Ultra Runners

April 2023 Ultra Training Thread (Read 21 times)

Pain is my friend

Amazing job beryl. That’s a great finish time. I may have past you in the night at an aid station and not know it. My buddy finished in 29:25. That course is deceptively harder than it looks. Sand, slick rock and all the turns are crazy. I don’t get turned around running. But on that course I and lost at night. Feels like you’re going in circles.

ATY 24   141.445 2019 1st

Bear 100 22:08 2021 

Jackpot 100 Feb 14:59 - 5th

Pulse endurance 48 hr 175.3 miles

Bonnevile Backyard ultra 

Ute 100 Aug

24 hour loop race?

dktrotter

Dorothea

Hello! Checking in again in the midst of a busy end-of-semester (I am an instructor for college writing, so I switched marathon and ultra running with grading for a while-2 more weeks!). I won't be doing any ultra training for a while, but do want to kind of stay in touch. 

I saw that article about Joasia Zakrzewski and was disappointed in her… but probably not as much as she is in herself. I get thinking that she needed to drop out and then deciding against it, but then she should have gone back to the point where she got in the car and continued from there. I feel like this kind of thing is pretty rare though? More rare than marathon cheating? I noticed during my own run that there are so many ways to cut the race short… but because it becomes about finishing the distance and the course, one is usually less inclined to cheat. But maybe it's different if you're competitive. 

On the bright side, I saw this brilliant article about Camille Herron. https://news.ultrasignup.com/the-possibilities-are-endless/?fbclid=IwAR1nOX2keuuHjFdOL1xslpVvkby8EHnoPdnDxSDD1i5j-LiDaN5koop5Ok8

Thanks b a d g e r for the note about signing up for the 12 hour and dropping… I know my friend is doing that (she “just” wants to run 50 miles that day). But I am actually going to be training for the Philadelphia Marathon at that point, which is my goal race, and so I just want 6 hours to put an effort in without risking injury. I’ll only be able to get about a month’s worth of training in at that point, so I don’t want to do too much too soon. 

ALSO congrats at Boston! Woah! Great time! 

Commander, “I don’t think volume will be a problem at all”… I don’t know anyone else who runs as many miles consistently as you do. I think you’re right :-) 

And I just bought Relentless Forward Progress for my summer reading. Looking forward to it. 

nOOky, sounds like a good plan. I also want to BQ in the fall…

Congrats on 2nd GatsbyBird! That is killing it! 

wcrunner, thanks for sharing more notes about your run. Yeah, when that direct sunlight comes out, it becomes 10x harder to get the same effort. I guess you don’t want to mess with BP readings. Good to recover well and run again real soon than push it into a bad situation that takes you out of runs for a while. 

berylrunner, great 100 mile report and congrats on Zion. It does sound like a pacer would have come in handy to help navigate at the end and relieve you of some of that stress. Still, sounds like a really great race re: fuel. Also great, no pain!  Wishing you and the other racers a continued smooth recovery. 

Qualifications: I like to run. In Florida. In the summer. At noon.  

Last race: May 27, Memorial Day 5K, 20:40.6. PR in not ideal conditions! A great way to start the summer.  

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

For those who want more detail on my race last week, here's a link to my full race report

wcrunner2.blogspot.com/2023/04/2023-alexander-county-12-hour-post.html

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K, 9:11:09
              06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Pain is my friend

Had a great week. Took a bit to recover from pacing my buddy. Put in a great 20 miles on trail Saturday and then 8 more later with my daughter. RA has me at 76 miles for the week with 7k vert. . With pacing on Sunday I hit 96 in 7 days and almost 10k vert.

ATY 24   141.445 2019 1st

Bear 100 22:08 2021 

Jackpot 100 Feb 14:59 - 5th

Pulse endurance 48 hr 175.3 miles

Bonnevile Backyard ultra 

Ute 100 Aug

24 hour loop race?

a smith

king of the non-sequitur

Margaret congrats on another podium finish!

DK thanks for the link. speaking of cheating are you able to catch people using AI to write their papers?

50M last week incl Squak 50k. they didnt even post my results... my AG doesn't even appear, maybe they are still putting it in? does it even matter?

but my watch recorded 7:48:58 with 8392' and 30.4M. good enough for me but i do ask myself why i paid a half day's pay to do it? did i just pay people to say "good job" as i pass by? i only used the aid station for hydration. pretty much ran on my own all day and enjoyed it. the trails here are nice. even in the wet i just wore road shoes and didnt slip at all. perfect weather too, about 50 degrees with occasional light showers. anyway i feel a good sense of accomplishment and recovery feels normal. hamstring issue that was worrying me didn't crop up at all just a lot of normal fatigue and sore quads. i think the lack of long runs in my training hurt my performance some but not as much as i would have thought. i think the older i get it becomes easier to over train than under train in terms of its' effect on performance.

oh and the course was 2.5 loops. i grabbed my poles after one loop and just couldnt get into using them. i find them helpful but also more of an energy drain and since my only real issue was fatigue this matters so i left them at the aid station and picked them up on my way back.

Bridle Trails 50k 1-13-24 5:39

Cottontail 6 Hour 4-13-24

Cougar Long Series (May,June,July,Aug 2024)

Carkeek 6 Hour 10-19-24 

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Just a quick drive by (fly by?) while I'm somewhere over Minnesota on my way to Denver for work this week.

This was my final big week of training, now it's taper time! Definitely looking forward to racing the next two weekends, but have not much more than zero idea what to expect from either.

Weekly for period: From: 04/17/2023 To 04/23/2023

<caption>Weekly Grid</caption>
              Date Name mi km Duration Avg/mi Avg/km Elevation Gain
              in ft
              04/17 3 rabbits, 1 hawk, & 1 heron 12.00 19.31 01:43:39 08:38 05:22 495
              04/17 That run after I was a marathon-focused Jiminy Cricket 6.10 9.82 00:53:02 08:42 05:24 463
              04/18 4 rabbits 8.00 12.88 01:13:58 09:15 05:45 472
              04/19 2x 8x200m hills 12.75 20.52 01:42:34 08:03 05:00 978
              04/19 Getting out in the heat while I can 5.05 8.12 00:43:38 08:38 05:22 338
              04/20 I missed most of the rain 10.00 16.10 01:32:42 09:16 05:45 617
              04/21 1 attack ostrich 17.01 27.37 02:20:46 08:17 05:09 823
              04/22 7 ducks, 2 geese, & 1 scissor-tailed flycatcher 20.26 32.59 02:43:43 08:05 05:01 1047
              04/23 Heat acclimation: going down. Altitude acclimation: about to go up. 5.05 8.12 00:43:37 08:38 05:22 259

Total distance: 96.23mi

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

?

Alan, nice job at Squak.  That's a lot of climbing.  Hopefully they find you in the results and post your finish time.

nOOky, see you Saturday at Driver's Flat AS at Canyons.

I had a fun marathon on Sunday in Wissahickon Park north of Philly.  So green.  There was a thunderstorm the night before but race day was good weather.  Almost got hit by a tree that fell between me and another woman 50' up the trail.  One of the few times I'll say it's fortunate I was not faster.  2nd in AG.

6/9/24 Cinderella Trail Run 50k, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

nOOky

Nice job on the age group placing Gatsby! Drivers flat is where I'll have a drop bag as we hit it twice as I'm sure you know. I'm concerned about the heat, we are definitely not acclimated and I simply hate running in the heat. I'll do my best and use ice etc. if they have it.

My friend ran the Zion 100k, I have only ran the 50k before. Not sure I'd want to run the whole 100 there, unless I'm thinking of Antelope canyon, they start to run together after a few years lol.

Istria 110k 4-6-2024

WS100 6-29-2024

UTMB 171k 8-30-2024

MCM 10-27-2024

a smith

king of the non-sequitur

Alan, nice job at Squak.  That's a lot of climbing.  Hopefully they find you in the results and post your finish time.

nOOky, see you Saturday at Driver's Flat AS at Canyons.

I had a fun marathon on Sunday in Wissahickon Park north of Philly.  So green.  There was a thunderstorm the night before but race day was good weather.  Almost got hit by a tree that fell between me and another woman 50' up the trail.  One of the few times I'll say it's fortunate I was not faster.  2nd in AG.

thanks. i just looked again. i guess it wasnt loaded before. i am there now. i got an AG 1/1 🤣 but thinking about the attrition in this sport i guess that counts for something!

how big was the tree? i am forever paranoid of having a tree fall on me after a very close call camping at Red's Meadow near Mammoth

Bridle Trails 50k 1-13-24 5:39

Cottontail 6 Hour 4-13-24

Cougar Long Series (May,June,July,Aug 2024)

Carkeek 6 Hour 10-19-24 

Duke of the Internet

Nice job on the age group placing Gatsby! Drivers flat is where I'll have a drop bag as we hit it twice as I'm sure you know. I'm concerned about the heat, we are definitely not acclimated and I simply hate running in the heat. I'll do my best and use ice etc. if they have it.

My friend ran the Zion 100k, I have only ran the 50k before. Not sure I'd want to run the whole 100 there, unless I'm thinking of Antelope canyon, they start to run together after a few years lol.

Nooky-Good luck this weekend.  I will be interested to see what you think of course.  I know it changed for this year.  I have no idea what they are going to do for the WS camp.  I have a feeling nothing before the canyons will be runnable.

how big was the tree? i am forever paranoid of having a tree fall on me after a very close call camping at Red's Meadow near Mammoth

It was a big tree!  My arms would not go even halfway around it. 

Go nOOky!  Hope Canyons 100 goes well.

Just realized that I probably won’t see nOOKy tomorrow at Canyons since my shift is later in the day. He started today and has to be through Drivers Flat by 10:30 am tomorrow. I start at 11 am tomorrow and we’ll see mostly 100k runners.

6/9/24 Cinderella Trail Run 50k, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

nOOky

Sorry I missed you Margaret! I asked if you were there the first time I stopped, but they said no one with that name was there. I looked around the second time also. I changed shoes and socks, and some nice guy helped me. He said it was the first time he'd ever done this for someone. I changed into fresh socks and shoes because my feet were hammered, and my shoes and socks soaking wet from crossing water. I lubed them up, and they felt a lot worse than they were, I should have left them alone ugh.

Istria 110k 4-6-2024

WS100 6-29-2024

UTMB 171k 8-30-2024

MCM 10-27-2024