Ultra Runners

February 2022 Ultra Training Thread (Read 23 times)

Running Problem

Problem Child

Last mile was a 7:30.

I saw this on Strava and thought 'WHAT THE FUCK?!?!!" Dude, that was awesome!

cc glad you stopped when an old injury starting coming back. I'm stubborn and would just run through the pain until a point of probably causing MORE damage in the future.

a smith best of luck staying ahead of cutoffs. Just think about some crazy guy chasing you out of aid stations like the local parks.

QOTD I literally "just figure it out" in the moment. Typically I'll stop if I get cramps. I don't know the last time I had them. If I did it was probably stomach related and I'll usually start having conversations with body parts and make negotiations after begging. No I'm not joking.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

berylrunner

Rick

Krash.  Sub 15.  Incredible.  Congrats.

My experience with cramping.

1.  Undertrained (not enough miles or vert)

2.  Too fast of pace.

3.  Lack of variety

4.  Heat and poor hydrating

12-23  Last One Standing  -  Finished 102 miles

2- 24 Grandmaster 100 - 22:32, 1st place

4-24. Cappy's Backyard - 17 yards, 1st place

5-24  Bryce 100 - 29:38, 18th place

Duke of the Internet

Krash.  Sub 15.  Incredible.  Congrats.

My experience with cramping.

1.  Undertrained (not enough miles or vert)

2.  Too fast of pace.

3.  Lack of variety

4.  Heat and poor hydrating

Yeah, I normally notice #2 for people in longer races.  They claim its the heat or food but it's normally due to going out at a pace that is unachievable.  I learned this lesson, like most people do, in the first year or two of running.

Running Problem

Problem Child

I've learned about going out too fast in every ultra I've done. I'm hoping to stop with this upcoming one. I have convinced myself it's because I've approached the others as "yeah it's long, but there is hiking and it's just whatever pace you want to go." This one I've kind of tried to treat as a race by running hills and targeting elevation instead of just total weekly mileage. My running buddy is doing the same race and said I could probably get under 5 hours. When this whole thing started I was thinking 5:30 was fast and 5:00 was super fast.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

nOOky

Busy month, at work, and for exercising. I continue my training by throwing in a variety including hiking, fat biking, long walks, and running. I can't just run for too long, I get really bored of doing the same thing over and over. I cracked a rib so strength training and core has been on hold for a few weeks, those suckers take forever to heal it's still noticeable when I finish a run or get up in the morning.

As for cramps, I suspect it's mostly due to an imbalance of hydration and trying to run faster than your training allows. I cannot remember ever having a cramp in the winter, but in the summer definitely. I used to carry a Hammer gel flask full of sweet pickle juice when I race long mountain bike races, the theory was that it shocked the electrolyte balance lol but it really did help.

My Feb. stats this will be from 26 days with only two days completely off.

Activities 55
            Total Distance 294.07 mi
            Total Activity Time 67:38:58 h:m:s
            Activity Calories 35,279
            Total Elev Gain 34,333 ft
            Average Speed 4.3 mph
            Average Heart Rate 111 bpm
            Average Run Cadence 114 spm

Istria 110k 4-6-2024

WS100 6-29-2024

UTMB 171k 8-30-2024

MCM 10-27-2024

Duke of the Internet

Busy month, at work, and for exercising. I continue my training by throwing in a variety including hiking, fat biking, long walks, and running. I can't just run for too long, I get really bored of doing the same thing over and over. I cracked a rib so strength training and core has been on hold for a few weeks, those suckers take forever to heal it's still noticeable when I finish a run or get up in the morning.

As for cramps, I suspect it's mostly due to an imbalance of hydration and trying to run faster than your training allows. I cannot remember ever having a cramp in the winter, but in the summer definitely. I used to carry a Hammer gel flask full of sweet pickle juice when I race long mountain bike races, the theory was that it shocked the electrolyte balance lol but it really did help.

My Feb. stats this will be from 26 days with only two days completely off.

Activities 55
              Total Distance 294.07 mi
              Total Activity Time 67:38:58 h:m:s
              Activity Calories 35,279
              Total Elev Gain 34,333 ft
              Average Speed 4.3 mph
              Average Heart Rate 111 bpm
              Average Run Cadence 114 spm

That's a lot of climbing.  Well done.  I think my YTD is only around 37K.  You are killing it.

How high are you up on the WS waitlist?  I'm not sure how optimistic I should be of my chances since only five people have dropped and tomorrow is already March.  I have done R2R2R and Ice Age 50.  Looks like you have a great line up there.

Pain is my friend

I am back to running. My first run sucked. Everything hurt and was tight. The next run was better. Got in 12.8 miles last week. Going to take it easy for one more week before stepping back up to 60 miles a week.

ATY 24   141.445 2019 1st

Bear 100 22:08 2021 

Jackpot 100 Feb 14:59 - 5th

Pulse endurance 48 hr 175.3 miles

Bonnevile Backyard ultra 

Ute 100 Aug

24 hour loop race?

nOOky

That's a lot of climbing.  Well done.  I think my YTD is only around 37K.  You are killing it.

How high are you up on the WS waitlist?  I'm not sure how optimistic I should be of my chances since only five people have dropped and tomorrow is already March.  I have done R2R2R and Ice Age 50.  Looks like you have a great line up there.

I have 35 runners ahead of me on the wait list. At some point I will have to decide if I cancel my travel plans and find another race as a tune up for TDS. Something in Utah at elevation would be nice in June or July.

Istria 110k 4-6-2024

WS100 6-29-2024

UTMB 171k 8-30-2024

MCM 10-27-2024

Duke of the Internet

I have 35 runners ahead of me on the wait list. At some point I will have to decide if I cancel my travel plans and find another race as a tune up for TDS. Something in Utah at elevation would be nice in June or July.

I have 23 in front of me.  I booked all of my travel as well for me and the DW.  In the past we would have both been in.  Now I just don't know.

Duke of the Internet

210.3 miles for the month.  22,900 feet of climbing.  This week will be light as I have old pueblo 50 miler on Saturday.  Weather looks pretty good but very windy in the afternoon.  I may need to consider a buff and sunglasses

Pain is my friend

Ya come to Utah. If I am around I can help crew if needed.

Squaw peak 50  June 11

Logan peak 28 miler Jun 18

Twisted fork 64k  June 25

Speedgoat 50k July 23

Tushurs marathon 70k 100k July 30

ATY 24   141.445 2019 1st

Bear 100 22:08 2021 

Jackpot 100 Feb 14:59 - 5th

Pulse endurance 48 hr 175.3 miles

Bonnevile Backyard ultra 

Ute 100 Aug

24 hour loop race?