Masters Running

CNYrunner and Super-Granny's Buffalo adventure: Margaritas, laughs and a half-marathon master's PR (Read 356 times)

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Great race and even better report!!! Sounds like energy and joy of living runs (literally) in your family. Always eager to hear tales of upstate NY. It's a lovely time of year there. Too bad you missed Lilac Sunday as you passed Rochester. Kevin

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Wow, 97.5 years old, dancing, laughing and drinking margaritas!! Unbelievable! You must have inherited some of those genes, because your report is just sparkling with energy, and very witty too! So now that you are winning second o/a masters, with money, perhaps you can just travel around scooping up prize money at races and give up your day job! Wink Fantastic report...thankyou.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

HermosaBoy

Great race and prizes. Spending time with two people so dear to you makes it priceless!!!

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

Marathon Maniac #3309

Karin....that was one of the best race reports I have ever read....so funny. Oh, great time and finish too by the way... you are a hoot, and a very strong runner!!! Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Karin, I am going to say to you what I said to Tall after his race this week....You are one fast dude..er dudette !! Great story about your family I enjoyed reading it. Sounds like great characters for a movie or TV show. Larry

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

What a delightful weekend you had! I was thinking of you on Saturday morning as I skirted my way around Buffalo on I-90. I'm glad you had a great race. Congrats on the PR! As proud and admiring as you are of your dear Granny, I have no doubt she thinks the world of you. Thanks for sharing your weekend with us. Skip
              SteveP

I love what you share about your grandmother. Your race rocked!!! Thanks

SteveP

nowor

Karin, This brought tears to my eyes. The G's are just so special. Thanks for sharing them w/ us. Your guys are so great to let you go for the weekend. Good racing too. I guess drinks and dancing are good prep for AG award. Enjoy that $...the memories will last.
                    Karin, there are some serious runners in this forum, and then there are the "superstars." I don't need to say which category you are in! This was a delightful RR to read, and I really enjoyed the stories about your grandmother and her sister. Your story about the sisters and the Erie canal reminded me of this part of a family letter about two old sisters: "Last summer she went to visit her daughter, who resides at Eaton, with no one to accompany her but myself, which is distant from Penfield one hundred & forty or fifty miles. She stood the journey remarkably well, staid about six weeks, & returned highly pleased with her visit. On our way home we had fine weather, agreeable company (though entire strangers) & Grandmother enjoyed herself so much & it always agrees with her to travel, even if she is not very well. I recollect her saying one afternoon (as we were sitting in the neat, little cabin of a canal boat) if I could only go all the way to Kentucky, in this comfortable easy way of traveling, I would soon see my sister Keziah, but this she cannot do." The sister in Kentucky that the writer is referring to was my great-great-great-grandmother. These two sisters were born in the 1760s and both lived into their 80s, but after migrating westward to two different areas of the young country, they never saw each other again for the last 50 years of their lives. It's wonderful that you were able to do this for your relatives.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Karin.. what a wonderful weekend. Just perfect all the way around! Congratulations on the master's PR and your 2ns place and earnings! I enjoyed every word of your RR! Yuz Fast! Steve

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Congrats, great race, Karin! Of course, loved the story about the Super Gs. My mom was one of 9, first 4 boys, then 5 girls and my mom was the middle girl. You reminded me of times when the sisters would all get together--we cousins had a blast just watching and listening. And then there's one of my favorite photos of all time--I snapped one of my mom and my favorite aunt on my dad's side---we were in the Boston Gardens the weekend of one of my graduations, and they started fussing over my mom's cane (she had a bad knee--my aunt was a nurse) and my friend got a wonderful shot of them teasing each other (with lots of arm involvement!) and me behind the bench doing a soft-shoe maneuver with the cane. Anyway, this isn't about me, but just wanted to say thanks for making that memory revive for me, and to let you know I think I have a sense of some of the joy you experienced this weekend. Now, I have a query. You've said your dad was a talented runner--while I realize there weren't organized track events for women when your Gran was younger (shoot, there wasn't much when I was a kid, back in the olden days), are there any family stories about her running prowess? grins, A
                        Masters 2000 miles

Marathon Maniac #957

Karin – thank you for sharing this great report. You know already that I am a huge fan of your granny’s and I love to hear about her (and now her sister’s as well) wisdom and zest for life – margaritas and dancing at age 97 – what amazing women! As for the race, well, those stats speak for themselves – congratulations! You are a remarkable woman in so many ways, but your running leaves me breathless – great racing!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

This report was really a joy to read, CNY. The super G's are amazing. You can write about them any time. Your race was great, too. Congrats on a fast race and master's PR. Winning $$$ isn't all bad, either. TomS
                              Confused I already submitted a comment........Am I confused?
                              Vista
                              coastwalker

Hi Karin, What a beautiful RR! How sweet and generous of you to plan your schedule so that you could get the GGs together and spend time with them. And it seems like it was time very well spent! How wonderful that both women focus their energies on living, rather that dwelling on what is wrong in their lives as too many other people do. That is probably why they are so energetic and fun to be with, even at their young ages. Congratulations to you on another greta race performance, on your well-earned award, and on your PR. The joy you clearly get from racing, and the talent you bring to your races are a wonderful and special combination. It seems that the margarita didn't hurt your performance one bit, and neither did the night-before martini I had a couple of weeks ago. Perhaps there is an exciting new pre-race strategy developing! Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.