Masters Running

Wednesdaily, 1.3.24 (Read 40 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' Masters.

I'm sorry I missed posting yesterday - the day just got away from me.

Good 7.1 heart-rate-monitored path miles, KSA. I'm sure Ken (and you) are glad that he is driving again.

Nice more-or-less 5 miles in almost IRC, Tramps. Shorts in temps in the 30s with wind? No thanks.

Sorry about the ongoing possible ischial bursitis issues, Leslie. Congrats on scoring a video appointment with Dr.Kao. Yours isn't the only part of the country where it is almost impossible to get a near-term appointment with some docs.

I'm sorry about the noisy knee, Enke, but I'm glad that the steep mountain climb felt OK.

Good 17.6 up and down riding miles on the trainer, Doug. Nice to be back in the project groove, eh?

Hi Tet. I've found that if I can stay sleeping on my back at night, my knee pain is minimized. For me, it is the rolling around that eventually brings it on. Then again, I'm not normally a back-sleeper, so staying still on my back is its own challenge.

Nice chilly 6-miler, Twocat. I'm sorry that DW got buzzed a few times - definitely not nice.

Good 30 minutes on the Stairclimber, Tomwhite. And an interesting perspective about hanging/drowning.

Too bad about the frustrating workout, BTY. Good luck with the nose clips and flip turns. It'll be interesting to see the impact on your workout and race times.

Good luck with the 2024 goals, Norm - sounds like a good and reasonable plan.

Nice 4-miler after a sleepless night, sub7.

Good 4 trail miles over Maryland Mtn., Wildchild. Good plan to stick to the more used trail.

Welcome back to getting on the bike, Erika. A swimming coach from when I was in HS said that for every day of training that we lose, it takes two days to get it back. So take your time and you'll be in a little better shape every day.

Loved the photos, Steve!

I got out for two walks yesterday (one predawn, and one in the afternoon after a meeting) totaling 5.1 miles. This morning, I went 5.25 at 4:00 in 27° temps, under some gauzy moonlight. The good news was that I averaged about 15.4 minute miles today. Then 30 minutes of knee work and stretching.

Have a greta Wednesday.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Marathon Maniac #957

Howdy folks.

20 minutes on the stationary bike for me today, followed by about 20 minutes of lower body weights.

Happy Wednesday!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

C-R

Nice recap as always Jay and good walking.

I did the same Holly except the workout part.

20 min ride with a 5 min cool down after. I find the cool downs to be a big help in recovery. Will run with the club this evening.

Question for the crew - I am trying to find a solution for my snoring. I've tried breathe right strips and head support pillows but have been informed they don't work. Of course I do question DW's reports on this because there is no way I have ever snored. . Has anyone tried those inserts or mouth strips, etc. with any success? I do have an appt with the ENT next week (septoplasty in 1992 due to numerous breaks from boxing as a teen and a few soccer balls to the face likely isn't working anymore). TIA.

Cheers.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
        "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Marathon Maniac #957

Norm - you probably have checked on this, but do you have sleep apnea?  My DH got a C-pap 20 years ago and mostly has not snored since.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

C-R

Not yet but that is one of the points I plan to ask the ENT physician.

"Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

,,,speaking of

''Problems We Wished We'd Had in Our 40s''..........

I have weighed 176 for literally 30-years

since I've always been prone to  Late Night Snacking,

I've

stopped doing that

and just chew a couple of Calcium Chocolate Gummys if I'm feeling ''Snacky''

that dropped me to 172 in about a year-

This morning I weighed 169>>>>>>>>>>Not On Purpose

============

I pretty much rely on Dairy for my Protein

due to my Family History

of heart attacks and strokes, basically don't eat meat unless I'm out with other people

so I'm loosing Muscle Mass>>>>>>>>>any Suggestions are Appreciated

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Marathon Maniac #957

Tom - you don't need to eat meat to have muscle - there are lots of non-meat protein sources.  But I think the best way to combat muscle loss is weight training.

C-R

But I think the best way to combat muscle loss is weight training.

Bingo. Weight machines are good to start. Free weights are best. I'm adding this to my plans in 2024

Jay, I'm happy to hear that you're back to walking and knee work. Things are looking up.

C-R, I think Holly's suggestion is a valid one.

tomwhite, I cheat when I snack at night, popcorn, no salt, no butter and a predetermined quantity. I eat meat protein 3X a week, fish 2X a week and vegy 2X a week (my DW is vegetarian) and I maintain a constant weight other than Christmas time as I have a fondness for cookies... Again, Holly is giving you great advice.

Ran a hard 4 miler on incline as 2 of my running partners are ill. Sheesh I guess that's what happens when you get old. Have a greight day Masters!

tomwhite I am going to third what Holly S., C-R and sub7 all said. If you do start weight training, then a protein powder supplement can help.

This morning I did some speedwork. Total run was 7 miles. In the middle it was 1 minute fast, 1 minute recovery. We will see if it makes any difference. How many more days to summer?

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

This morning I did some speedwork. Total run was 7 miles. In the middle it was 1 minute fast, 1 minute recovery. We will see if it makes any difference. How many more days to summer?

Twocat, if you persevere it will pay off in a big way. I ran last year using the Fartlek process and ran 5 HM events. In each of the 5 events I ran serious negative splits ranging from 44 -46 minutes on the back half. I attribute those results to modifying my training with speed work like you are talking about doing.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Twocat - when/where’s your next marathon. Any hills?

Tom - me too but, with DW doing all the shopping everywhere now not just at the Japanese grocery she doesn’t trust me that much to do, no more chances to slip day-old donuts or something into the cart that I wouldn’t otherwise do like I used to be able to do on my own because they were so cheap not to miss , I’ve been reduced to apple slices, grapes, etc. for my guilty pleasures but, I guess, with so much sitting around and sleeping, it hasn’t seemed to help that much yet.

Jay - me too flat on my back with knee raised up on a pillow but, fortunately, with being able to sleep in most any position I go to sleep in and, with a single dose of the PK’s to get me to sleep for a first couple of hours without the focus on what’s still going on in the knee and, then, just grinning and bearing it at the predictable midnight wake up until going back for a solid four or five more hours of zzz’ing, my morning’s now is about three hours after yours.

C-R: good luck on the apnea testing. As I found out about six years ago, a sure sign of it is a sudden jerking awake in the middle of the night short of breath or DW, featuring the worst, shaking you awake when you stop breathing. To my surprise, my overnight test with electrodes stuck on me all over the place showed more than a hundred times of stopping breathing mostly from several seconds but up to well over a minute. When I kind of said, “so what, I always start breathing again,” they said that it puts unnecessary stress on the heart but, somehow, I didn’t like the Dr. Apnea I was referred to so put it off until it seemed to have eventually diminished or went away but will have a follow-up one at the end of this month too to be sure.

With Dr. Knee being called out of town this week, today’s second follow-up with x-rays, etc. got rescheduled for tomorrow but with a different Dr. Orthopedic so I look forward to a possibly fresh perspective on what’s going on that’s easier to ask a new doctor about, especially with the pain that they told me “could last for one or two weeks in most patients,” but that’s now already finishing up week number four. I really don’t care that much one-way-or-the-other as the end result is well worth whatever it takes but it’s kind of disconcerting to be so badly misled but that’s okay, especially since I’ve been hearing from others that others have had the same prlonged pain too. We’ll see.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

bioguy

Thanks for all the snoring discussion. Mrs Bio is a terrific snorer. I am a light sleeper. Bad combination. I was a tad anxious about coming back to work Tuesday (ask teachers how they feel about Sunday night during the school year) so I said I wanted a good night's sleep and would hop into the guest room. That DID NOT go over well. We talked it out a bit and agreed we were somewhat incompatible with regards to sleeping. For now, I'm staying the course and sharing the bed.

Planning an easy interval workout after school today.

Thanks for the recap Jay!! I missed yesterday too but did walk 1 mile before work and .9 miles after work.

Today - 10  min warm-up ride on the Peloton, 30 min glute/leg strength workout - following a Peloton program for consistency, 45 min PZ endurance ride. I'm going to try and track my Peloton ride miles better this year.

Happy Wednesday!!

denise

Jay—that pace seems impressive at this stage of your rehab. Nice!

CR and bioguy—that sounds less than ideal. I hope you both find solutions.

Twocat-- We disagree and I understand you’ve already made up your mind about these issues.

Erika—good to see you on the bike again.

Steve—I like the “cheering” re-frame. I’ll keep that in mind next time.

TW—a word of caution: I added some strength work last year and I think it contributed inadvertently to the rotator cuff problem I’ve been having. I’m restarting now very slowly.

Tet—hope you get some answers with a different doc.

Too cold to ride this morning, so it was a lunch-time 21+ miler today under sunny skies.

Be safe. Be kind.