Masters Running

Saturday 3/16/24 Runs, Workouts, and Whatever (Read 34 times)

Marathon Maniac #957

Howdy folks.

It is technically 3/16/24, even if it is really the night before.  I went to sleep for a couple of hours, then woke up at midnight feeling very awake.  (sigh)  Instead of tossing and turning for an hour, I decided to get up and watch TV for a bit, and will head back to bed in a while when I start to get sleepy.  Happy Saturday!

Tet - yes, that was an amazing story.  That woman so so lucky to have friends with her!  She would have died, for sure, without them.

In the South it's more like flipping a switch and suddenly you go from winter to full-blown Spring in just a few days. We've done that transition. Pear trees, daffodils, etc. are all in bloom, grass needs mowing, and everything else is budding so it's officially Spring.

Similar here, although not quite so dramatic.  But here in southern Ohio, once we get a couple of really good rainstorms in the spring (we have had several the last week or so), combined with the brighter sun and longer days, you can really see everything suddenly come to life.  Of a sudden, the daffodils are in full bloom, then the grass turns brilliant green, then the dogwoods and forsythias explode into bloom, all within a week or so of each other.  There are lots of trees still bare, but some are already covered in white or pink blossoms, others in red buds.  I love this time of year, when I can see new life unfolding daily!

We are watching "The Gentlemen" on Netflix - anyone here see it?  I like it, although there is one character I would like to kick in the teeth, but that is sort of the point with that character.  I had to laugh, and be a little shocked, at a scene in the last episode we saw where they showed an elderly man (gosh, I'm not even sure where the "elderly" label is appropriate anymore) running out of a (his) castle, fully naked and carrying an assault rifle (wait, am I allowed to say that here?  Shhh..).  DH and I were both a bit shocked that they showed him fully naked, but also at the amazing size of his personal part.  We had to rewind it several times to make sure we were really seeing what we thought we were seeing.  

The funniest part of that episode was that the "Gentleman" in question insisted on being buried in a coffin with a glass window, buried upright and facing the house, sticking out of the ground enough that his face could look at the house, as if he could still see.  How creepy is that, right?  I bet it's been done, though, somewhere....

Given that women have been naked in film and TV for decades, I applaud the industry showing some full frontal of male actors.  I mean, fair is fair, right?  Every time I see a male actor fully nude I mentally do a fist-pump - FINALLY, men have to deal with that indignity as well as women.

Anyway - have any of you any recommendations for Netflix, Prime, or Hulu (our current channels)?

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Holly - my knee got me up again but I just walked it out going to the refrigerator and back for some perfectly ripe, soft honey dewa I'd cut up earlier today

Yesterday's first of four warm days coming up started bursting forth the cherry blossoms down at the sister city Park I like in the ID that was part of the day's five walking miles even though some ot the normally earlier but many late this year yellow and white daffodils are still poking through. Definitely a cherry blossom viewing Sunday on tap at the UW quad under the same Yoshino cherry trees I did for the first time as a freshman in March 1962 several years before I realized how much the rest of my life would be consumed by things Japan to say nothing of almost ten wonderful years over there.

Sounds like the worst movie of all time in both regards. However, after our Seattle's famed Solstice parade of the former, painted and unpainted, the city just realized they can't stop the clubs, or anywhere else from doing it either and several down the street already have an unofficial jump on it that they've been doing for a long time anyway.

Annual Alaska travel show tomorrow I like to show up at with caps and airlines bags from long non-existent carriers I used to like, . . . back in the days when they used to check if doors, wheels, etc. had been actually bolted on or not

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Thanks, Holly, and an early good morning to all.  3.1 treadmill miles before our flight to CA through Denver.  Catch you later.  I'm scrambling to get ready.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

coastwalker

Mornin' Masters.

It is not often that, at 7:55AM, I am the 4th poster for the day.

Thanks for the early start, bridging yesterday and today, Holly. I hope you got back to sleep. Was it The Gentleman that was keeping you awake?

At this point, we're usually 1.5-2 months from when Spring really shows up here, but with as warm as it has been, it might come a bit earlier this year. We'll see.

I also hope you got back to sleep, Tet, and that you enjoy the Alaska Travel Show today with all your throwback caps and bags.

Good preflight TM miles, KSA. I hope it is a good trip.

I (finally) had a consult with a hematologist after my pulmonary embolism last November - my doc wanted to make sure there weren't any underlying blood-related issues that might have contributed to the PE. The hematologist gave me a thumbs-up and said I can stop taking Eliquis, although I may want to go back on a blood-thinner temporarily if I have any more surgeries or long flights. I'm glad to be rid of a drug that I didn't really think I needed.

I woke at 4:05 this morning, snoozed for about 35 minutes, and then headed out for a workout. I went 5.15 RW miles at a pretty good tempo pace in foggy 36° temps. Now we have to pack up and hit the road 'cause we're visiting my sister in W. Hartford, CT for an overnight.

Have a greta Saturday.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

not off to a good start. Allowed plenty of time, but got caught in a total construction delay on the interstate and wound up not being allowed to board our flight because the doors were closed. Trying to get on a mid-day standby flight through Dallas, but it’s full. If not, we will have spent all day here at Nashville airport and will get to Palm Springs at midnight. We are trying to remain calm. I’m already exhausted. At least there is a new VooDoo Donuts (Pacific Northwest favorite, I think) and I had a giant apple fritter and a Diet Dr. Pepper. Travel is just so difficult these days. It almost makes you want to just stay home. We’ve never missed a flight- never run late- never mess up. I guess we did this time!

Thanks for the start, Holly. I thought of two other Hulu series we've liked: I've mentioned before, "Reservation Dogs" is a creative, funny, surreal series about young people from the Muskogee Nation in Oklahoma  Also, there's an excellent BBC mini-series production of Dicken's hilariously scathing take on the legal system, "Bleak House"; with a stellar British cast.

Safe travels, Jay. Did I ever mention one of my brothers lives in Bristol?

. . . back in the days when they used to check if doors, wheels, etc. had been actually bolted on or not

Comedian John Oliver had an informative episode about Boeing you might enjoy. He's very good at what he does.

I had a giant apple fritter and a Diet Dr. Pepper.

Breakfast of champions!

Picture-perfect, IRC Spring day here for my 5-miler this morning.

Enjoy the weekend!

Be safe. Be kind.

Dave59

Leaping Leprechaun 5k in Ashland KY.

27:50 - 9:05, 9:10, 9:01, :33

2 of at least 3 in 65-69 men (No results posted but I stayed for awards and got a ribbon.)

Course measured short on the Garmin at 3.06 but that could be my fault. It was a bit of a weird course. Run 4 blocks from a school to a mall, run around the mall 3 times, and then 4 blocks back to the school. We were instructed to stay on the "right side of center line" around the mall which would be the outside lane.  Many people (at least half) were running on the inside lane, and I ended up cutting a corner here and there due to runner traffic and laziness.   I'd like to know what the distance was for people running the inside lane all the way around. Probably not even 3 miles. I wanted a true 5k distance but it is hard to force yourself to take the long way around corners when there are no cones or lines. 50 years of running where you always take the most direct route is a hard habit to break.

Post race donuts were store bought brand and I was kind of hoping for Krispy Kreme or Dunkin, so I stopped by Tim Horton's on the way home for a good donut and some coffee.

It was good weather, 37° and pretty clear. I was surprised to find a little ice on my windshield when I left this morning. The fog was super dense on the drive to the race but it lifted by the time the race started. I had to drive over the Ohio River twice on the way and I could barely see 20 feet in front of me when crossing on the bridges.

Race director said there were 164 people which was his largest race since pre-covid days.

Good race, Dave.  That sounds like a not very thrilling course!  I know you were in Kentucky, but is there a Tim Horton’s in Charleston?  Did I miss it?

Still at the Nashville airport.  Not at all confident we’ll get on the 12:45 flight, which if we don’t means another 3 hours in the airport and a really late arrival tonight.  Disappointing.

Dave59

I was at a Tim Hortons in Ashland. There isn't one in Charleston. The closest is 12 miles away in St. Albans.

Marathon Maniac #957

Still at the Nashville airport.  Not at all confident we’ll get on the 12:45 flight, which if we don’t means another 3 hours in the airport and a really late arrival tonight.  Disappointing.

Boy that sucks.  I hate flying, and flight delays are the worst.  I hope you get there sooner than late.

Dave - well done on a not so great course.

Tramps - thanks, I will look those up.

Beautiful brilliantly sunny day here.  Boy that grass is so green!  But a cold snap had it at 36 degrees this morning, although it has warmed up nicely to about 60 now.  I got out when it was still 36 and got in 2 miles, then about 35 minutes of weights and core.

Did the grocery shopping, then ran some errands with DH, followed by lunch with a friend.  We had not seen this friend since last summer, and I was frankly shocked by his appearance.  Always overweight, he seems to have totally given up at this point.  We had to move to a table because he would not fit in the booth.  He may be as much as 400 lbs, and his beard and hair have grayed considerably in the last year.  I told DH afterward that he looked like he had aged 20 years since I saw him last summer.  Now he is dealing with a twisted aorta (haven't heard of that before) degenerative disk disease in his back, gout, and goodness knows what else.  I feel so sad for him!  

Now we are back home in our fuzzy pants and I am puttering around the house at various things.  I love puttering around the house!  The warm temps of late have brought the weeds up in force, so I will be spending some time later pulling weeds.

Happy Saturday!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

We did not get on the 12:45 flight so now it’s 4:45 and arriving in Palm Springs close to midnight.  Ugh.   We had hot chicken and I broke my alcohol free Lent with a beer.  I was going to drink wine in California anyway…..   We are pretty much over being in the airport, but our airport is really good and has lots of food choices and plenty of seating, so it could be worse.

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

Dave, my dad grew up in Ashland, KY... I think he was born there... I'm sure I have a few relatives that still live there... did you happen to see any of them?

I went 16 miles, today with a 22 mph wind in my face for half the time... including the last 3 miles.  It wasn't fun, but it's done.  And, now, it's off to get our taxes done... I'd rather be running into a 22 mph wind...

Okay--gotta go.  See ya!

Good racing Dave!

Nice long run Mike.

KSA, some airlines are horrible, no such thing as "customer service". I added American to my "no-fly" list of garbage airlines along with Spirit and Frontier. If I have to take one of those to get where I'm going, I'll look for flights by some other airlines to  nearbest hub and take a bus to final destination. We're lucky that we can choose from SFO or OAK to fly, which opens up a lot of airlines options.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

And, now, it's off to get our taxes done... I'd rather be running into a 22 mph wind...

Okay--gotta go.  See ya!

Oh, right, taxes. I think I'll wait until the last day as usual.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

anneb

Sorry about the delays, KSA. I guess you were due…

Been a busy week with the H out of town and work/dog/etc. He’s made it back from Jacksonville (TPC for any golfers) so we can end the week on a more normal schedule. 

My Badgers got a nice win over Purdue earlier today! On to the Big 10 final tomorrow.

Anne