Masters Running

Thursday Too Legit to Quit First Day of February (Read 39 times)

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

32F

4.36 miles

Good Morning!  I'll start the daily. I ran (ish)

Under a bright half moon and starlit sky

I smiled as I sprang down the multipurpose path. I said "good morning" to the bunnies hopping into the woods as I padded by.

As the route wore on, the air filled with fog providing an ethereal atmosphere for this one single runner. Me.

Time keeps on slipping slipping slipping into the future...

I have to get a shower before my 0830 haircut appointment.

Be well

mrrun

For those who have forgotten what the yellow disk is or a blue sky, here's some pics from our trip.

Chihuly museum Seattle

Hilo Farmer's market

Hilo zoo

Akaka water falls - walked enough steps to make tet jealous

tree that marks the height (8' to 26') of 5 tsunamis that hit Coconut Island. In the far right is Mauna Kea

Dave59

Lots of 3's today. According to Garmin, at 6:03 I ran 3.03 miles in a time of 33:13. It was also 39°.

I put my pants on while standing but I wear a bicycle helmet because I remember Holly previously telling the story of the guy who fell and hit his head.

Great pictures. That tree is something else. Tsunamis fascinate me. I watch tsunami videos on YouTube. The water is unstoppable.

Thanks for the start, RCG.  Love the pictures, MR!  Blue sky for sure.

Off to a meeting, but got in 4 miles.  29 degrees and sunny.  Catch y'all later.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Marathon Maniac #957

Marj - love the pictures!

My speech therapist (1 on 1, training ST) said that I have gotten her to run   She wants to do a half marathon sometime in the spring!

I love this!

Dental cleaning this morning.  Sadly, I have a filling that broke, so have go back to fix it.  Pretty minor, though, that's the good part.

I really don't mind the cloudy days.  Where I live, winter sun usually is accompanied by bitter temps, and the cloudy days are usually warmer.  I like warmer.

A word about daily meds - DH was on 5 or 6/day for years, decades, even, but last year's 50 lb weight loss means he is now off ALL of them, including the diabetes meds. We never did figure out why he lost the weight, but he seems to be feeling back to normal now, so we are just taking a wait-and-see approach.

40 minutes on the stationary bike for me today.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

TammyinGP

wonderful photos Marj! I know you all are enjoying your trip!

Haven't run yet this week and my january miles were a bit disappointing - didn't even hit 100.  I'm glad to turn the monthly calendar over and hope that February is better.

re: my dad. I spent yesterday with him. still in ICU but yesterday he was at least more coherent. Still only getting IV fluids & medicines. did another CT scan and the aorta tear is the same, so it's a positive that it hasn't gotten worse. BP still has to be managed with pretty strong BP drugs. Kidney and intestinal function not where they would like to see it so that's a concern as well. But we did have a little conversation yesterday - he could say a few words at least. My mom will go today and I've asked her to see if he remembers me there yesterday. kind of a check on his memory, which doesn't seem to be very well right now. 

I'm planning on a run today. Hopefully outside if it's not pouring rain. Otherwise, looking like a TM run for me.

Tammy

coastwalker

Mornin' Masters.

Thanks for the start, RCG, and the Steve Miller reference. I should cue up some of his music today. Nice work on your moon-lit 4.36 miles.

Wonderful photos, Marj - especially the one of you and Henry.

Nice collection of 3s, Dave. Also, you are the 3rd person to post today. I think I'd rather sit to put my pants on (which I don't do) than take the time to put on a bike helmet every time. Yes, storm water is unstoppable: We say that a few weeks ago in our town where jersey barriers were moved quite a distance and huge chunks of parking lot black top were ton out and moved many yards away.

Good pre-meeting 4 miles, KSA.

Nice work on the stationery bike, Holly. Sorry about another trip to the dentist.

I also think it is so great that Stumpy converted his ST into a runner - well done!

I came back after Tammy posted to say that I appreciate the update on Dad, and I'm glad that he is at least stable and not getting worse.

I got up a little late this morning, but still got out to, like RCG, enjoy the light of a half moon for the first time in what seems like weeks that we've had persistent cloud cover. I racewalked 5.7 miles and, for the first time post-surgery, got in the last 2.7 miles at a 12+ minute pace. I know, it seems slow, but it is progress for this ole walker. My stride length, at .82m, is still too short (should be .85-.87), but I think my brain is still worried about over-extending my leg and how it might impact my knee, so it is holding me back. So I'll have to have a chat with my brain to get it to let go so I can continue to get back in shape. I got a late start this morning because I was fasting for a blood test for an upcoming annual physical and wouldn't be able to eat till after the blood draw at 8:00, so there was no reason to rush things this morning. I did some good and necessary stretching after my workout, and then went grocery shopping which filled the time and got me to the blood lab right on time.

Have a greta Thursday and February.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

RCG, good run, love the prose, some of it reminiscent of a fellow I once met, Steve something mebbe...

mrrun, outstanding pics!, what beautiful scenery!

Dave59, good 3 mile run. What kind of Garmin are you wearing?

Karen, of course you're good for a 4 miler! What was I thinking?

Holly, good job on the bike. I hope your DH is feeling much better. Now the trick will be to keep the weight cansistent.

TammyinGP, praying for you and your dad. I hope this situation gets resolved.

coastwalker, unreal, I had the Greatest Hits CD on my headphones this morning for my track run. You guys are showing your age, lol Great 5.6 RW by the way!

Put in 5.01 quick miles today with Jerome 38'00" for my possibly last track run here before the trip unless I pull a Karen and go again tomorrow morning before our afternoon flight. Jerome's training hard for the Boston with another fellow runner of mine from the FOGGS, Brian. Have a great day all!

Tammy - thanks for the update on your Dad

Marj - gorgeous pics!! You and Henry look great!!

I slept in a little this morning and ran solo - I wanted the extra sleep plus the side roads around my house are cleared to the pavement and have little to no traffic so I chose to run from home instead of the group. 4.5 mile run .3 mile walk to cool-down

So sad, but leaning towards not going to the banquet/gala tonight after all. Two people from the retreat tested positive - not sure if they were people I spent a lot of time with or not, but it has me thinking. I have no symptoms and am vaccinated - do I test?? Do I really want to risk being around 100 women eating, drinking, dancing tonight?? I have a plane to catch Saturday morning and want to be safe/healthy for that - will likely wear an N95 in the airport and on the plan just to be safe in case I pose any risk to others and somewhat to protect myself until we actually land in St Croix.  I AM SO SICK OF COVID!!!!!!!

denise

Thanks for the update on your dad, Tammy.  I actually had a conversation with you about him in my dream last night. 

Short and quick because I'm drowning in work:

I got in a good 40 min of core/ST after work yesterday.  Unfortunately, my 30 min on the stat bike ended up irritating the bursa so I'm gonna have to reach out my ortho and see what the next step is.  It feels "okay" so far this morning, but I need to be able to ride my bike.

This morning I stuck my head out our slider at 4:45 and it was a resounding, "Nope."  I don't mind starting my O-dark 30 runs in a drizzle or even a light rain, or finding myself in the middle of a run and it starts raining, or even starting a run during daylight in a solid rain.  But having just crawled out of bed and it's dark and it's a solid rain?  Nope.  Just nope.

Leslie
                      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

SteveP

Tammy- Thank you for the update on your father.

SteveP

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

I really don't mind the cloudy days.  Where I live, winter sun usually is accompanied by bitter temps, and the cloudy days are usually warmer.  I like warmer.

Holly - me too. I've never complained about the weather and never will but being in rain country sure develops an appreciation for the sunny, warm ones, especially the henrun/marj pictures reminding us that, if we're patient enough and enjoy what we've got, the warm ones are sure to come to us too.

Tammy - if it's anything like I was in the hospital for my TKR/TKA, I'd be surprised if your dad remembers anything about in there but, if not,  maybe try some non-hospital reminders.  Good luck to him.

ps - still two less than January but enjoy the extra day for some extra miles this month,

Twocat - Dr. Torture was telling me he hadn't seen such glee on their stationary since an inveterate cyclist got his first full revolution too.  I don't think I'll get to the eight and more you're doing but I'm hoping that, the way recovery is finally going, I've, at least, got one more in me to enjoy.

deez - nothing wrong with the gala, . . . if you weren't doing anything else but, I agree, it sure doesn't seem worth the risk of jeopardizing St. Croix. Hope you get to wear the dress, though, somehow.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Marathon Maniac #957

deez - nothing wrong with the gala, . . . if you weren't doing anything else but, I agree, it sure doesn't seem worth the risk of jeopardizing St. Croix. Hope you get to wear the dress, though, somehow.

My thoughts, too.

(((Tammy's Dad)))

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Since Groundhog Day is tomorrow, I thought it might be appropriate to post this link to an interview my nephew did with a radio station regarding a website he created about Groundhog Day. The podcast is about 10 minutes long and should give you a few laughs.

https://www.iheart.com/podcast/962-montreal-now-96086768/episode/an-awesome-resource-for-groundhog-day-146910301/

If you are intrigued, also check out his website  groundhog-day.com to see the various groundhogs and other winter/spring prognosticators around the world. I didn’t realize Snohomish WA has a frog as their “groundhog”, and Portland OR has a beaver! (Paul gets that one wrong in his Podcast, thinking it’s Seattle)

Fantastic pictures, Marj and Henry!

{{Tammy}}

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Deez- tough call.  I think I would skip the Gala.  St. Croix is the main goal.  I wouldn't test, personally, if you don't have symptoms.  Put a test in your luggage for ST. Croix, though.

Tammy- I'm glad your Dad is stable.  What a worry.

Had lunch with my old boss (the good one) after my church meeting.  It was good to see him and catch up.  We had such a great group.

Sub- your flight is in the AFTERNOON! Of course you should run in the morning!  Smile

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth