Masters Running

Taco Tuesdaily, 3.5.24 (Read 36 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' Masters.

I had a very full and long day yesterday, so I didn't post and still haven't read yesterday's daily. Sorry. Today is another busy day, and I have to be out the door in 25 minutes for some sand dune walkway assessments. So this is another quick post.

I started yesterday with 80 minutes of core and weights work, and then snuck out for a 2.5 mile walk in the afternoon. I was up and out on time this morning for 5.5 predawn RW miles in 39° temps and a steady, breeze-blown mist, followed by 35 minutes of stretching and weights.

OK - gotta go. Have a greta Tuesday.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Dave59

I managed 3 miles this morning after procrastinating so long that I almost ran out of time to get a workout done.

Work continues to spiral out of control. I try to keep up by working on the weekend but even that didn't help much this week. Yesterday, I had a project manager ask about a specific task in the morning, then checked in again with me in the afternoon. I told them I only had time to write a few lines of code all day because I am asked to handle every problem from everyone all day long (or at least that is how it seems to me.)  I'm sure word of my exasperated response will find it's way back to someone who will say something to me about it....

Oh well, "Nothing lasts forever, few things even last for long: all are susceptible of decay in one way or another; moreover all that begins also ends." - Seneca

Thanks, Jay.  Dave- I really feel for you with the work stress.  It should not be that way.

Raining outside and Robert Earl had me up at 4 am with stomach issues.  I'm glad I have a nice neighborhood for middle of the night (to me) walks.

4.1 treadmill miles.  I kept hoping I could get outside, but it wasn't to be.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Marathon Maniac #957

Hey folks.

60 degrees this morning (!), so I got in 2.25 miles ahead of the rain.

As you were.....

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Henrun

75 sunny degrees this morning. Out for a 1.6 mile walk and a nap. Shortly we’re driving south for an hour for our annual lunch get together with a couple we met on a running cruise 20 years ago. They live in NJ and winter 2 hours south of Sarasota, so we have lunch with them at a half way point They’re about the same age as us and the woman has written a book for older women runners. Always nice to catch up.

Thanks for the start, Jay.

That Mariposai pic from Sunday is one for the Masters Hall of Fame.

Dave:

NHL trade deadline Friday. It'll be interesting to see who's left on my Caps team by then.   Lots of players with "for sale" tags on them.

After a gorgeous Spring day yesterday (I even put the window screens back up), it rained all night and was still pouring this morning. It finally stopped abruptly mid-morning and I got a 5-miler done on very soggy roads with minor flooding everywhere.  More rain coming later this week.

Be safe. Be kind.

Snow on the ground here. Ok. Makes me think it's December.

Dave, I can't see you getting into trouble for saying the truth.

Work continues to be a bear as we inch forward towards a New Drug Application to be submitted to the FDA, with hundreds of documents needing finalization. I am only helping with about 8, but that is more than the other writers. Been getting into stupid little arguments with my boss over "process" issues. He even asked me if I could cancel my day and a half vacation booked in a couple weeks. I said no. No return money on the AirBnB in Vancouver and 4 people are going with me, depending on me to drive and be there.  1.5 days, and he was freaking out. I agreed I would be online most of that weekend and work if needed. I now understand why people look forward to retirement!

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

coastwalker, keep up the good work, 5.5 predawn RW miles, then stretching and weights. Outstanding!

Dave59, I sympathise  but if I understand correctly, your job is to write code. At some point the outside noise (everyone's problems) should be handed off elsewhere, not in your plate.

Karen, I'm sorry to hear about Robert Earl's problem. You are fortunate to live in a neighborhood where you can safely walk at 4:00 AM. Good on you to log 4.1 dreadmill miles. I think you would have loved theNayarit holiday we had. I posted an ad outside the gym looking for runners to run outside and got swamped with offers. I could have run every day if that was what I wanted...

Tramps, I think your team needs a talent transplant, they are mostly old and tired... Good luck with that and the trade deadline.

enkephalin, you just reminded me why I retired years ago.

Today I got out for a quick 4.5 miler on the track before coming home because we had a couple of people coming in to service appliances that went kaput before we left for Mexico. Have a great day all!

Dave59

I won't get in any trouble at work, maybe just a discussion about blocking out time better. I try, but I can't do it. If I block out a few hours and a programmer has a question that I could answer quickly, they end up waiting a few hours for an answer.

I am a programmer and a "manager" and come December 17th I will have been with this company in one form or another for 40 years. There isn't many things that I don't have some experience with and am able to help with when needed. Two things drive me crazy - When I have something I can't figure out or if I get too many interruptions at one time. Fortunately, most the people I work with are more mature than me and don't let it bother them if I have a little venting/complaining episode now and then. 

Regarding hockey. This has been the most disappointing season in 50+ years because expectations were high at the start of the year. But even though this will be year 13 without making the playoffs I hope they don't do anything drastic. They are still the youngest team in the league and have the top ranked prospect pool. They need a few tweaks but I hope they don't screw this up.  Just give the group one more year and if it still doesn't work, move the team to Hamilton Ontario (or anywhere).

Marathon Maniac #957

I now understand why people look forward to retirement!

Wait - only now?  I think I've been looking forward to retirement since I was about 30......

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Mike E

MM #5615

I have always looked forward to retirement… but I’ve always dreaded being old enough to retire…

BTY

Jay -  you're quite conscientious to start the daily with such a busy day that starts so early.   I hope you aren't missing out on stuff just to get the daily going for us.

Dave, that sucks.

Retirement is 7 months and 25 days out for me.  Another way to look at it is Daylight Savings Time starts in about 5 days and I'm retiring 5 days before it ends.    

I had expected to start failing shy of 6 repetitions on my strength workouts, using the 10-2 cadence.  It could be that I just lowered the weights way more than I needed to, but I don't have any regrets if I did.  I know that everything is less sore than it would be had I only backed them off a bit and was already in the 4-repetition-and-failure zone.   The super slow training is particularly friendly to my right shoulder, which is the one where I tore my rotator cuff about 10 years ago, and (maybe as a result of that) have experienced arthritis in it.

Swim workout was an easy one.   There was no main set.  I swam three 100-yard free repeats and three 100-yard backstroke repeats, then 4 50 yard kick drills (2 flutter kick, 2 back kick).   Only thing after that was some breaststroke pull out drills.   We aren't really allowed to do them the way I did them last Saturday (Friday?) night before closing time, where I pushed off and then walked back to the wall, but it was closing time and no one was going to be joining me in my lane.  This morning, I did the push off drill and then just very slowly swam breaststroke to the other end of the pool.

1000 yards in all.  

Tramps, I think your team needs a talent transplant, they are mostly old and tired... Good luck with that and the trade deadline.

Yup. They really just need to clear as much salary cap space as possible and go shopping this summer for some ready-for-prime-time talent to supplement an up-and-coming class of youngsters. It won't be pretty for awhile though.

On retirement...I'm kicking the tires on a full-blown, honest-to-goodness full-time retirement, instead of my current part-time situation. My publisher's not happy. They're pitching possible interim arrangements but I haven't heard anything I love yet. We'll see. I've always enjoyed my work. It's been an ideal set-up for me but I think I'm ready to move on and clear that head-space for other things.

Be safe. Be kind.

Ugh.  My VISA card which is linked to everything has been compromised.  Someone made a Tik Tok Inc. purchase of over $200.  Chase caught it instantly and contacted us.  There was also a $23 Chipotle Online charge that wasn’t mine.  So- new card issued and will be here in a day or two.  Now I need to change everything once it gets here.  Hasn't happened in quite awhile.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Dave59 I hear you about needing to be left and alone in the middle of programing session. Losing my train of thought can easily set me back 15 minutes or more.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/