Masters Running

Wednesdaily, 4.17.24 (Read 39 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' Masters.

Thanks for the start and your Boston recap yesterday, Deeze. Nice EZ 4 mile + SS coffee.

You've got a year to get ready for Boston, Sees-the-Ground. Meanwhile, good 4 miles.

Good 6.7 miles on the path, KSA. I hope RE is doing even better today.

Good 4 miles for you too, Holly. Sorry about the need for more dental work, but good for you for getting it done.

Nice 2K with the shopping shuttle, Tet. I think a lot of people don't plan adequately for Heartbreak Hill at Boston, nor do they prepare for the quad-tightening long downhill at the start which may become an issue on subsequent uphills. And the warm and sunny weather was nice, but a 'bonus' challenge for the racers.

Sounds like a fun 3-part ride, Doug. Yes, keeping up with the daily can sometimes be a bit of a rabbit hole, can't it?

Good gym work, pool work, and mid-day walks, BTY. I'm surprised that your 'regular' turns are faster than your flips, but good for you for testing them against each other before your meet. I hope you got your feet-up time last night.

Good 3 predawn miles and PT, Leslie, all without butt pain. I've never heard of a rod attachment for a prosthetic, but hope that it is easier and more comfortable than the conventional cup. I'm glad the attorney seems to be doing OK.

Good work on the ARC Trainer, Tomwhite, but I'm sorry about the sore back. I hope your security training goes well, and that you never have to use what you learn.

Nice 3.3 mill miles and homegrown PT, Steve. Thanks for the pics of speedster and jumpster Norah.

I wonder how bio's retirement talk with HR went.

Despite being tired, I slept poorly last night. I woke early and so got out early for 7.2 predawn RW miles. I would have rather stayed in bed, but I eventually got into the workout and stayed in focus and at a respectable pace for the last 4 miles or so. I'd be very happy if there is time for a nap today, but I'm not expecting that'll happen. So it goes...

Have a greta Wednesday.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Tramps

Glad to see Jay and deez had a good time at Boston.

Congrats on the official retirement bioguy!  Sounds like it's time.

Loved Steve's Nora pics!

I'm working this week on getting a gravel pad (with timber frame) set up for my impending mini-barn/giant garden shed build. Lots of grunt manual labor, so running and cycling is on pause until I get that done. Different kind of workout, I suppose.

But...I needed to pop in since I saw Doug's lurking...

One of the crazier end-of-season finishes I've ever seen. Round one playoff exit for sure but still, it's been fun watching a handful of banged-up old vets plus a bunch of minor leaguers auditioning for a roster slot on next year's team battle the odds. Never say never, I suppose.

Back to your regularly-scheduled daily  thread.

Be safe. Be kind.

Marathon Maniac #957

she repeatedly earned best dancer.  I hope she dose that through the rest of her life.

I hope so, too!  Go Norah!

Leslie - does that attorney have a spouse and/or family that will be there when he gets home from the hospital?  That is a LOT to adjust to, in so many ways.

DH and I are doing a 4-day weekend at the Riverwalk in San Antonio in late July.  I learned that one of my favorite comedians (Nick Bargatze) will be playing right up the street from our hotel during the weekend we are staying there.  I looked up tickets for the Saturday 4pm showing and the cheapest I found were $419 each - what?!!  Really?   Since when is it more than $400 each for matinee tickets to see a comedian?  Guess we will skip that show and catch him on YouTube instead....

4.1 miles for me today in 72 (!) degrees, ahead of the rainstorms.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

bioguy

3 miles with a friend yesterday. Mrs Bio had a varicose vein stripping procedure yesterday which she seemed to tolerate well. I was chatting on the deck with her and said, I'm going for a short run." and at that exact moment, a friend texted and said, "want to meet up for a short run?" Odd timing!

I met with the hr supervisor and looked over a description for a part time job overseeing a grant to improve teacher quality in our county. 20 hours/week for 30 weeks, pretty flexible including work from home days. I would much rather teach at a community college or just high school AP bio, but at least I think I can still manage my college lab class in the evening next fall. Six more classes and I'll have a second Master's degree and I really am enjoying that program, though it does make my brain tired.

Pictures below are from my field trip releasing our class terrapin, Turtle Swift.

Before we released it, a final mass and carapace length were recorded, and we scanned it to make sure the microchip was still in place.

Thanks, Jay.  Is sleeping poorly just a given at our older ages?   Steve- love the pictures of Nora.   Bio- sounds like you have some options.

Holly- that's ridiculous for ticket prices.  Can you call the venue directly and see if that is for real?

4.2 treadmill miles. Raining outside. It was a struggle. Long night with Robert Earl. He peed in the special shirt that covers his incision, and it was sopping. I didn't know what to do. I rinsed it out (2:30 am) and put it in the dryer. I got an old t-shirt out of the Good Will box we are donating and put it on over his back legs and pulled it up to his chest. That worked until the morning when he somehow slid it off. By then I had the real shirt back. Ugh.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Good Morning, Friends -

Hope you get some rest, Jay.

Bio - Would the PT job be instead of teaching?  Pretty cool re releasing Turtle Swift.

$400+ for a ticket to see a comedian???   And yes, Holly, he has a very supportive wife and family.  And since he grew up here, lots of friends in the area.  He loves to fish and is treating himself to a fishing trip to BC at the end of month in case he can't do that anymore - his words, not mine.  I looked him straight in the eyes and said, "You will." He kind of shrugged.  Obviously, he's still trying to wrap his head around this.  Who wouldn't be? He just looks really tired.

PT and strength training this a.m. for me.  I upped the ante on the PT exercises.  We'll see how ye ole butt handles it throughout the day.  It's been almost 3 hrs and so far so good.

Leslie
              Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Turtle Swift, love it!

Met up with my old coworkers from a previous company last night for beers. Always fun except for the one narcissist who likes to brag about her Harvard daughter, who is graduating this year and recently got into "every law school she applied to". It gets obnoxious pretty quick. I also know she has been fired from the last 3 jobs she had.

Short walk today to the library to return a book, maybe 1.3 miles total.  Team lunch in the city at noon, looking forward to it.

I am thinking of a big day hike for Friday. I would really like to do another solo overnight backpacking trip this Friday to Saturday, but I promised MBE I would be around this weekend, as he is away this week doing trail work and I am away next week for work.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

I love "Turtle Swift", too.   Almost as good of a name as Robert Earl!

My hand surgery to remove the stupid cyst is tomorrow and they say someone has to drive you home, which messes up Ken's bike ride a bit.

Mike E

MM #5615

Can you just ride home on his handlebars?

anneb

Afternoon, masters.

Loved SteveP's pics of Norah - what form!

KSA - Sorry about the issues with RE - did he just potty because he's generally a bit off from surgery? Or was it storming? Hopefully he doesn't have to deal with the shirt for too long.

We are having a strange weather day! 68 first thing, now 60, super windy, varying between overcast and sun and looking like its going to storm. I went out for 3 miles mid-morning - the wind really kicked my butt! Now just working again...

Anne

anneb

She would probably need both hands for that! 

Anne

LOL

He pees in the house about every 3rd night if I don't jump out of bed and take him out in the middle of the night.  We have pee pads and newspaper, so it's not that terrible, but I guess he forgot he had the onesie on!

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

• Jay - yikes!

I would have rather stayed in bed, . . ..

Jay - me too.

I wonder if BTY is nerdy enough about swimming as some of us, . . . I mean some runners can be about their splits, etc. for calculating his time difference between flip and open turns and multiplying by the number of turns per event for his swimming savings time.

BTY. I'm surprised that your 'regular' turns are faster than your flips, but good for you for testing them against each other before your meet.

Jay - interesting ideas about Heartbreak, especially seeing the thousands of BoP'ers walking up Heartbreak being about the most shocking revelation I may have ever had about running, or anything. Thanks.  

I think a lot of people don't plan adequately for Heartbreak Hill at Boston, nor do they prepare for the quad-tightening long downhill at the start which may become an issue on subsequent uphills. And the warm and sunny weather was nice, but a 'bonus' challenge for the racers.

Steve - my knee winced at Norah's, . . . and then I quite procrastinating and got into my daily knee bending/straightening exercises.  My favorite pic of DS remains his determination at the final corner of the grade school track in a kindergarten race on Japan's national holiday Sports Day every October 15.

Leslie - once a fishing fan, always, always, always no matter what so having other intererts should greatly help your friend attorney. My GS is even more nuts over trout fishing than I was at his age (14) so, though other factors too, he's now finishing his on line freshman year with a fish-a-morning-makes-a-smart-student (or so he says).  We'll find out when he starts going in person to the same high school building that my class of  '61 helped inaugurate in 1958, . . . and DD/DS graduated from too in 1990 andj 1991 with my mother (1939) and grandmother (1912) doing the same but, of course, not in the new building.

enke - you're on a roll I've never heard of before around here: same as your last weekend's hike'n'camp was on the best day yet of the new year, Friday's supposed to get up to seventy, if not more.  Have fun. 

ps - I think a comment to Mrs. Harvard Mother about the title of your daughter's research would put an end to that.  Maybe even add your running friend MikeE's daughter's disseration, or better yet, your research  you mentioned a while back.

Bio - neat PT op. Perfect. 

. . . carapace length were recorded, . . ..

ps Bio - me too but calipering and tagging thousands of crab out in the middle of a rolling Bering Sea even one ending up one in the state supreme court.

Holly - the Riverwalk, Alamo, etc. helped make San Antonio

one of our longer stops during our circumnavigation

of the contiguous Lower 48 in 1982.

Tamps - great survival games for the Caps.

Dave, Doug and I are really happy for you

and hope they go all the way too. 

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

But...I needed to pop in since I saw Doug's lurking...

You caught me! I'm just glad that the Wings "did what they needed to do", which was to win against the Habs even if in overtime. If they didn't want to put themselves in this position, all they would have had to do is to have won another game or two during the season! Of course, this was the first time I actually watched them this year so who am I to criticize them?

BTW, I hate to ask this but did I ever post some pics from our trip to Tucson or did I just think about it but didn't follow thru?

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Marathon Maniac #957

Roch - please post pics!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."