Ultra Runners

April 2023 Ultra Training Thread (Read 21 times)

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Wrapped up March with 176.1 miles and the first quarter with 527.1, so on track to reach my mileage goal for the year.

First race of the year in two weeks. Kind of odd that so far all three races I've registered for are on tracks, two on 400m outdoor tracks and one on a 443.5m indoor track.  Definitely a contrast to the stereotype of ultra races being through the woods and over mountains.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K, 9:11:09
          06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

nOOky

226.39 for March. During my 4 hour run today I was tired and sore and thinking "no way in hell can I run a hundred in 4 weeks". But it will soon be taper time, and I'll be ornery that I'm not running enough. The course was changed due to the massive amounts of snow parts of Cali have had, so the race ends at the start line which makes logistics much easier for us. They tightened the cutoff time to 32 hours from 36 with the course change, making me wonder if I can make it.

Istria 110k 4-6-2024

WS100 6-29-2024

UTMB 171k 8-30-2024

MCM 10-27-2024

Pain is my friend

299.4 miles last month. What? If I knew I was .6 from 300 I would have gone and got it done. Good month. Great 12 hour race and recovered fast. Back to training as normal next week.

ATY 24   141.445 2019 1st

Bear 100 22:08 2021 

Jackpot 100 Feb 14:59 - 5th

Pulse endurance 48 hr 175.3 miles

Bonnevile Backyard ultra 

Ute 100 Aug

24 hour loop race?

Duke of the Internet

354 miles for me in March.  I ran R2R2R today.  So a nice start for April!!

berylrunner

Rick

I had a pretty good March.  Just need to go two weeks with no injuries.  I have backed off the mileage and added intensity.  Wish I could get some runs in the heat.

@Badger.  Did you make it to the North rim?  Reports of lots  of snow and trail damage.  Had some friends there this weekend.

12-23  Last One Standing  -  Finished 102 miles

2- 24 Grandmaster 100 - 22:32, 1st place

4-24. Cappy's Backyard - 17 yards, 1st place

5-24  Bryce 100 - 29:38, 18th place

A so-so March for me.  Started well with a fun 50k at Monument Valley, but then I got sick and tweaked my ribs.  Finished the month with 184 miles.  Less than I'd planned, but at least I'm finally feeling better.  Changing to the HM instead of 50k at Napa Valley.  I don't want to set myself back more by doing too much too soon.  Also have a trail marathon the following weekend.  No plans to change that right now.

nOOky, I saw that Canyons changed the course but I didn't notice that they also tightened the cutoff.  Fun stuff.  I'll see you twice at Driver's Flat AS.

Nice work everybody.

6/9/24 Cinderella Trail Run 50k, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

Finished March with 381 miles and somewhere around 45K feet of vertical gain.  Next week is going to be tough with late work dinners,  kids track meets, family activities, and easter obligations.  Aiming for 84 miles with 13K vertical gain.

a smith

king of the non-sequitur

y'all are crushing the mileage! mine was 153 but that's ok. 42 for the week. had a preview group run at Squak an excuse to get some vert! feeling after i needed it! they put the course in cal topo which is very cool! probably did it for me... Smile

https://caltopo.com/m/U15C

Bridle Trails 50k 1-13-24 5:39

Cottontail 6 Hour 4-13-24

Cougar Long Series (May,June,July,Aug 2024)

Carkeek 6 Hour 10-19-24 

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Badger - Awesome! How was it?

Krash - It's pretty remarkable that you've already recovered from that race.

I closed March with 358 miles, less than a mile away from February's total. Within 5 weeks from my race now! Still in debate on which method of carrying hydration I'll choose (primarily between Salomon race vest and Orane Mud single quiver).
                    Salomon has slightly more capacity for extra gear/supplies that may not be needed (multiple flasks allows for water and liquid calories/electrolytes separately), while I have a lot more experience with the OM quiver and the bottle would be much faster to fill at an AS.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

?

Duke of the Internet

I had a pretty good March.  Just need to go two weeks with no injuries.  I have backed off the mileage and added intensity.  Wish I could get some runs in the heat.

@Badger.  Did you make it to the North rim?  Reports of lots  of snow and trail damage.  Had some friends there this weekend.

We parked in the visitor lot and ran to SK trailhead.  We ran down SK, up NK to the Supai tunnel, then up BA and ran back to the visitor center.  We got around 46 miles.  The tunnel was 100% ice and then snow reached to mid chest level for the last 1.5 miles.  We had poles and spikes but the one person I talked too that make it to the top said, the last 1.5 miles took him 90 minutes one way.  No interest in doing that.

We made the R2R2R2 part (to the tunnel) in around 12 hours.  Add another 90 minutes for the stuff at the top.  I was pleased.  We probaly spent an hour at the ranch total as we hit it both ways when it open.  The first mile down SK was 100% ice and then totally clear.  The last 1.5 miles up BA was snow and ice but not bad from the warming of the day.

Duke of the Internet

Finished March with 381 miles and somewhere around 45K feet of vertical gain.  Next week is going to be tough with late work dinners,  kids track meets, family activities, and easter obligations.  Aiming for 84 miles with 13K vertical gain.

45K of gain is impressive.  My best month this year has been 23K.

Running Problem

Problem Child

354 miles for me in March.  I ran R2R2R today.  So a nice start for April!!

*Insert fcukyah GIF*

NICE!

I think I hit 280 for March, and I THINK it was my biggest week ever with 80.99 miles. It didn't even hurt and I wasn't exhausted the entire time. I'm guessing this is a benefit of training and steadily increasing mileage while also adding a 10-15 mile run twice during the week. I've toyed with the idea of a 100 mile week often. I'd need better weather and no races to stick with it. Just to say I've done it. I've also toyed with just jumping into a 100 miler with 50-70 mile weeks and some occasional trail running since my hiking skills are what kills me for ultras around here.

keen What I've no direct experience with Salomon vests I've been told the bottles suck when trying to get them back in. So I guess practice more with putting the bottles back in their home on the vest. If it's more annoying than reaching behind you go with the orange mud you know.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Pain is my friend

I am on my 3 Salomon vest. Love them. I use the wide mouth soft flasks. I don't put the flasks in the back pockets. Maybe in the big back pocket I put a 3rd bottle. But I save that area for a can of Mt. Dew most of the time. Being a soft flask it is not the easiest to put back in their home. When they are full they go in easier.

CK- Thanks I am surprised too. But the weather has been so crazy I haven't been able to run the bigger miles I want.

keen What I've no direct experience with Salomon vests I've been told the bottles suck when trying to get them back in. So I guess practice more with putting the bottles back in their home on the vest. If it's more annoying than reaching behind you go with the orange mud you know.

ATY 24   141.445 2019 1st

Bear 100 22:08 2021 

Jackpot 100 Feb 14:59 - 5th

Pulse endurance 48 hr 175.3 miles

Bonnevile Backyard ultra 

Ute 100 Aug

24 hour loop race?

RE: Salomon vests - I bit the bullet and purchased an Adv Skin 12 a couple years back due to a couple races with mandatory gear requirements that exceeded my UD pack capacity.  Pros: lots of storage and pockets, lightweight, multiple options for strapping hiking poles in.  Cons: layering of pockets sometimes makes grabbing what you need while running very difficult, also soft flasks take space and limit use of pockets so I reverted to a bladder.   I wouldn't say Salomon is significantly better or worse than UD as I had similar challenges with soft flasks with my UD vest, I think it really comes down to personal preference and fit.  I generally prefer not to use a pack for races 50 miles or less unless there are very few aid stations or the weather is going to change quickly and drastically.

Badger - congrats on your R2R2R.  Sounds like it was an adventure!  RE: my vert, 45K for a month sounds like a lot until you see many of the pros are doing 20-30K+ of vert per week.

dktrotter

Dorothea

Come to Florida :-) We're back in the 90s this week.

Missed the March recaps, but wow, those are some impressive mileages. It's making me realize that if I'm going to take this ultra thing seriously, I do want to get up to higher miles safely. Hungryland made me realize I could really get into this ultra thing, so I'm going to sign up for a 6-hour in Sept and I'm going to attempt 100 next year, the one Hungryland offers.

badger, R2R2R seems really cool!

Re: vests, I too have heard that the collapsible bottles are hard to put back in when they're half empty. I rediscovered the bladder and actually prefer that now to the bottles. That being said, I would still carry a collapsible one to fill up at aid stations.

flatfooter, 45k a month is still awesome. But I also look at it from the perspective of being glad to get 1000 a month.

Qualifications: I like to run. In Florida. In the summer. At noon.  

Last race: May 27, Memorial Day 5K, 20:40.6. PR in not ideal conditions! A great way to start the summer.