Masters Running

Now I'm 64 Saturday (Read 37 times)

Good morning Masters!!

10 blustery miles with the Sole Sister crew and birthday breakfast!!

Hope you all have a greta day!!

denise

and a Very Happy B'Day

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUDRIC5RSX4

also

since this one cracks me up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4PxuFQCDis

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Dave59

Happy birthday Deez. One more year and you'll catch up to me. 

I got out for 6.03 miles this morning. It was a little cool at the start but it has turned out to be a fantastic day weather wise. Sunny and 72 at the current moment.

I've been to the grocery store to get a few more things for Easter dinner with my father-in-law. And I've baked brownies to have for dessert to go along with the ice cream that I have in the freezer.

That's about it.  I am going to do a bit of work now. I could pull weeds in the landscaped areas around the house but work actually sounds better to me. 

Thanks Deez, and have a very happy 64th birthday!

10 miles with the group and I actually had 3 other women to run with, which is unusual.  It was a beautiful morning (52, mostly sunny to start) and we did a reasonable pace and it felt OK the whole way.  We did a giant loop around Franklin- a new course for most of us.  Coffee (well, Macha for me) afterwards.  Good morning.  I'll need a nap before Easter Eve Vigil service tonight.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Henrun

Happy Birthday Deez🎂

30 minute walk with Marj this sunny blustery morning.among the final marathon hordes.

Have been doing very short walks lately because of increased AFib and associated fatigue. Really feel out of shape but will keep at it.

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

Happy birthday, deez.  64 years old... yeah... I remember when I was 64... well, it was just a few months ago so I really do...

I went 16 miles, this morning.  This is the 2nd to last 16 miler before my marathon and the last couple of marathons, this is when things started to fall apart.  I think it was two years ago when I got really sick in the last couple of weeks and last year, I had some weird hip pain that sent me to emergency room.  And, right on schedule, I have a sore right calf.  It started hurting as we left church, last night and it hurt off and on throughout the whole run.  I honestly don't think it's anything to be to worried about, but it is annoying.

Okay--gotta go.  deez ain't the only one with a birthday, today... our grandson, Jack, turns 17 today and we're going out for lunch.  See ya!

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Deez - happy 64,

though it's only 57.

Henry - me too exhausted.

I've been blaming it on the almost three months of serious recovery non-activity following the TKR but even now when I'm not tired, I get tired about half way up the 10 flights I used to do with ease. Will mention it at my annual checkup in May and even ask about AFib.  Now that I'm getting better, I really want to be around in ten years to celebrate what you're getting ready for next month.

Cherry blossom season is so fickle, and usually short as the usually inclement March weather leaves them little time to hang on to the colorful branches but, voila! for the first time since I've been enjoying their springtime treat after a grey and dreary winter first in 1965 studying Japanese under them, the this March's mild, uneventful weather has continued the blossoms into a record third weekend.  Though I've seen it all, with a little rain squall yesterday and a windy evening, I figured I better go back out to see the blossoms blanketing the contrasting green grass lawns in the interior of the UW Quad and the 0.75 miles of pinked up red brick pathways in-and-out and around-and-about that were looking like a pink snowfall on the sister city park paths down in Chinatown yesterday.

Unfortunately, and unbelievable, there wasn't barely a fallen pedal in sight on the green grass lawns and Quad's red brick walkways. What the heck? Oh, I get it. Though, except for all their stupidity in sports directors, manager, coaches, recruiting, Big Ten, I worship the UW but they definitely let me down on this one: letting their clean up blowers and sweepers wipe the entire Quad clean and clear of every single fallen pink pedal that had drifted down on the remnant puddles of yesterday's floating blossoms and spotting the green lawns with pink along with hardly being able to see the red bricks. Never thought I would see anything more annoyingly industrious than the island's mission to make sure not a single red maple leave is left in the city parks and pathways in the fall to shuffle through but this takes the cake.

That's okay, though, as although Mr. Full Moon was in the clouds five days ago, the clearing skies this morning permitted a still prominent 94% waning gibbous above the gothic spires of the brick university building steeples up above and through the blossoms definitely made up for the sterile paths and summery lawn below.  Maybe they won't work on Saturday and tomorrow might be more like real.  Either way, I'll be there.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

mrrun

Deez - happy birthday - you're a young 64 - hope you're celebrating with the 'grands'

Walked with Henry and shortly going with GD2 to look at the outdoor art in Boston.  We've been trying to get together for 2 months and this is the first time it's happening.

marj

evanflein

Happy birthday, Deez! We'll be the same age for a few months!

Mike, sure hope that's nothing to worry about. You have a strange pattern going on there, time to break it. What's your upcoming marathon?

Tet, I ran in to George Berry the other day at the coffee shop, and he said how delightful it was to meet you and walk with you when the group was in Seattle. Yes, I said, that's our Jon, totally delightful! (btw... pedal=bike, petal=blossom, sorry just had to throw that in there)

Our snow is melting slowly, which is actually a good thing. Too much, too fast leads to flooding and road damage (washouts, potholes, etc) so I'm fine with the easy gentle breakup. Just makes it last longer though. My car is dreadfully muddy and I'm not taking it through the regular car wash so waiting for the "touchless" car wash to open next month. Had too much going on yesterday to get out for a walk but will do that today. We're working on getting my parents signed up for the Pioneers' Home "active" list, so they can be considered for the next open spots. It's the state-operated nursing home in Alaska, and very limited availability. But mom really needs nursing home care. They've been on the "inactive" list for over a decade, but need to make this next step asap. My sister and I can't continue the way we've been doing.

We're also realizing (well, have known for awhile) that we're living in a healthcare desert, especially pertaining to the elderly and their needs. Doctors just don't stay, and even the home care providers (not health care, just care and assistance like custodial care) are hard to find. It's really a wake up call to DH and me that we don't want to get really old here.

Tramps

Flyby post but I didn't want to miss Deez's 64th

5 trail miles for me.

Be safe. Be kind.

Happy Birthday Deez!

I agree with Marj, you are a young 64.

4 mile walk, including returning a book to the library, and going up the local residential hill. Sweeping views west and north from there. 574 feet of elevation gain in the loop I did. Should do that route more often. I need to work up to 3000-4000 feet gain day hikes.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

coastwalker

Hi Masters.

Thanks for taking time on your birthday to get us started, Deeze. Good run with the Sole Sisters (I saw a couple of women in Sole Sisters gear at the Frank Nealon 15K today) and a birthday breakfast. I hope the rest of your birthday has been and will be spectacular.

Good 6.03 this morning, Dave, and nice job of getting things ready for Easter dinner with your FIL.

Nice 10 miler with a crew, and in nice weather, KSA.

Good that you and Marj got out for a walk with the hordes, Henrun. I applaud you for getting out there, even with the fatigue. Marj, it must have been fun to visit some outdoor art with GD2 on this sunny day.

Nice 16 miler, Mike, except for the sore calf. I wonder if you need to relook at your marathon training program and perhaps make some adjustments so you don't get clobbered as you get close to your races?

Tet, of course, when you significantly reduce your level of activity, then doing what you used to do easily is tiring until you ramp back up again. Give it time - you'll get there. What's with those dang petal pushers at UW???

Good to read that you've got a slow snow melt going on, Evanflein. Good luck getting your parents into the Pioneers' Home. Healthcare deserts are tough on everyone, but especially older folks.

Nice 5 on the trails, Tramps.

Good 4 mile loop walk with elevation, Enke.

DW and I both heard a large tree trunk come down on the cottage in our back yard in the very high winds overnight. We had just contracted with someone to take another trunk off the same tree off the same roof. So now he'll have 2 trunks to remove. We don't know yet what kind of damage was done.

I went to the Frank Nealon 15K in Upton, MA this morning. I've never raced a 15K before, and haven't even done a 10K in over a year. So why not? It was sunny, breezy, and about 41° at the start. I had on light tights, a l/s shirt with my "65+ Runners Club" singlet over it, my orange racing cap, and my Altra Eecalente Racers (which I liked a lot in this race). There is no walking division in this race, and I saw from last year's results that it is a very fast field, so I was just using this as a test for me. The course is constant rolling hills, most of them really 'rollers' but a few more serious than that. I had my Garmin bud decided to not check my splits and go by feel instead. I started mid-pack, and got passed and closer to the back f the pack fairly quickly. So I just focused on hip rotation, stride length, and tried to keep my cadence up and consistent. I was glad I had a few runners nearby that I could pick off for motivation. I felt good through 7 miles, but then some fatigue started to kick in. There was a runner about 1/3 mile ahead of me who I was slowly making ground on, and that runner became my focus for the rest or the race. I was just about on her shoulder when we turned to the 2/10 downhill to the finish and she took off - but it was OK because she had done her job for me. My Garmin had my net time at 1:49.35 for an average 11:40 mile. Average cadence was 156, and average stride length was .88m. I was happier with the stride length than the cadence, and thought my time was decent for my longest race in a long time. I've been shot for the rest of the afternoon, but now have to regroup because we're going out to dinner with the neighbors.

Have a greta rest of your Saturday.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

wildchild

Carolyn

(btw... pedal=bike, petal=blossom, sorry just had to throw that in there)

We're working on getting my parents signed up for the Pioneers' Home "active" list, so they can be considered for the next open spots. It's the state-operated nursing home in Alaska, and very limited availability. But mom really needs nursing home care. They've been on the "inactive" list for over a decade, but need to make this next step asap. My sister and I can't continue the way we've been doing.

We're also realizing (well, have known for awhile) that we're living in a healthcare desert, especially pertaining to the elderly and their needs. Doctors just don't stay, and even the home care providers (not health care, just care and assistance like custodial care) are hard to find. It's really a wake up call to DH and me that we don't want to get really old here.

Erika, I was gonna say that about pedal and petal!     The Pioneers Home looks like an interesting concept - I'm not sure how many other states have a state-run system of nursing homes?   And yes, living near good medical care is important, especially as we get older.  At the cancer center in Denver, DH says he regularly sees people who have driven long distances to get there, from Wyoming, Nebraska, Kansas, and all over Colorado.

Our snow is melting slowly, too, and running in rivers down the muddy dirt roads.  Nice day, though, and I got out for 6 muddy miles.

Oh, yeah, Happy birthday, Deez! 

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Good job on the race, Jay!

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

moebo

Happy Birthday, Deez!

And excellent racing, Jay.

4.8 sunny but windy miles for me this morning, followed by lots of chores.