Ultra Runners

October 2022 Ultra Training Thread (Read 18 times)

nOOky

Sounds like a great vacation!

Istria 110k 4-6-2024

WS100 6-29-2024

UTMB 171k 8-30-2024

MCM 10-27-2024

Running Problem

Problem Child

PS sorry no pics, I don’t have my laptop and don’t know how to post from my phone. There are a few on Strava.

*viciously types various spellings of GatsbyBird into Strava*

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Pain is my friend

One of my biggest weeks in some time. Ran 75.5 miles with 7,400 ft vert. Got in 2 great trail days in. My long run was on road. 17.3 miles at 8:07 ave.

ATY 24   141.445 2019 1st

Bear 100 22:08 2021 

Jackpot 100 Feb 14:59 - 5th

Pulse endurance 48 hr 175.3 miles

Bonnevile Backyard ultra 

Ute 100 Aug

24 hour loop race?

*viciously types various spellings of GatsbyBird into Strava*

Hint: I'm connected to Alan and have a bird for my avatar.  (Although the bird is DaniBird not GatsbyBird.)

Here are a couple pics from the race photographer:

Home now, and came down with a nasty case of bronchitis.  Doesn't seem to be Covid, based on negative tests, but it's still no fun.  Can't take more than a couple steps without a coughing attack.  Pulled something in my ribcage.  Can't sleep.  Ugh.  No running for a few more days, hoping the bug clears up soon.

6/9/24 Cinderella Trail Run 50k, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

nOOky

Ugh, feel better soon!

Edit: 14.3 miles for the week. The antibiotics kicked in, but I still feel tired a lot, and running even on the flat just feels like a struggle. Only 15 weeks until my 102k time really flies.

Istria 110k 4-6-2024

WS100 6-29-2024

UTMB 171k 8-30-2024

MCM 10-27-2024

Duke of the Internet

Hint: I'm connected to Alan and have a bird for my avatar.  (Although the bird is DaniBird not GatsbyBird.)

Here are a couple pics from the race photographer:

Home now, and came down with a nasty case of bronchitis.  Doesn't seem to be Covid, based on negative tests, but it's still no fun.  Can't take more than a couple steps without a coughing attack.  Pulled something in my ribcage.  Can't sleep.  Ugh.  No running for a few more days, hoping the bug clears up soon.

These pictures are great.  The couple behind you are holding hands.  I assume you must have been close to the finish.

Ugh, feel better soon!

Edit: 14.3 miles for the week. The antibiotics kicked in, but I still feel tired a lot, and running even on the flat just feels like a struggle. Only 15 weeks until my 102k time really flies.

You beat me, I had 13 miles of walking last week and 0 miles of anything so far this week.  I'm still battling bronchitis.  Can't stop coughing.  Tired all the time.  Doesn't bode well for my 100 in 3.5 weeks.  Extended taper?  

Badger, the photo on the beach was well before the halfway point.  I think they must have seen the photographer coming up.

6/9/24 Cinderella Trail Run 50k, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

a smith

king of the non-sequitur

Gatsby, glad you had a good trip but sorry you got sick. i almost always got sick on flights. don't fly much anymore but when i do i n95 or double mask and also use these: https://www.nozin.com/

i learned about it from the hospital, they sometimes use this for patients preparing for surgery. it seems to have helped at least the last couple of trips

super wet and rainy here now but better on the throat and lungs than smoke. race day is on Sunday. i am considering dropping to the 20 miler instead of doing the 50k. i had a lot of fun doing shorter trail distances this summer (between 10 and 20M) and i did do 3 50k's in the Winter and Spring. ..and i am kinda beat up from hand digging out a lot of bamboo that had invaded my yard. ongoing project but a lot like going to the gym in a more uncontrolled/jarring way. excuses i know but i just feel like 20M is more appropriate for where i am at. i have been thinking about goals and that my yearly mileage goal may be the most important in terms of running for health.

Bridle Trails 50k 1-13-24 5:39

Cottontail 6 Hour 4-13-24

Cougar Long Series (May,June,July,Aug 2024)

Carkeek 6 Hour 10-19-24 

Duke of the Internet

You beat me, I had 13 miles of walking last week and 0 miles of anything so far this week.  I'm still battling bronchitis.  Can't stop coughing.  Tired all the time.  Doesn't bode well for my 100 in 3.5 weeks.  Extended taper?  

Badger, the photo on the beach was well before the halfway point.  I think they must have seen the photographer coming up.

I think I got bronchitis after Chicago.  I have been battling a nasty cough and have had tons of mucus.  I took several covid tests and all were negative.  I hope my lungs are at least clear before I run NYC in 10 ten days.  I have given up any hope of running it fast.  I got my flu shot yesterday.  I will say compared to the covid shots, that was a piece of cake.