Ultra Runners

May 2024 Ultra Training Thread (Read 18 times)

Pain is my friend

Best up luck this weekend. I love that long out and back section of the 100 miler. So beautiful. Is there too much snow out there?

Alan, I quoted you, but it posted before my reply.

I was going to recommend Grandmaster Ultras.  A race specifically for geezers.  Although the 60+ crowd looks at the 50 year olds as the young bucks.  Course isn't that great but it was fun to actually race with a chance of podium.  A whole different perspective.

ATY 24   141.445 2019 1st

Bear 100 22:08 2021 

Jackpot 100 Feb 14:59 - 5th

Pulse endurance 48 hr 175.3 miles

Bonnevile Backyard ultra 

Ute 100 Aug

24 hour loop race?

berylrunner

Rick

Thanks Krash.  Yes, too much snow and mud.

12-23  Last One Standing  -  Finished 102 miles

2- 24 Grandmaster 100 - 22:32, 1st place

4-24. Cappy's Backyard - 17 yards, 1st place

5-24  Bryce 100 - 29:38, 18th place

a smith

king of the non-sequitur

I can’t think of any races around here that give separate Masters awards, just AG awards.  The more imaginative AG awards are coasters and fridge magnets. I say thanks but no thanks to more medals. 

Beryl, have a good race this weekend!

AG's are even better! my friend who drove to the race last weekend is almost 70 and he pointed out the massive difference even every 5 years but also that would put him alone on the podium. if you are the last survivor who is left to give congrats?

GL Beryl! Im sure farm work is a good substitute for training!

Bridle Trails 50k 1-13-24 5:39

Cottontail 6 Hour 4-13-24

Cougar Long Series (May,June,July,Aug 2024)

Carkeek 6 Hour 10-19-24 

Running Problem

Problem Child

9th place.  I got passed at mile 47 while I was in the aid and couldn’t catch up. 
          no mention of age group. I was given a stainless steal flask/water bottle.  It has the western states course on it. 

my goal was 9:50. UltraSignUp said I could do a 9:48. I was pretty sure this was impossible or would only happen on a perfect day. Weather was 80 degrees, and the race director (John Trent) said it wasn’t a day for PRs.

https://strava.app.link/6EqOgCwiIJb

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Nice job RunningProblem!  Top ten and blowing your goal out of the water is a good day's work.

I'm going to do some TRT recon on Friday.  I haven't done the race since they moved the S/F to Carson City.  Just going to go out and back for a few miles on that first hill.  I hear it's a doozy.

6/9/24 Cinderella Trail Run 50k, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

a smith

king of the non-sequitur

Wow Scott, 9k vert over 50 miles 9:18! ...superlatives all around! hope you recover well, that last ten mile descent looks like it's a thing

Carkeek 6 Hour 10-19-24 

Running Problem

Problem Child

Nice job RunningProblem!  Top ten and blowing your goal out of the water is a good day's work.

I'm going to do some TRT recon on Friday.  I haven't done the race since they moved the S/F to Carson City.  Just going to go out and back for a few miles on that first hill.  I hear it's a doozy.

It is for sure. It’s a long exposed uphill section with some sand. When you get into the trees it keeps going.  
                I would be prepared for mud when you see an open marsh field with green and can see the summit. After that it’s a rocky road up to the top. 

a smith I’m better at downhill than uphill. It isn’t ALL downhill but at least 95% downhill. I had to push through some hard spots and stopped at an aid station to settle down.  The small climb out really hurt me and I’m torn between ‘was stopping the right thing’ and ‘how much worse would it have been?’  Still happy with everything

recovery is great apparently. One ankle must have rolled or done something funky. It is annoyingly in pain otherwise I could do some light jogging. The ankle says ‘no running’. 
                I had a friend tell me to keep trying for Trt. He knows my situation. I know I wouldn’t go sub-24 which is fine. I just don’t know if I want to suffer that long anymore.  ðŸ˜‚

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Pain is my friend

Awesome job. You rocked it. You are well on your way to finish your 100 miler.

9th place.  I got passed at mile 47 while I was in the aid and couldn’t catch up. 
                  no mention of age group. I was given a stainless steal flask/water bottle.  It has the western states course on it. 

my goal was 9:50. UltraSignUp said I could do a 9:48. I was pretty sure this was impossible or would only happen on a perfect day. Weather was 80 degrees, and the race director (John Trent) said it wasn’t a day for PRs.

https://strava.app.link/6EqOgCwiIJb

Bonnevile Backyard ultra 

Ute 100 Aug

24 hour loop race?

berylrunner

Rick

Congrats Running Problem.  Great time.

berylrunner

Rick

Bryce went well.  Finished 29:38, 18th place.  About an hour past my pace chart.  I lost some time during the night with lack of energy.  Short on calories and no training caught me.  Weather was great.  Day was warm, but manageable.  Night was cold, but manageable.  Trails were completely dry.  A lot of fine dust in the lungs and shoes.  Logistics were perfect.  Right gear in the correct spots.  Only mystery is a missing sun hat.  I made due with a visor and cool towel.  I burned a lot of time at aid stations with extra body maintenance., and that was a good call.  Zero chaffing this race.  Worse problem was very sore feet and blisters.

Race was put on well.  Good marking, well stocked aid, water stations in good places.

One problem was a bib mix up, so I was listed as a dnf on the computer.  That made me miss my pacer, but my fault because I don't run with a phone.  I borrowed a phone and sent out a text when she wasn't at the aid station.  She was able to catch me later.  It was a big boost to have the company.  The trail got pretty lonely.  Over half the runners dropped.

My 9th 100 mile finish.  Need to pick a good one for my 10th.  Ouray, Ute, Bear, Monster?

Pain is my friend

How did the two 50 mile loops feel? I have run Bryce 100 with out pacers. Wish I had one. Awesome job. Sounds like you executed a great races. Having everything go your way is a rare thing. That high altitude running is hard. You feel good for the first 80 and then feel it. The last time I ran Bryce I did a ton of running at that altitude.

Come run Ute with me. I am running the whole thing with a buddy. We hope to be sub 30 hours.

Bryce went well.  Finished 29:38, 18th place.  About an hour past my pace chart.  I lost some time during the night with lack of energy.  Short on calories and no training caught me.  Weather was great.  Day was warm, but manageable.  Night was cold, but manageable.  Trails were completely dry.  A lot of fine dust in the lungs and shoes.  Logistics were perfect.  Right gear in the correct spots.  Only mystery is a missing sun hat.  I made due with a visor and cool towel.  I burned a lot of time at aid stations with extra body maintenance., and that was a good call.  Zero chaffing this race.  Worse problem was very sore feet and blisters.

Race was put on well.  Good marking, well stocked aid, water stations in good places.

One problem was a bib mix up, so I was listed as a dnf on the computer.  That made me miss my pacer, but my fault because I don't run with a phone.  I borrowed a phone and sent out a text when she wasn't at the aid station.  She was able to catch me later.  It was a big boost to have the company.  The trail got pretty lonely.  Over half the runners dropped.

My 9th 100 mile finish.  Need to pick a good one for my 10th.  Ouray, Ute, Bear, Monster?

Bonnevile Backyard ultra 

Ute 100 Aug

24 hour loop race?

WTG, Berylrunner!  Sounds like you executed well and had a great race despite feeling unprepared.  That farm work must be killer cross-training.  

a smith

king of the non-sequitur

GReat work Beryl! that's amazing with no specific training!

Carkeek 6 Hour 10-19-24 

Fun trip to Reno and Carson City to run a few miles of the Tahoe Rim Trail race route.  Did around 6 of the 9-mile uphill at the start of the race, took a detour to Hobart Reservoir, then came back down for a total of 14, with around 4000' of climbing.  Still some snow but it should be gone by July.  Saw another runner out there who was also doing some TRT recon.

Pain is my friend

I pounded my quad on Memorial day. Climbed Enniss peak. Did a 12.7 mile trail run. Climbed 4300 ft in 4.7 miles. Then pushed some of the downhill. Still a bit of snow about 8500ft. Great start of the week. But now my quads are hammered.

My long run last week had only 2400ft vert in 18 miles.

Bonnevile Backyard ultra 

Ute 100 Aug

24 hour loop race?