RA Coaching Forum

Tom's Journal (Read 596 times)

Future running partner.

The goals I set for myself are 3 separate possibilities. the easiest one is sort of a minimum standard. The second one is a very tough but I think attainable goal. The hardest one, may not be possible, but sometimes we surprise ourselves. I am not to concerned about peaking early or too late right now. Actually the reason for the long peak season is to learn how long I can hold a peak for. So if I notice my peak racing times starting to slow down earlier, then I'll probably stop, go through a recovery period and restart base training.

Oh Mighty Wing

hmm seems smart. I'm excited to see how it goes for you!

Future running partner.

This week the plan is to run about 27-29 miles of all very easy effort runs to get back into the swing of things.
        Upgrading this week to a 40 mile week by ramping up to an 11 mile run on Friday. Then next week will be one more week of base at 54 miles before I start a new phase of training. Since I've been keeping the intensity lower, I've recovered from the race pretty quickly since Saturday. I feel no fatigue and my legs are feeling really good. The original plan for the week just felt way too easy for how I am feeling. I also misjudged how many weeks I had before starting the next phase. So a steeper ramp-up to target mileage is needed.

Future running partner.

Schedule change: Decided to run a hill phase first, then do the stamina phase 2nd. In the speed and tapering phase, in place of the AC 200/200 workout I plan on running a lydiard type of hill workout. That includes this: Warmup a mile, 1 set would include: Up to .2 mile uphill plyometrics as far as I can go then skip up. A 200/200/200 jog/sprint/jog at the top. A fast stride down the same hill. Then a final 200/200/200 jog sprint jog at the bottom. Then repeat each set 2 to 4 times. Then cool down until the total workout is 8 miles.

Future running partner.

Competed 34 miles this week. I missed a medium long 11 miler yesterday but maid up some of it with a 5 miler today. So I didn't make 40 as planned. I think its ok thought since I am still just coming back after a tough marathon. Next week I'll be at full mileage of easy running. It may or may not be my final week of base training depending on if I feel i've lost some aerobic conditioning since the marathon. I plan on using a decoupling test on my 15 miler tomorrow and on another 11 miler later in the week.

Future running partner.

15 miler today. Felt better during the last 3 miles then I did for most of the run. My pace picked up pretty dramaticly on the last 3 but my HR didn't increase that much, hmmmmm. Overall the run was fairly slow for the avg hr though. I am really starting to see how diet makes a major impact on Low Heart Rate training. Last night while watching a UFC pay per view I ate about a dozen wings and a big plate of fries at about 11 pm. This morning it was apparent that I was still digesting that food, by the heart burn I was feeling during the run. It wasn't until near the end that I started feeling pretty good. I did have a good decoupling % of about 2% for the entire run. If I am feeling strong at the end of this week of 54 miles. I'll start my hill phase.

Future running partner.

Just completed my final week of base training. Finishing the week at over 54 miles. Overall the week was very slow, but finished great. The last 3 days I decided to try and keep HR below 148 instead of 144 and it felt really good. I did a lot more stretching this week and I had a good sessions of strides on Tuesday and today. I think the strides or lack there of, has been the main cause of my pace/hr deteriorating the last couple of months. Monday the strides felt much more awkward than they used to. I wasn't able to run nearly as fast and hard as I used to while staying smooth and controlled. Today all of a sudden pace/hr jumped back up dramaticly. The last month or 2 my paces have been in the low 11's for HR's in the low 140s. Today I ran a 10:24 avg with a avg HR of 145. I felt much stronger and faster on the downhills but my effort was exactly the same. This coming week begins my 4 week hill phase. I am expecting to run about 50 miles, with a long tomorrow of 15Correction, taking a cut back week this week expecting about 40 miles with a 12 mile long run, a 7 mile hill workout on tuesday, on Friday a 2hr AeT run or a LT test and four of fivethree 4 mile recovery/easy runs in between.

Future running partner.

Week 1 of hill phase completed. First hill workout was a success. THe hill I run is on about an 8th of a mile hill. After about a mile warmup I did 8 repetitions of a hard run up, and easy jog at the top to recover, then a hard run down and another recovery jog at the bottom. Using a pace calculator from Jack Daniels Running Formula, my predicted pace for the fast secions would have averaged about a minute each rep. Right on the first rep, I ran very smooth and was surprised to see a 45 sec. first uphill rep. I slowed down some, since it was the first hill workout. I still avged about 45 seconds per fast secion when averaging uphills and downhills. Pretty good for the lack of speed training I've had for the past 4 months. The rest of the week was lower mileage of easy runs, including a 9 miler at faster aerobic effort. For next week I am back up to 50 miles. The long run will be 15. This weeks hill workout will be the same but with 10 reps. Fridays AeT run will be 12 miles and there will be an am run of 4 easy miles the day of the hill workout.

Future running partner.

AHHHHH this SUCKS.... Sad I ran my long run on Monday since I had an extra day off and the DW had to work. So I was able to run at the park for a long while with out guilt. I ran 15 miles at what felt like maximum AeT pace. I noticed my leg speed was much better so on the down hills I actually had to open it up a lot more to keep the HR high enough to be a reasonable effort. Even though the run was on a natural surface some of the down hill sections are really steep. Hind site now tells me I should have eased up on these sections and been more careful Black eye. I finished the last mile in about 9:30 with a hr around 160 and while still maintaining easy breath/effort. I also noticed that when I ran the numbers for the last 2 hrs of the run, my pace/hr was actually better then the middle hour. So even at a faster pace and higher aerobic hr, I am in very good aerobic shape Smile. When I got back to the car and grabbed my key from the wheel well, I noticed I put my wife's car key in there. Angry I ended up having to run another 1.3 to the nearest fast food joint. Where I was able to call AAA. Because of all this I wasn't able to have a proper cooldown and stretch. I also wasn't able to eat right away after my run. The next morning the plan was to run a recovery 3 or 4 miles. I got up and all my joints where kind of sore. Even though the effort and pace was really low for the run, it felt terrible. Most of the soreness went away except for my left knee. I decided to only do 3. While sitting around at work I noticed my knee would get really sore to the point were I am almost limping. I stretched my hammies and iced my knee last night. This morning it's not much better. I was supposed to do a double today with a hill workout tonight, but it's not happening. I plan to keep icing it and stretching hopefully it will go away soon so I can resume training again with out loosing conditioning. Confused

Future running partner.

Knee is feeling better today, but I still notice a slight twinge when walking down stairs. I think I may try and do a test run this evening. I'll probably start with just a mile in the neighborhood. If it goes well I'll extend the run up to 5 miles at recovery pace. If this goes well, tomorrow I'll try to get my hill workout in. Since this is the primary workout for this phase of training I really want to avoid missing this workout, otherwise I may have to extend this phase to 5 weeks instead of 4. If I do the hill workout, I plan to modify it so that the only hard running I'll be doing will be uphill and I'll use the downhill sections as very careful recovery jogs or even walks if the knee starts bothering me.

Future running partner.

Tried the test run last night. Despite my knee feeling good yesterday, a little over a mile into my run I could start to feel it again. I am sure I could have finished the run, but I didn't want to take any chances. So I am going to take another day off tomorrow and try another test run on Saturday. Do you think there is anything wrong with trying these little test runs every couple of days as my knee starts to feel better? My fear is of course that I could aggrevate this minor injury into something much worse, but at the same time I hate missing training because of fear that I may lose conditioning, due to inconsistency. I always have a hard time dealing with these kind of events. I feel like it kind of throws a monkey wrench into my system/plan.

Future running partner.

Finished last week off at about only 30 miles. I was able to get in a 5+ miler on Saturday w/o any issues. The three days off is what I needed for the knee. This week my hill workout will only have hard uphills and slow downhills. Just to keep the knees safe. Next week I may start to do some fast downhill running but just not as much. Perhaps slowly build it up. Goal this week is 50 miles starting with a long Aet run which I did yesterday. It felt good to go a little faster. Tomorrow will be a double with a hill workout. Then a few easy days. Finishing with a 5k race Saturday. I updated my schedule so that the hills phase goes for 1 more week since I missed last weeks hill session. Also next week instead of hills will be a 200/200 reps session.
                          btb1490

Tom, I'm impressed with where you are now compared to where you were not too long ago. Well done! Be careful with that knee, especially with the hill work you are doing. Good luck with the 5k this weekend.

Future running partner.

Tom, I'm impressed with where you are now compared to where you were not too long ago. Well done! Be careful with that knee, especially with the hill work you are doing. Good luck with the 5k this weekend.
                              Thank you for the encouragement Bob! I think the knee thing was actually a blessing. When I did the hill workout last week, instead of running hard up, then hard down 10 times, I just tried to run hard up 20 times. This made the workout much harder than I expected it to. On the thirteenth repetition I started to lose form and my legs were really burning, so I ended the hill session there and just finished off with a slow 3 mi to complete the scheduled mileage. My knee didn't bother me at all but I was pretty muscularly (is that a word?) sore all over my legs. Saturday's race went really well. Since I just came off a really long period of slow easy base training and only had 2 hill workouts for speed so far, I wasn't expecting anything real stellar. I was just hoping to finish on par with my last 8k race I ran at the end of last spring season. Hoping to break 24 min and not really knowing how to pace for a 5k I started out pretty hard running the first mile in 7:20. For the second mile I focused on trying to maintain speed but more relaxed and ran a 7:40. On the third mile I was still feeling pretty strong and started to push it again. On the final straight I noticed the finish clock was still well in the 22s and thought I may be able to break 23. With a hard push at the finish my official time was 22:57. On my watch it came to 22:55 cause it took me a couple of secs to get the start line. Granted that there was only 86 people in the race I thought I had a good chance of placing. When I looked at the results I noticed that the guy who one overall was in my age group. I think he finished somewhere in the 18's. As I looked further down the list the next 30 - 34 year old male was 10th overall I scanned over to the name and there I was. It was my first first place age group finish since I was in high school! Big grin I feel I have a lot of improvement still to come by this spring. When I ran this race I felt rough during the run but afterward I recovered very quickly. With out any tempo or interval training yet, I likely don't have much of an anaerobic buffer yet. It was also only about 32 degrees during the race. I still think it's possible I may be able to go sub 20 this spring the way things are going.

Future running partner.

Looking back at my extended long base phase (6 months) it looks like my peak fitness there was about after 4 to 5 months. After that my efficiency started to go down, illustrated by how my pace/hr started to get slower after that. However my endurance improved. During that time period my decoupling % improved as the pace/hr got slower. I think my next training cycle after this sprint will have a reduced base period of about 16 to 18 weeks. I'll probably monitor how my pace/hr is reacting and when I notice a consistent reduction while still feeling good I will switch into a new phase.