Ultra Runners

January 2024 Ultra Training Thread (Read 19 times)

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

New year, but no new resolutions here.  Closed out 2023 with my longest run since my ablation in September, so a recovery run today, just not a recovery run from partying too much last night.

Normally I'd have my race schedule pretty much set up for the year by now, but the last four months have thrown off all my plans.  The only definite race I have is a return to Six Days in the Dome for the 12-hour again. They've added a 10-day this year and designated one of the 24-hour races as an elite race with minimum standards for entry.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K, 9:11:09
          06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

WC, thanks for kicking us off for 2024.

Last year's mileage was a little lower than usual, at 2068, but it was enough to do what I wanted to do.  Started 2023 sidelined with bronchitis, then took a month off to deal with a foot problem after my 100, and I took some trips with DH that did not involve running.  All worked out okay in the end.  I now think the Speedgoats caused the foot problem.  The tendinitis has been lurking for the past few months while I had the Speedgoats in the rotation.  But yesterday, I did 29 miles at a 6-hour race with no foot issues while wearing Asics Trabuco Max, despite running in circles on a paved loop.  Going to stay away from the Hokas for a while and see how it goes.

Goals for the year: Tahoe Rim Trail 56 in July, Mountain Lakes 100 in Sept (regis opens on 1/6).  Also have some 50k races planned for fun and training (Ft. Old, Napa Valley).  Others TBD.

Happy new year, all.

6/9/24 Cinderella Trail Run 50k, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

Pain is my friend

Last year I don’t think I ran a single PR. Oh wait, ran my farthest in a backyard ultra. 22 yards for the win. Miles were down but had a ton of fun. I am looking to go big in 2024.

ATY 24   141.445 2019 1st

Bear 100 22:08 2021 

Jackpot 100 Feb 14:59 - 5th

Pulse endurance 48 hr 175.3 miles

Bonnevile Backyard ultra 

Ute 100 Aug

24 hour loop race?

Duke of the Internet

WC, thanks for kicking us off for 2024.

Last year's mileage was a little lower than usual, at 2068, but it was enough to do what I wanted to do.  Started 2023 sidelined with bronchitis, then took a month off to deal with a foot problem after my 100, and I took some trips with DH that did not involve running.  All worked out okay in the end.  I now think the Speedgoats caused the foot problem.  The tendinitis has been lurking for the past few months while I had the Speedgoats in the rotation.  But yesterday, I did 29 miles at a 6-hour race with no foot issues while wearing Asics Trabuco Max, despite running in circles on a paved loop.  Going to stay away from the Hokas for a while and see how it goes.

Goals for the year: Tahoe Rim Trail 56 in July, Mountain Lakes 100 in Sept (regis opens on 1/6).  Also have some 50k races planned for fun and training (Ft. Old, Napa Valley).  Others TBD.

Happy new year, all.

Mountain Lakes is my favorite 100 miler.  I hope you get in.

Running Problem

Problem Child

I have a goal, and it hinges on life things. If life stays the same I'll put myself into Tahoe Rim Trail 100 miler. Goal will be a Sub 24 finish (top 5-10% typically) and somehow break it to my wife I'll be doing it as a race so I'll be pretty useless for the days after. I'd need to get up EARLY for long weekend runs still so I can do it with less impact on the family. After looking over a training plan or two, Memorial Day weekend through June would be the big weekend miles.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

a smith

king of the non-sequitur

Nice job at the 6 hour Gatsby! I really like 6 hour races. have 2 planned for this year. and a 50k coming up in less than 2 weeks, it's one of the courses I keep doing every year. hoping to go sub 6 hours. last year was 5:40. might depend on how muddy it gets. did a cold water dip yesterday as ritual but then realized that it's so good i want to do it more and when it's not on Jan 1 there wont be so many gawkers

Bridle Trails 50k 1-13-24 5:39

Cottontail 6 Hour 4-13-24

Cougar Long Series (May,June,July,Aug 2024)

Carkeek 6 Hour 10-19-24 

I set an alarm to make sure I was up in time to register for Mountain Lakes 100, and I'm in!  Now I can fill in other things on the calendar, running and otherwise.

Pain is my friend

First week of Jan is already a butt kicker. 76 miles and 6700 vert. Big run Saturday. 24 miles with 3k vert mostly on soft snow.

ATY 24   141.445 2019 1st

Bear 100 22:08 2021 

Jackpot 100 Feb 14:59 - 5th

Pulse endurance 48 hr 175.3 miles

Bonnevile Backyard ultra 

Ute 100 Aug

24 hour loop race?

a smith

king of the non-sequitur

I set an alarm to make sure I was up in time to register for Mountain Lakes 100, and I'm in!  Now I can fill in other things on the calendar, running and otherwise.

nice! have you run that before?

Carkeek 6 Hour 10-19-24 

Duke of the Internet

I hope you love it as much as I did.  Still one of my favorite races.

nice! have you run that before?

I’ve done the Mt. Hood 50, which is on some of the same trails, I believe.  I’m kinda excited.

a smith

king of the non-sequitur

I’ve done the Mt. Hood 50, which is on some of the same trails, I believe.  I’m kinda excited.

yes some of it is the same. it looks like the 100 course changed somewhat. when i ran it the first 25M or so was way more interesting and technical and the rest of it was very mild and similar to the 50 course. They have a big aid station at about 100k that is where the 50 starts. one thing i would do differently is that the start is so remote, I would camp there instead of driving back and forth from the tiny town "nearby". it's such a slog to get there the day before and then drive back to hotel and then back again the next day i was spent just getting to the start!

Carkeek 6 Hour 10-19-24 

a smith

king of the non-sequitur

...and I cant say enough about the RD's. Todd was kind enough to drive my sorry arse out of there after mentally crashing out hard

Carkeek 6 Hour 10-19-24 

a smith

king of the non-sequitur

getting ready for a nighttime 50k on Sat. temps are expected to be in the teens. this is something I am definitely NOT used to. any advice from you cold weather folks is appreciated! I did make some screw shoes out of an old pair Smile

Carkeek 6 Hour 10-19-24 

nOOky

Layer everything, and merino wool base layers if you have them. In the teens I get by with a base layer top, light jacket or quarter zip over that, and then a light wind jacket to regulate heat. I carry light gloves, with light weight Salomon waterproof mittens over those, or Craft convertible gloves. I have a light beanie, and then use the jacket hood if I need to. Water proof shoes, gaiters, normal tights or a base layer bottom under really light loose wind pants. Merino wool Darn Tough socks is all I ever wear.

Basically you want versatility to adjust for being hot or cold in as light a package as you can put together imho.

Istria 110k 4-6-2024

WS100 6-29-2024

UTMB 171k 8-30-2024

MCM 10-27-2024