Running Readers

What Book Are You Reading Right Now? (Read 1345 times)

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

Just finished, "Executive Intent" nice fast trash read, followed by "Born to Run" a really great read. I enjoyed it. Just stating "Dirty Work" by Larry Brown about two wounded Vietnam vets in side by side beds in the same room.

bob e v
    2014 goals: keep on running! Is there anything more than that?

Complete the last 3 races in the Austin Distance Challenge, Rogue 30k, 3M Half, Austin Full

Break the 1000 mi barrier!

History: blessed heart attack 3/15/2008; c25k july 2008 first 5k 10/26/2008 on 62nd birthday.

salty

Just finished Under the Dome by Stephen King. A clear dome covers a city, trapping it like a life-sized snow globe. Power hunger city councilor wreaks havoc in a misguided power grab. Drifter vet tries to find the cause and limit the damage a stir crazy town inflicts on itself. Fun read, and as quick as a 1,000-page novel can possibly be. If you like Stephen King, this is one of his good ones, IMO.

Now reading Fargo Rock City by Chuck Klosterman, which is a history of ‘80s metal music as experienced by a pimpled teen on the North Dakota prairie:

"Clearly, I was always ready to rock - but I needed the hair. I didn’t care if it was blond and severe like Vince Neil’s or black and explosive like Nikki Sixx’s - I just needed more of it. It would have been my singular conduit to greatness, and it was the only part of my life that had a hope of mirroring the world of the Crüe."

"It's such a fine line between stupid, and uh..."

"Clever."

"Yeah, and clever."

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

I'm reading Malcom Gladwell's What the Dog Saw. I'm not enjoying it as much as his other stuff. (I think Outliers was the best of his books so far.) 

I've got Once a Runner on hold at the library and haven't had a chance to run over there yet. It kept coming up on my Amazon recommendations. Is it a good read?

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

It is.

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

Just finished Under the Dome by Stephen King. A clear dome covers a city, trapping it like a life-sized snow globe. Power hunger city councilor wreaks havoc in a misguided power grab. Drifter vet tries to find the cause and limit the damage a stir crazy town inflicts on itself. Fun read, and as quick as a 1,000-page novel can possibly be. If you like Stephen King, this is one of his good ones, IMO.

I too enjoyed Under the Dome 

bob e v

Complete the last 3 races in the Austin Distance Challenge, Rogue 30k, 3M Half, Austin Full

History: blessed heart attack 3/15/2008; c25k july 2008 first 5k 10/26/2008 on 62nd birthday.

stfuandrun

Lush Extraordinaire

I am now reading The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks. So far, it's great.

5k - 23:30

10k - 49:00

Half - 1:48:34

Full - 4:01:28

Working toward hip nirvana.

sluggo

John

I am now reading The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks. So far, it's great.

Thanks for posting this! I remember reading the book review and thinking that it sounded good and then I forgot about it. I just finished asking my library to HOLD it for me.

For anyone unfamiliar the Washington Post book review says, in part:

In the words of Lacks's youngest daughter, Deborah: "If our mother cells done so much for medicine, how come her family can't afford to see no doctors?"

and

"Immortal Life" reads like a novel. The prose is unadorned, crisp and transparent.

Sounds good to me!

Half Marathon tomorrow with rain nearly certain for the entire race. I'd prefer to NOT run in the rain!

John
                www.wickedrunningclub.com

In the beginning, the universe was created.This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

--- Douglas Adams, in "The Restaurant at the End of the Universe"

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

Started "A Game of Thrones", picked up the 4 book set after getting hooked by SIL on the HBO program.

btw: Have listened to many podcasts with the author of "The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks". The details of how she came upon and wrote the story are worth a book all to itself if not included in this book. Will have to pick it up for a future read.

bob e v

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Started "A Game of Thrones", picked up the 4 book set after getting hooked by SIL on the HBO program.

btw: Have listened to many podcasts with the author of "The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks". The details of how she came upon and wrote the story are worth a book all to itself if not included in this book. Will have to pick it up for a future read.

The fifth book is supposed to come out this summer, but Martin has pushed it off before so we'll see what happens.

I finished Once a Runner. I didn't enjoy it as much as some of the other running books I've read (Marathon Woman, Born to Run, Ultramarathon Man). Now I'm on to The Forgotten Garden (Kate Morton) which really jumps around A TON swinging anywhere from 1897 to 2005 between four or five characters. It's a bit much headhopping.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

sluggo

John

Has anyone read "The Help" by Kathryn Stockett?

I am approaching the end and it is great! The setting is Jackson, MS in the early/mid 60's when civil rights were becoming a big issue. Many of the  main characters are the maids who took care of the white families.

One of the best books I have read in a while.

John
                      www.wickedrunningclub.com

In the beginning, the universe was created.This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

--- Douglas Adams, in "The Restaurant at the End of the Universe"

BostonRnr

I loved "The Help" too! It was one of those books that you hoped would never end. 

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Just finished Little Princes by Conor Grennan. Really good! True story about a guy who goes to volunteer at a Nepali orphanage and ends up helping trafficked children. It's like a much better version of helping poor kids than Three Cups of Tea. (I've read both. Skip Tea. It's been half discredited already.)

Now I'm reading The Elegance of the Hedgehog (Muriel Barbery). It's translated from French. I'm not sure what I think of it yet.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Now I'm reading The Elegance of the Hedgehog (Muriel Barbery). It's translated from French. I'm not sure what I think of it yet.

I'll be interested to hear what you think.  I have that on audio, and tried listening to it but got bored.  Of course I was running on a treadmill while listening at the time, that was probably part of it.

Michelle

I recently finished Outliers and How We Decide

I'm about to start Where's My Jetpack?

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Michelle, I finished Hedgehog only because the Japanese guy who moves in about halfway through the book is interesting and the end of the book pissed me off.

NaderAlfie, what did you think of Outliers?

Now I'm reading The Sixth Man (David Baldacci) which is a Sean King-Michelle Maxwell novel (the fourth one, I think). It's pretty good so far. I really like his stuff except for the Camel Club books (aka Tin Foil Hat Brigade stuff).

Half Fanatic #9292.