Ultra Runners

August 2022 Ultra Training Thread (Read 24 times)

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

One of the hotter Julys on record here. Between that and a slow recovery after Merrill's Mile, my mileage wasn't as much as I had planned.  Still finished with 158.3.

Nothing planned until Labor Day weekend, so focusing on getting some solid mileage this month.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K, 9:11:09
          06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

KreegSauceRuns

225 miles for me in July.  I had a great month.  I really felt like the strength training and running in the heat did me well.  Hoping I can put together a successful August.

1/8/22 - Frosty 50k - 5:21:19 (strava)

3/26/22 - Blackbeard's Revenge 100 - 27:27:06 (strava)

9/30/22 - Yeti 100 - Abingdon, VA - 25:46:01 (strava)

4/1/23 - Umstead 100 - Raleigh, NC

nOOky

Since I was nursing two separate injuries in July and late June I included more biking and mountain biking so I had 276 miles biking in July, and only 94.13 miles running. I had 11 runs with 11,777 feet of gain so I ramped back up quickly. In three weeks at TDS if I finish I'll have about 93 miles and 29,000 feet of gain in one race so here's to hoping I'm ready. It's all just hiking anyway right?

Istria 110k 4-6-2024

WS100 6-29-2024

UTMB 171k 8-30-2024

MCM 10-27-2024

Duke of the Internet

Well it appears I had 296.8 miles in July and took yesterday off of running.  Go figure .

Paced 32.8 miles at Badger 100 over the weekend.  That was fun and it's always nice to give back and help someone else trying to reach a goal.  Course was pretty.  It's a rail to trail, so flat but some good shade.  My runner and I were basically alone the entire time.  We were in a pocket and no one was passing us and he only passed a few folks.  Good experience all around.

Running Problem

Problem Child

Apparently I didn't run very much in July. 161 miles. I guess my 50 miler was a big reason. I took all last week off from work, then on Monday night I started feeling sick and yesterday was the first day I've felt normal. I don't know if my immune system/body were still recovering from the 50 miler I tortured it through, or if it's just my luck. I took the time off to work (goal was to finish) my Jeep Cherokee in the garage but that didn't happen. I only did 1 mile a day most days because fever and stomach pains killed it. I did an 8.5 miler and had to walk part of it because the stomach just wasn't having it. I DID try so hard to get the 100 degree badge from Garmin. They apparently don't count the "feels like" temperature when my Garmin watch says the temp is 100 F. Such nonsense.

no races planned. I'm TEMPTING myself at getting back to road racing shape with CIM upcoming. The POSSIBILITY of getting a bib transfer exists. It isn't a goal race right now. Boston 2023 is. April 2023 just seems so far away I can delay training.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Pain is my friend

July was one of my lower mileage months of the year. 243 miles and 21k vert. coming back from vacation and running a race will do that to you. I hoping to get over 300 this month. Vert will be down because I decided to chase that marathon again. Don't ask me why. I ask myself that almost daily.

Work has been busy lately. My 18 yr old daughter has been wanting to get out on the trail and I haven't had time. So she went on her own and called me out on social media. She said "I went trail running alone today, because my father is too busy to spend time with me". I know she is poking fun at me. I would rather go run than run.

ATY 24   141.445 2019 1st

Bear 100 22:08 2021 

Jackpot 100 Feb 14:59 - 5th

Pulse endurance 48 hr 175.3 miles

Bonnevile Backyard ultra 

Ute 100 Aug

24 hour loop race?

I had 209 for July.  No big mileage runs or races but pretty good consistency with intervals.  A little spotty on the strength work, but I'll tackle that in August.  Doing a 30k on Saturday and a marathon at the end of the month.

6/9/24 Cinderella Trail Run 50k, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

Duke of the Internet

Apparently I didn't run very much in July. 161 miles. I guess my 50 miler was a big reason. I took all last week off from work, then on Monday night I started feeling sick and yesterday was the first day I've felt normal. I don't know if my immune system/body were still recovering from the 50 miler I tortured it through, or if it's just my luck. I took the time off to work (goal was to finish) my Jeep Cherokee in the garage but that didn't happen. I only did 1 mile a day most days because fever and stomach pains killed it. I did an 8.5 miler and had to walk part of it because the stomach just wasn't having it. I DID try so hard to get the 100 degree badge from Garmin. They apparently don't count the "feels like" temperature when my Garmin watch says the temp is 100 F. Such nonsense.

no races planned. I'm TEMPTING myself at getting back to road racing shape with CIM upcoming. The POSSIBILITY of getting a bib transfer exists. It isn't a goal race right now. Boston 2023 is. April 2023 just seems so far away I can delay training.

I have considered running CIM as well.  I already have my 2023 Boston qualifer from Boston 2022 but wanted to run it to be in town for the western states lottery drawing the next day.  I didn't realize it was already sold out.

Running Problem

Problem Child

I have considered running CIM as well.  I already have my 2023 Boston qualifer from Boston 2022 but wanted to run it to be in town for the western states lottery drawing the next day.  I didn't realize it was already sold out.

Drawing is the day before, not after CIM.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

Running Problem

Problem Child

July was one of my lower mileage months of the year. 243 miles and 21k vert. coming back from vacation and running a race will do that to you. I hoping to get over 300 this month. Vert will be down because I decided to chase that marathon again. Don't ask me why. I ask myself that almost daily.

Work has been busy lately. My 18 yr old daughter has been wanting to get out on the trail and I haven't had time. So she went on her own and called me out on social media. She said "I went trail running alone today, because my father is too busy to spend time with me". I know she is poking fun at me. I would rather go run than run.

Just some advice....

https://www.strava.com/activities/7287403407

Also,

https://www.strava.com/activities/7010392600

VDOT 53.37 

Duke of the Internet

Drawing is the day before, not after CIM.

Thanks.  I knew they weren't on the same day.  My family lives in San Jose so I would have a place to stay.  I doubt I go but I like the idea of being there when/if my ticket is picked after ten years.

Badger, you could always do Hunter S. Thompson Fear and Loathing on 12/4.  It’s fat ass that wanders around SF, generally following the 49 mile scenic drive.  There are a few strategically placed aid stations despite the fat ass designation.  I’ve run and volunteered.

https://ultrasignup.com/register.aspx?did=96059

Thanks.  I knew they weren't on the same day.  My family lives in San Jose so I would have a place to stay.  I doubt I go but I like the idea of being there when/if my ticket is picked after ten years.

6/9/24 Cinderella Trail Run 50k, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

Duke of the Internet

Badger, you could always do Hunter S. Thompson Fear and Loathing on 12/4.  It’s fat ass that wanders around SF, generally following the 49 mile scenic drive.  There are a few strategically placed aid stations despite the fat ass designation.  I’ve run and volunteered.

https://ultrasignup.com/register.aspx?did=96059

That sounds awesome

a smith

king of the non-sequitur

only 170M for July. i decided not to try and get heat adapted this year. that plus new job and colonoscopy kept mileage down. still ahead of yearly goal by 88M. i know a lot of runners like to take a break in the winter but for me, since you can run here all winter i like to take it easier in the summer. heat is a problem when my house and work is so hot there is no good way to cool down.

decided to do the 14.5 miler next week and not the marathon option. have been doing some progs and did a tempo run the other day. these feel really good if i time them just right. i know lately i should be in another thread but i do have a 50k in october Smile

BTW the Teanaway country 100 added a 50k this year. it has 11,000' of climbing and requires a headlamp!

Bridle Trails 50k 1-13-24 5:39

Cottontail 6 Hour 4-13-24

Cougar Long Series (May,June,July,Aug 2024)

Carkeek 6 Hour 10-19-24 

nOOky

56 miles for the week with 5,676 feet of gain. Yesterday I did four loops of a last man standing race. The cutoff for the hilly 4.25 mile loop was tight, half the people didn't make the second lap. It was horrible out, 78F dew point and the air was just thick. I went into it thinking it'd be easier than it was. Lap one I had 5 minutes before the second lap, it went by super fast, I had time to pee and grab a drink. Lap two I ran faster, but the six minutes also went real quick. Lap three I made it with maybe 45 seconds to spare and line up for lap four. Lap four my wife came back out with me because I knew I'd miss the cut. She ran two before she stopped, then ran most of lap four with me because I said screw it and cut the course early and quit after 16 miles.

I ran with my pack fully loaded training for my next race, most of the men were shirtless and carrying handhelds. The last 5 trail runs this week were in horrible heat and humidity, I was soaked through every time. Today's 74F dew point actually didn't feel horrible, maybe acclimation I dunno. I went out today with 3 hours on the schedule, and ran another 16.3 miles, I felt better than anticipated.

I also ran this weekend with the new Altra Mont Blank Boa's. They are ugly, but I'm pretty sure I'll wear them for TDS in two weeks. On today's run I was able to reach down, pop the boa buttons, remove my shoe, empty out a rock, and have it back in maybe 15 seconds. There is no provision for gaiters, but I normally don't use them. Very comfy, very light compared to my Olympus 4's, and grip seemed adequate. Also very expensive, thankfully I married above my station.

Istria 110k 4-6-2024

WS100 6-29-2024

UTMB 171k 8-30-2024

MCM 10-27-2024