Running Readers

Run Less, Run Faster - Pierce, Murr, Moss/ Furman Institute/ May 2007 (Read 829 times)

so i'd read about the Furman Institute a couple of times here and there (most notably in RW), and finally picked it up on amazon this spring. i've since lent it out and of course not gotten it back (have another on order!), so i can't cite specific passages or pages... but can tell you the following: the focus their strategy is marathon (or other distance) training not based on high mileage through 4+ runs per week, but on moderate mileage achieved through only 3 runs per week. BUT... the three runs are INTENSE, and are accompanied by two mandatory cross-training sessions per week. supporting the focus - the book begins by defending the notion that you can prepare adequately for a marathon without running as many miles as recommended by most other training programs with philosophical arguments (discussion around injury, etc) and statistics of their own participants' successes (impressive, though i don't recall specifics). - the emphasize the importance of understanding that while improvement is pretty much a sure thing, you have to have reasonable, fair & realistic ideas of what "success" means to someone at your level of fitness and your age. - tables and tables and tables to help you figure out what reasonable, fair & realistic goals are for a runner at your level of fitness (based on recent race times) and age (based on common age-grade calculations). seriously, the tables are amazing and, i feel, incredibly helpful. they are what i miss most. - the prescription for key runs. once you establish your goals, the book helps you to make a training prescription for yourself. the training program is based on 3 key runs: the weekly tempo run, the weekly track/speed workout, and the weekly long run. based on where you fall in the fitness/age tables, the book prescribes a specific mileage and intensity/pace for each of these runs, and urges you to be as CONSISTENT AS POSSIBLE throughout each run. ie., on a track repeat workout, it urges you to keep within 1-2 (i think) seconds for each repeat. the reasons are explored in greater depth in the book, obviously, but in summary, it's to make sure you're running at the prescribed intensity for that workout (and also to help you get a feel for your pacing, etc). - the prescription for cross-training. the book discusses several different cross-training options, but if i remember correctly, b/c most runners tend to use swimming and/or cycling as cross-training activities, i seem to remember that the prescriptions are geared most specifically to those two sports, with suggestions as to how to apply the prescribed intensity to other activities as well. the emphasized point is to DO THEM and to consider them essential to your success, instead of just "extra". it's a quick read (i read it on a plane ride between nj and ca) and interesting. i recommend it to any runner, especially anyone who runs competitively-- even if you decide you'd rather follow a different training program or philosophy, it's still an interesting concept to consider. after discussing it w/ a running friend who'd picked it up also, we're both going to adopt similar programs for ourselves this fall and see what happens.
      I haven't read the book but I am well aware of the theory. It seems to work, which is great for folks who might be more prone to overuse injuries such as shin splints and the like.
        EXACTLY. it makes a *lot* of sense for people who have a history of overuse injuries and i guess also for people who want to run a marathon, feel they CAN run a marathon, but have trouble getting all the training hours in when their program relies on 4 or 5 days of running. again, they do stress the importance of those additional two cross-training days, so there's still a heavy time commitment.
        zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

That's really interesting. Makes me really wish I had a road bike to give that a try. I know somebody who likes to bike quite a bit... Wink k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Along for the Ride

Interesting. I might order that book from Amazon. Right now I am following a training plan for a Half marathon from Runnersworld.com. You plug in your last race time (5k), your current weekly mileage and it comes up with a training schedule. I noticed that I am mostly running 3 days a week. One easy run, one speedworkout/tempo run one long run. Later in the plan there are some 4 run weeks. The other days are cross/rest. I am giving this a shot and see if I can PR my Half Marathon time this fall. So far I noticed that my runs are *real* quality workouts. No junk miles. Legs are fresh for the tempo runs and long runs. Easy run is fun. I am looking forward to more cross training. Swimming, maybe a spin class, yoga and weights. Time is also a factor having a full time job, a house and trying to keep up with everything. My overall goal is to run a marathon in the 85 age group in 2057, with my grandkids cheering me on from the sidelines. Wink Meaning - I want to stay healthy and in running shape for a long time. After my back injury last year my doc told me to only run 3 days a week and cross train a lot. Keep the pounding to a minimum. And keep up with the core strength. Running like that I could (according to him) enjoy more quality running years. I don't think he was BS'ing me, he is a sports doc - but also a runner with a "bad back". Long story short - if this training program with 3 runs a week allows me to PR, more power to it!

Your living is determined not so much by what life brings to you as by the attitude you bring to life; not so much by what happens to you as by the way your mind looks at what happens.

Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars.

runnergabe, definitely check it out! i don't have a marathon in the cards for this year, but it does (and i can't believe i left this out of my initial summary) make suggestions for half-marathons as well (which i DO have in the cards, though i'm not following the FIRST program to a T for this one-- i'm actually sort of combining the runner's world smartcoach suggestions w/ the cross-training suggestions from FIRST).
                The only problem with this is that all 3 workouts are hard effort - if the only running you ever do is hard effort, for me it would take away from some of the enjoyment of running. I know a couple who are using this plan - they are experienced iron triathletes - they tell me running just 3 hard runs/week is a real challenge and takes a lot of focus to maintain the prescribed goals for each run. BUT - it all depends on what your objective is with your running. Sometimes, I just like to go out and run and not focus on anything at all Smile

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
                Thyroid Support Group

Along for the Ride

I think we all have our own thoughts on this. And our bodies react differently to training. And last but not least we have different goals. Another example: Just talked to a friend who is a very talented runner. She's ran Boston twice, ran a 1:35 HM this spring and runs Ultras now. She has been running since college and has NEVER had a overuse injury (she is 39 now). But she also doesn't run every day. She averages 20 mile weeks. She likes having a goal for every run and not putting in "junk miles". She is very active otherwise (soccer etc.). I find myself leaning towards the same school of thought. If I run every day, my aches and pains are acting up. I get mentally tired too, running every day becomes a chore. Running low mileage still gives me time for fun runs. I personally really enjoy my long runs. The pace is comfortable enough to enjoy the surroundings. The tempo runs are fun too. I find it very rewarding to meet my pace goal and accomplish my goal. My friends quote this morning was "if I aim towards 100 mile weeks, I better get paid for the running and try to get into the olympic trials." Again, I think we are all different. I enjoy cross training a lot and want to have time for that too. Then there is my life and my job. And this is not to judge what anybody else is doing - just my thoughts. I will try this approach and so far it is working for me. The race results will tell the whole story. I'll keep you posted. Smile

Your living is determined not so much by what life brings to you as by the attitude you bring to life; not so much by what happens to you as by the way your mind looks at what happens.

Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars.