Masters Running

Friday 2.9.2024 (Read 39 times)

Dave59

Good morning folks. TGIF and all that stuff.

I went to the North Central Trail here in Gaylord for 4.04 miles this morning. Usually the trail would be groomed for snowmobiling at this time of year, but record warmth has cleared the trail for running. (The ground around the house still has plenty of snow.)

I then went to Cops & Donuts for coffee and a donut.

We moved to Houston Texas in 1999 when Union Carbide transferred my wife there from Charleston WV. (That is when I became a remote worker and have loved it ever since.)  I had never listened to country music before then but my older daughter and a friend of hers wanted to go to a big outdoor concert so I took them.  There was Brooks & Dunn, Montgomery Gentry, Keith Urban, Toby Keith, and maybe others that I don't remember now. I liked it and have listened to country music a lot since then. Toby Keith was a favorite of mine and I was sorry to hear of his death.

just hugs to tammy

[[[tammy]]]

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Just popping in to express my condolences to Tammy - keeping you and your mom in my prayers

Getting in my run/walks here and we did a crazy tropical

rainforest hike yesterday with our niece and her boyfriend!!

Today finally sunny again so off to explore more beaches.

The Inn is beautiful and the socializing at breakfast with the other guests has been great!! They cook a delicious vegan breakfast every morning -  great way to start the day!!

denise

Tramps

(((Tammy))) Glad you had a good last visit.

Doug--I'm with Holly about laptops. I can never seem to use them nearly as smoothly as my full-sized keyboard with my old desktop.

I just finished a pretty good novel by Yoko Ogawa, translated as "The Housekeeper and the Professor." Deceptively simple and elegant story about a mathematician who suffers from short-term memory loss due to an accident and his caretaker. Worth a read, especially for you number nerds (you know who you are). It’s a solid novel whether or not you’re into math but it’s a number-nerd’s delight, with discussions of square roots, factorials, prime, amicable numbers, triangular number sequences, the Ruth-Aaron pair, Mersenne prime, Napier's constant, Euler's formula, Fermat's Last Theorem, and Artin's conjecture. (Yeah, I'd never heard of a couple of those either.) One chapter begins, "The Professor loved prime numbers more than anything in the world."  Needless to say, I thought of some of you here.

Beautiful sunny day before our weekend rains are scheduled to arrive. Not quite 22 miles on the bike for me.

Have a good weekend.

Be safe. Be kind.

dnaff

No running to report but the day is still young and the weather is beautiful.  I found a new Irish bakery/coffee shop.  They specialize in every kind of loaf of bread imaginable and the coffee was darn good too. Fitting name: The Bread Lady at Donnybrook Corner.  I love a new coffee shop.  Carry on.  I may be back later to post a workout.

Thanks, Dave.  Satellite radio (Prime Country) is playing all Toby Keith for now.  I remembered how much I loved (and still love) his music.

Raining on and off, so I stayed inside.  4.5 miles.  Watched some recorded singer-songwriter shows from CMT.  One I bailed on but the  next one is good.  Got that done.  Treadmill guy is coming to replace (warranty) something with the motor on my treadmill- nothing that I noticed but it's drawing too many amps or something.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Nothing to report yet.

Tammy, I am glad things did not drag out in the ICU longer, and you had a good day with your Dad near the end.

Went to a work dinner last night that lasted 2.5 hours as everyone likes to spend time together now that we no longer have an office. But, wow I am tired today!

That book sounds interesting Tramps.

Steve, hope the PT helps!

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Steve/Holly - me too on the 2:00 am

but mine's still due to Mr. Knee.

"The Professor loved prime numbers more than anything in the world." 

Tramps - nice find.

Like Holly, I liked yesterday's "ain't as good as i once was" part but "Back in my prime" may be even more apropos,

ps - and to think I thought

it was only Wildchild.

Almost did a Safeway circuit to get some Valentine goodies for sister and DS/GS this morning but with the week's finale with Dr. Torture coming up in an hour at 11:00 am, I think I'll do it on the way back when I'll get the lunar new year goodies to add in their USPS Priorities I need to mail today or tomorrow.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Henrun

Stretching, balance exercises and leg weights this morning followed by 30 minutes of walk/run (mostly run) in my new Hokas. Felt really good.

Still relatively mild as we await warmer temps next 2 days. Then winter returns.

Thanks for the start, Dave.

And thanks for the book tip, Tramps. It's now on my Goodreads list and I see that the library has a copy on the shelves. It's a 2009 release so probably doesn't check out all that often these days.

dnaff, I hope that Donnybrook Corner doesn't ever live up to its name when you're there!   Sounds like a good find though.

I think that I have a pretty eclectic taste in music, going from classical to blues to a bit of country, and of course classis rock & roll. Back when I had a Sirius/XM subscription (used to get a year free with a new car) my favorite stations were BB King's Bluesville; Elizabeth Cook's show on Outlaw Country (could listen to her talk all day); Margaritaville (in small doses -- you only need so many margaritas and cheeseburgers at 5 o'clock); and also the 50s and 60s channels.

I finally made it outside on the hybrid bike a little while ago for a short ride of 7.4 miles with 345 ft of climbing. I would have stayed out longer but it was very windy; at one point my Garmin showed that I was going straight into a 18mph headwind! No wonder I was struggling and only making 9mph . I did get some payback from the hugh tailwind on the way back but it never makes up for it. My Strava results showed that I got PRs on two sharply uphill segments along my route, beating times from three years ago. At least it shows that the indoor training pays off.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

coastwalker

Hi Masters.

Thanks for the start, Dave. Looks like you and a bunch of other folks got in some good workouts today.

I hope you and your Mom will accept my condolences for the passing of your Dad, Tammy. Like everyone else here, I'm very glad you had a good day with him on Monday, that his suffering wasn't long, and that he left you with a challenge that we know you'll handle, and that you'll never forget.

After some very strange dreams last night (I was in Prague and in Ukraine, and have never been to either place), I slept in a bit this morning and missed my workout op before I joined DW at the breakfast table and then got to work. But I did take some time this afternoon to get out for 3.8 EZ miles in sunny 46° temps.

It has been a busy day today, and I'm very much looking forward to chilling with DW this evening. I have a work session with the Board of our nonprofit tomorrow morning, and DW and I are driving to Rockport, MA tomorrow evening for dinner and a concert by a local string band we've never heard - should be fun.

Have a greta Friday evening.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

......30-min ARC Trainer.........

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Marathon Maniac #957

Hey folks.

Made it to our Montego Bay resort with no snafus (thank goodness).  Eating dinner now.  Will post some pics tomorrow.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Condolences, Tammy. It's great that you had a good day with him before he passed.

Borderline t-shirt weather, 58 but sunny and no breeze. I did 5 miles along the shore.

I hit 191 HR today, but I think my watch glitched. Kinda went up from 150 to 191 in one minute, and took as long to come down, and it was on a flat section at steady pace before and after. When I hit the 184 the other day it had crept up to it and hovered around there for several minutes, so it was probably accurate.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

Glad you made it to paradise, Holly.  Looking forward to pictures!

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth