179.96% in the first week of the 2022 Final.

Having been on both teams, I would say that the 169.32% by Modi-5 Button in the 2018 Final was the more impressive as there were 17 active team players that week (738.87 miles run against a 436.38 mile target) whereas MotherFooters only had 6 runners active (252.98 run against 140.58 target)."

"Looking back through the 'Other Editions', I could not find any other instances of 300+ combined total other than

2020 Road to Nowhere 157.17, Oh my Quads 152.17. Total of 309.34

2022 MotherFooters 179.96, Got Run, eh? 135.68. Total of 315.64

I have a feeling that 2023 may see some more."

Started running at age 60.

AG 60-64 PR - 5K 25:45, 10K 53:28, HM 1:57:39, Marathon 4:32:09

AG 65-69 PR - 5K 26:11, HM 2:02:39, Marathon 5:04:47

Upcoming race: Four on the 4th 7/4/24 maybe.

pfriese

I'm taking a couple of very easy weeks since my team is now out of the game. Here's all I had.

M - rest

T - 6.1 miles (10:08/mile)

W - rest

Th - rest

F - rest

Sa - 8 miles (9:47/mile)

Su - rest

Total - 14.1 miles

Another easy week with Thanksgiving holiday, too. Marathon training starts up in December, higher mileage will start then.

Paul

Alexander R

Quickadder, 160% of the target is quite something! No wonder your team is in the semi-finals. Very interesting table! I did not realize that while 50 at 50 almost hits 60%, which is quite good,  it then goes down to 51% for 70 at 70. So to stay at above 60% level one must be quite a bit better than running their age in minutes for 10K, I did not know that. I was just incorrectly assuming that 51 at 51 is automatically better than 50 at 50 and so on.

Fred,  yes, I did the same thing last year too, and some other years. I registered for Philly after New York, hoping to "redeem" myself. I love the Philadelphia marathon, but I wouldn't run it if I was happy with New York. I think Philly is a fair course, with several climbs and many mild ups and downs, it also has some sharp turns and so on, it is not particularly easy. Chicago for example is way, way easier than Philly. But compared to NY Philly gives you a much better chance to finish strong. Everything after mile 20 is basically flat and maybe even slight downhill. Regarding your racing plans, yes, when you fully recover it makes a lot of sense to try some shorter races, to get some benefits of "supercompensation".

Tammy, thank you and another great week, 31 miles with a half marathon long run, I guess the semi-finals are very motivating! Having to miss the Turkey trot to focus on the food for the guests is a huge sacrifice, only a runner would understand. And happy belated birthday!!

Paul, I hear you! My team is out too and immediately my mileage dropped dramatically. The game is so incredibly motivating, but I only really appreciate it when it's over