Masters Running

1/9 Is Awful Fine for a Tuesday. (Read 38 times)

Happy Tuesday friends!!

Worked another 16 hour shift yesterday so slept in this morning then met friends at a Planet Fitness - ran 4.2miles on the treadmill, 30 min glutes/legs class using my Peloton app and some stretching.

Tet - I'm not sure how many are in our Wicked Smaht Zone group but there were about 30 of us at the breakfast. The tip came from people all over the Peloton community so was pretty cool!! I bet we top $10k next year!!

The Surprise Mega Tip has been getting some local media coverage - pretty cool to see it and be part of that group.

Tammy - glad to hear your dh checked out ok

Leslie - hope you had a great massage!! Maybe you want to share that chocolate melatonin stuff with us??? 

Twocat - glad your friend is ok, but hope he can find a way to start making some changes even small ones for now might help him

Hope this rain storm coming in isn't as bad as expected. Dh is pretty concerned tho and did a lot of clearing of catch basins, gutters and making paths away from the house. With the 13-15 inches of snow we had over the weekend, warm temps and heavy rains tonight into tomorrow doesn't make for a good combination.

Stay safe friends!!

denise

Marathon Maniac #957

Someone on TV was recently explaining that one reason that there is so much money in sports broadcasting and there are so many ads in the big events is that live sports are pretty much the only thing that people now watch live in real-time and have to see the ads. Everything else is either streamed or on DVR and most people (like us!) skip over the ads.

Unless you get the 99 cents/month Hulu subscription - then you have to watch commercials, no way to skip.  And Prime is now going to have limited commercials unless you pay an additional $2.99/month to avoid them, which I signed up to do.  Since we pay for Prime annually, which is cheaper than monthly, even with the extra $2.99 it is still cheaper than Netflix.  And there is the free shipping, so we order way too much from Amazon.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

bioguy

I had a very good night's sleep last night which turned into an excellent day at school. Monday was awful; I had a terrible night's sleep Sunday night and felt anxious, almost a weight dragging around all day Monday. Today for some reason was 180 degrees different.

Both of my graduate classes started this week. I am taking a microbiology class and a genetics class as well. I am hopeful that I can do a bit more adjunct work part-time in a year or two as a semi retirement gig, If I teach full time one more year I can also get a fair amount of tuition reimbursement and sock away a bit more for my golden years. In any event, my son who is a CFP, is coming over next Monday to do a financial review with us.

We were dismissed 90 minutes early today due to the wind and rain; yeah, I know, kids these days. No more walking uphill in the snow barefoot. I went to the Y and ran 2 miles on the indoor track so I could avoid a treadmill run, then lifted weights.

wildchild

Carolyn

Howdy, masters! Sounds like everyone's having a busy Tuesday!

We had high winds overnight, which blew the previous day's snow all over the place, so I went out about noon, when the wind died down a bit, and plowed our driveway and road.  Some sections were completely dry dirt, and others had foot-deep drifts, so plowing took only half as long as usual.

Then I ran to my mailbox and back, 4 miles round trip.  A lot of the snow on the roads is the consistency of sand, so it was slow going.  I'm heading back to CA on Thursday to help DH drive the van home, and I'm looking forward to some warmer weather!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Carolyn, enjoy that warmer weather!

Yesterday MBE and I went to a pub in the next town over and watched the UW/UM game with another couple. We got there 30 minutes before kick-off and snagged the last table. It was packed.

Boohoo, the Huskies lost. I think they played horribly, and not just Penix Jr. with most of his throws going over the head of the receivers, but the Husky defense too. Just a terrible game for them. We stayed to the bitter end.

At 2 am I woke to the sound of high winds and Douglas fir cones hitting the windows and roof. When I got up in the morning, my internet was out. Which made attending remote work meetings or doing anything work-related problematic. Luckily it was back on by noon.

With the high winds, no way was I even going to go for a walk outside.

Twocat, I hope to try that roasted potato recipe this week.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

No run for me, today … just a weight workout with Zac.  We were about 5 minutes into our workout, when he said, “Shrimp, (yes, he calls me Shrimp) I owe you an apology.  I’m sorry I was so grumpy, yesterday.” Then he explained that the belt he was using to do squats with had dug into the bottom of his ribs and it hurt and, for some reason, he let it bother him for the rest of the night.  I thought it was nice of him to apologize.  We had a better time together, tonight.

Then, Debbie and I met her sister and her sister’s husband for dinner.  We had a good time.

Okay/—that’s all I got.  See ya!

Mike- I’m glad you cleared the air with Zac and it wasn’t anything you did or said.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

BTY

“Shrimp, (yes, he calls me Shrimp) I owe you an apology.  

While thinking about what to be called as a new Grandfather, I don't think Shrimp ever hit my Radar.   Do any of the other grandkids call you that?   Love it!

BTY

Hey BTY: do you have any recommendation on a good pair of goggles? I've been using Speedo Hydro-Spec; are those as good as anything as far as you know?

Doug, I'm pretty ignorant about such things.  On the website that I buy my goggles and jammers, etc., the Speedo Hydro-Spec goggles have a 4.5 out of 5.0 rating, and cost about $15.00.   I buy prescription goggles with a - 4.5 to - 5.0 scrip, Sporti Anti-Fog S2 Optical goggles that have a 5.0 out of 5.0 rating and cost about $11.00.   I'd recommend the Speedo Endurance + Jammers.   They cost about $40 on sale compared to $20 to $30 for the others that appear to be comparable but are not.   The cheaper ones last me about a month, but the Endurance + last for years, literally, before wearing out.   I haven't tried other brands of goggles or too many other types of jammers, because once I found something that worked for me I just stuck with them.

I did a very short strength workout - just bench presses, overhead presses, and hip abduction and adduction, because the cable machines were once again tied up (pun intended) so I couldn't do shoulder rotations.  I've been doing relatively light weights for 1 set of 15 repetitions of each movement, and for the first time today I found a weight with which I failed at fewer than 15 reps, on overhead presses.   It was a precipitous drop from 15 reps with one weight to only 10 reps with just 5 pounds more.  I thought that would mean a tough swim, and it pretty much delivered.

Then I swam 2,450 yards, including 100 yard freestyle drills with paddles, 50 yard freestyle repeats doing flip turns (wearing the nose clips) and 25 yard underwater dolphin kick drills.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

bio - nice retirement planning.

Sounds like another Jay retirement

in the making. Me too. Good luck.

BTY - I really like your DS3 too sacrificing time and more immediate income at this stage of his life for a lifetime of loving going to work every day probably marveling that "I can't believe they pay me to do this" instead of 40 years of grinding away for a more immediate and lucrative income at just any old job right now. Me too.  Good luck.

Twocat - Thanks. However, I'm keeping the UW icon handy in case they somehow manage to do better at their first matchup with the UM in their new membership in the Big 10 over at Husky Stadium this fall after, along with nine other Pacific Coast college teams, including a certain Golden Bears, they junked our beloved Pac 12, . . . but I doubt it.

ps Doug - prescriptions for sure!

They are worth it.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Marathon Maniac #957

I had a very good night's sleep last night which turned into an excellent day at school. Monday was awful; I had a terrible night's sleep Sunday night and felt anxious, almost a weight dragging around all day Monday. Today for some reason was 180 degrees different.

Nice!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Marathon Maniac #957

Mike- I’m glad you cleared the air with Zac and it wasn’t anything you did or said.

+1

SteveP

CR - As I've just begun tinkering with sauces, it seems to be fun.  I can see why your cousin doesn't commercialize.  4 lbs. of peaches produced just over a qt. of sauce.  I backed off on some of the tomato-based ingredients a lot. I rarely measure and never write down a recipe.  The humidity and wind direction affects the time on the smoker as well.  As much as I may like how something turns out, the rest of the world may have different likings.  If people had my point of view, we'd all be listening to Rockabilly.

KSA - I hope it's a lingering bug.  You still got the 4 in though!  I found a site that shows a person how to neuter their male dog at home.  You'll need Jack Daniels and beef gravy.  You'll probably want a good pair of gloves from TSC because you're gonna get bit.

Leslie - I'm glad you've had a good night.

Dnaff - Your meteorologist had words of wisdom.

tetsujin209 you are in Seattle! You are supposed to just use Huskie icons if you are going to use any. Forget who won. Where is your local area loyalty man!

Snork!

TwoCat - Sorry your friend dove into the burgers right away.

Bioguy - Good luck with your retirement planner.

To the mailbox and back is 4 miles!!!!!

I've not met Zac but have a high opinion of the young fella.

I got 1.5 on the mill followed by the online PT with a nice chunk of the in-person PT's stuff added to the mix.  The grandkids showed up early.  I did not get much of a cool down. 

There was just a touch of light when I got home and took the dog out for a bit.

SteveP