Running Readers

No Finish Line: My Life As I See It (Read 433 times)

Running safely

This is the autobiography of Marla Runyun. Among her list of accomplishments as a runner are participation in 2 Olympic games (only 1 as of the writing of the book). She currently holds the 5000 meter indoor track world record. She ran competitive hurdles and competed in the heptathlon. All of which is amazing to be sure. What is more amazing is when you learn that she is blind! She really tries to downplay her blindness in every day life. If you met her today (from what I have read about her) she certainly does not make a big deal of it and chooses to focus on the fact that she is an athlete primarily. But, I am glad that she got into the whole story of her blindness within the book. Her blindness is caused by Stargardt’s disease, for which there is no cure. She has some peripheral vision, though it is not even good enough with which to read. I had previously written a review of this book at my website if you want to read my whole review. At the website I was trying to convince non runners that it was a good book, so the review takes a bit of a different feel there. I think the beauty of this book is mainly because of the co-author. I have read one other book co-authored by Sally Jenkins, she does a great job in pulling out the story from the subject. You won't be disappointed.