RA Coaching Forum

WBF's 18 weeks before 1rst Baby training. (Read 471 times)

Future running partner.

Couple of down weeks should help keep the legs fresh. I've run into this and the miles seemed to come naturally without pushing it. I like the hill workout idea as I was watching some Lydiard videos and would be interested in seeing what results you see.
    Correction for yesterday. I was planning to try to get in an easy/careful long run yesterday morning but we had some severe weather going on. That evening I could only manage to get in about an hour cause the wife doesn't like me out for that long evenings, especially now that she's prego. Yeah, I'm hoping the down weeks maybe a blessing in disguise. As far as the Lydiard style hill work goes, I'm a big fan, and have had success with them. I have over done it with them too, which is very easy to do, so you have to be real careful. I haven't found any better strength/speed training for legs. I think the reasons why they work so well, is that in one workout your working various muscle groups, in some cases to exhaustion. You start out by working the muscles required to run fast uphill. Then while these are tired you switch to working the ones for fast downhill and finish off with working what's ever left to run fast on flats. So they are similar to what weight lifters call supersets. Every time I do one of these workouts different muscles seem to get sore. Secondly, with each workout it's easy to find ways to make the workout harder. This can be done by increasing the number of sets, moving to a longer or steeper hill or what really works is to start the first hill workout with just hard uphill running, then on the second workout begin to do the uphills with bounding until form goes out the window then run the rest of the way up. On the next workout if its easy to get all the way up bounding then switch to springing. The What I typically do is start doing these workouts right after a long period of base training in order to help build the speed and strength to perform track workouts well, so I am usually pretty week on the first workout. The 3rd reason is that it makes you an efficient runner and your stride starts to feel smoother after a few of these workouts, and that's the case whether your going up, down or on the flats. I typically feel differences in about a week after doing these workouts. But my legs are usually pretty dead for a few days after the workout. These take a lot out of you so, as I said before be really careful with them.

Future running partner.

Weekly update, currently in my 3rd week of hill phase. Well once again I missed my long run last week. Last Thursday I wasn't able to fit it in because of bad weather. Then I ran a somewhat disappointing race on Saturday, so I decided to take Sunday off and just relax and enjoy the day and not think about running. Monday morning I had to push myself to get out and do my long run. I am glad I did cause I had my best long run ever. I managed to get 12 miles in under 2 hrs and maintain an avg HR of only about 73% of max. A month ago I couldn't even muster an 11min/mi pace at that kind of effort. This made me feel all better about my race. Here's how the race went: I was really thinking around 45. However it was already kind of warm and humid by the time the race started. I also didn't get a good warm up in before the start. So the first mile I felt like I was already pushing pretty hard to just hit 7:30. I then figured on shooting for sub 47. I already started feeling cotton mouth after the first mile marker. On the second mile I come to the realization then the next water stop is probably not until the 2 mile mark. I finally get to this one and I am so ready to drink. My mile split was under 7:30 so I am still good there. At this point I'm not in a crowded section, I see the runner in front of me get water. When I come up there is only 2 people at this stand one pooring the other handing out. Only the one handing out was holding an empty stack of cups. I think I actually yelled "Damn it!", as I passed by. At this point I am like f*ck! I have wait another 2 miles before I get water, and a lot of negative thoughts start poring in about how I feel and how much farther I have to go. I am able to maintain my pace for the next couple of miles. Most of the second and third mile where in well shaded neighborhoods, so I didn't feel too bad. However about halfway through the 3rd mile we turn on to a major concrete road with the sun blazing down. I started to feel really really hot at this point and was struggling. Finally I get to the water station at mile 4. I didn't even bother to check my split because all I could think about was water. I ended up walking for about a minute and let my self drink almost a full cup. The moment someone ran by my I started running again, only quite a bit slower. At this point I was telling myself to just break 50. I told myself If I don't break 50 that I'll be very disappointed after the race. So pushed on despite how bad I felt. Most of mile 5 and half of mile 6 was one long straight gradual incline through the city. Ahhhg this was miserable but I kept going. Half way through mile 6 is a big U turn and one final gradual uphill of a bout a half mile. I steadily make it up to the top. Then realize the finish is close and the worst of it is over. My pace picks up. After the last turn the final straight is about a quarter mile. I catch and pass a younger guy in front of me. But another guy slowly creeps by me. I am pushing to try and pass him back but I didn't have enough to. Still a good finish though. I see the clock is below 49 and I am relieved. After talking to a number other runners I realized that a lot of other people struggled on this one. I think if I had a better warm up, a more confident mindset and under better conditions I probably could have come close to 45. But at least I have a baseline for next time. This week may actually be 60+ mile week. I started Monday with a long run to make up for the lack of one last week. I'll finish off with one on Sunday of 15 miles so by having 2 long runs on the ends of this week my mileage will be high. I ran a very tough Lydiard style hill workout yesterday. It was the first one in a while with bounding involved. I am fairly sore today and my recovery run today was pretty slow as a result. Tomorrow will be a double starting off with a tempo run. then a real easy Saturday of 4 miles and finish off with the long run Sunday.

Future running partner.

Went to the emergency room Friday morning. I woke up with some pretty bad chest pain and it didn't feel anything like heartburn. It was more like a dull pressure like pain. I was contemplating running that morning, but the chest pain was getting any better. I ended up looking it up online and the first thing a number of websites said was to go to the emergency room because it could be a heart attack. The thought came to mind that heart attacks run in the family (my dad's side). Also, I have had hbp recently and high cholesterol. Then thoughts of Alberto Salazar and Ryan Shea came to mind. Finally the thought of my wife having to raise my some by herself really convinced me to go to ER. A few hours, a couple tablets of nitro glycerin, a few EKG's, an enzyme test and a talk to the doc suggested everything was fine. The pain subsided that after noon. After the doc applied some hand pressure to the chest area and was able to recreate the pain he determined it probably wasn't heart related. He had me do a stress test. During the stress test managed to go for 14 minutes before stopping. I am not sure what the max speed was but the incline was at it's highest at 16%. He said I set a record for this month. When my hr reached over 180 we stopped and scanned my heart. Everything appeared normal. Pulse was steady and upon looking at the heart operating at about 90% of max the beating motion was uniform all the way around. So my heart appears to be perfectly healthy. It turns out that the problem came from inflammation in my chest plate within the cartilage between my two rib cages. Probably due to sleeping on my side and my rib cages being pushed together. Also from all the coughing this week from my allergies. The doc said to take a few days off. The wife ended up forcing me to do so against my wishes. So no running occurred this weekend. Saturday my wife and I had a 4d ultrasound of our son who's due mid July. Very exciting!
        C-R

Wow! Glad everything worked out for the best. Sounds like you took the proper path on this one. Better safe than sorry as it were. Sounds like you'll be back on the road soon enough.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
          "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Prince of Fatness

Damn. That must have scared the crap out of you. I'm glad you're OK.

Not at it at all. 

Future running partner.

PR'd in my 5k last Saturday, by almost a minute, I officially ran 21:59; 21:57 Garmin Time. I may have started out too fast with a first mile split of 6:35. The first mile was mostly on a decline which was also the cause for the fast split. Well It wasn't quite as fast as I was hoping to get at this point but I'm fairly happy with it for now. Lately my training hasn't been as consistent as I would like it to be and it's been getting me frustrated. I've been trying to maintain about 50 mpw but I keep missing key workouts every week due to other priorities. Preparation for our new family arrival is taking up a lot of my time and focus so its been affecting my training to where I don't feel very confident about breaking 20 min before the end of this month. I think its about time to back off the intensity a bit and just get back to running for the sake of just enjoying the run and to not put so much pressure on myself to get in every workout.

Once the baby gets here the focus will be less on getting faster and more on dropping weight. Right now I am at about 175 which according to BMI charts is about 10 lbs. overweight for someone of my height and medium build. I think this is what's really holding me back from being able to improve to where I would like to be, or even to where I should be right now for the kind of training I'm doing. Ideally I would like to get to about 145 lbs over the course of the next year. The weight alone should allow me to run about a minute per mile faster then what I am doing now. In training this would allow me to cover more mileage in the same amount of time which will also result in faster race times. The plan is to use an online calorie counter and just try to make healthier, nutrient rich diet choices, while maintaining about 25-35 miles a week. Eventually once I get used to a new daily routine with the baby and my weight gets to where I think it should be I'll get back to more serious training again.

Future running partner.

message deleted.