Ultra Runners

February 2023 Ultra Training Thread (Read 21 times)

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

January is over and we've yet to have any measurable snow. Temps have generally been above average. It's made for some fine winter running weather, but I'm wondering what February may have in store for us.

Not a lot of running, though I am up to about 40 minutes per day total in two sessions, but a lot of brisk walking to maintain some fitness. Total walking and running for January is 188.3 miles in 47:35:56.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K, 9:11:09
          06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Duke of the Internet

242 miles and 21k of climbing in January for me.  That’s a solid month since I didn’t race.  Normally a race would account for half of the gain.  I slowed the mileage last week as I’m running the mesa marathon on Saturday.  It’s the first of many western states training runs I have planned between now and June.  I’m just looking for a solid effort on Saturday.  The lack of speed work would negate any chance of a PR or a BQ.

nOOky

254.64 running plus some fat biking and hiking not included in that total. February will be lower as we'll be on vacation for 15 days, and I'm only running a 63 mile race and some shorter runs before and after. Lots of activities planned in New Zealand, but getting up and running everyday isn't on the list 

I'll hit it hard when we get back on the 21st as it will be only 10 weeks until a 100 miler.

Istria 110k 4-6-2024

WS100 6-29-2024

UTMB 171k 8-30-2024

MCM 10-27-2024

Duke of the Internet

254.64 running plus some fat biking and hiking not included in that total. February will be lower as we'll be on vacation for 15 days, and I'm only running a 63 mile race and some shorter runs before and after. Lots of activities planned in New Zealand, but getting up and running everyday isn't on the list 

I'll hit it hard when we get back on the 21st as it will be only 10 weeks until a 100 miler.

I looked into the canyons 100k as Quicksilver is sold out (I’m 47th on the waitlist).  The canyons 100k is also sold out.  Crazy.  Maybe I need to do the western states camp.

January involved a trip to Ireland with my dad, resuming with my running coach, getting back into consistent running and strength workouts, and picking a goal race for the year (Oregon Cascades 100).

Nothing very ultra-ish or even marathon-ish to report.  136 miles for January.  Have 20 mile trail race in a couple weeks.

Badger, WSER training camp is the best bang for your buck, IMO.

6/9/24 Cinderella Trail Run 50k, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

Duke of the Internet

January involved a trip to Ireland with my dad, resuming with my running coach, getting back into consistent running and strength workouts, and picking a goal race for the year (Oregon Cascades 100).

Nothing very ultra-ish or even marathon-ish to report.  136 miles for January.  Have 20 mile trail race in a couple weeks.

Thanks.  I think my fear with the camp is the trails won't be ready in time.  They have so much work to do from the fires and flooding.  I should just have faith and book everything.

Pain is my friend

Last month was one of my lest mile months in some time. Ran 168 miles. Recovery from my 24 hour took more time than I though it would.

ATY 24   141.445 2019 1st

Bear 100 22:08 2021 

Jackpot 100 Feb 14:59 - 5th

Pulse endurance 48 hr 175.3 miles

Bonnevile Backyard ultra 

Ute 100 Aug

24 hour loop race?

ebiss

I’m signed up for Oregon Cascades as well. I’ll see you there!

nOOky

32.68 for the week due to the taper. Flying out tomorrow and it's not looking like I'll get a run in during the next 6 days before the race. We are doing other things like yachting and learning to surf two days before so I'm sure the legs will get some work in them. We'll be back on the 21st, everyone be safe and run fast.

Istria 110k 4-6-2024

WS100 6-29-2024

UTMB 171k 8-30-2024

MCM 10-27-2024

nOOky, safe travels to NZ!  Looking forward to the RR.

ebiss, cool, see you in Bend, OR!  I think I recall you saying that you have family in the area?

ebiss

nOOky, safe travels to NZ!  Looking forward to the RR.

ebiss, cool, see you in Bend, OR!  I think I recall you saying that you have family in the area?

Yes, my Goddaughter lives in Redmond and will be pacing me when it gets dark. I’m looking forward to spending the quality time with her. I’m expecting her to ask me to pace her next year. Pacing is an effective Ultra gateway drug. 

Duke of the Internet

45 miles for the week.  Ran the Mesa Marathon on Saturday.  I intended for it to be a training run for Western States.  However, the cool weather in the morning talked me into racing it.  I clocked a 3:13 which is a nice fat BQ for 2024.  So great weekend.  My training this week will suffer although as I'm quite sore right.  Nice course, good swag.  The parking was a complete disaster and I barely made the startline in time.

a smith

king of the non-sequitur

178M for January and 44M last week including long walks.

thanks Margaret for lmk I was talking to an empty room (as usual) Smile

Nooky have a great trip. that is a place Ive always wanted to visit but afraid i wouldnt come back if i went there...i mean massive mountains and no bears! could you imagine?

speaking of wildlife Krash is still over in the January thread talking about charging buffaloes

Badger, excellent job at Mesa. do you live down there? hard to imagine no parking in Mesa!

had some chiro sessions and the hammy is starting to loosen a little but then the guy who was treating me abruptly left the practice and the new guy doesnt do good adjustments and just uses the woo-woo stuff like that clicker thing so maybe this is all just a lesson in heal thy-self.

Bridle Trails 50k 1-13-24 5:39

Cottontail 6 Hour 4-13-24

Cougar Long Series (May,June,July,Aug 2024)

Carkeek 6 Hour 10-19-24 

Pain is my friend

What? its not still January? oops. lol  Where does time go?

speaking of wildlife Krash is still over in the January thread talking about charging buffaloes

ATY 24   141.445 2019 1st

Bear 100 22:08 2021 

Jackpot 100 Feb 14:59 - 5th

Pulse endurance 48 hr 175.3 miles

Bonnevile Backyard ultra 

Ute 100 Aug

24 hour loop race?

thanks Margaret for lmk I was talking to an empty room (as usual) Smile

That's the value that I add here.  

Finished the week with 54 miles.  Getting out for runs and doing strength workouts more consistently now.