Virtual Racers

With the revival, how about a contest for 2011 (Read 279 times)

jeffdonahue

I was thinking along the lines of a "Negative Split" contest.

Everyone that wants to enter has to run a 5K (whether official, or on your own, I dont care), trying to go just a bit faster than the one the previous month.  If you dont go faster, you're out - last one standing wins.

If you are doing more than one 5K in a month, you have to declare ahead of time which one is going to count towards the contest.

just a thought

C-R

I like it. Perhaps based on PR + 1 minute as the starting point. allows for out of shape non race ready and sandbagging.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
      "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Go Pre!

Man, been so busy. My intentions are there. Started building a much better site. very focused and intuitive. I hope to have it ready for at latest, mid January!

ciao

Dave

jeffdonahue

I like it. Perhaps based on PR + 1 minute as the starting point. allows for out of shape non race ready and sandbagging.

Yeah, we definitely need to allow for at least a little sandbagging  Wink

I'd say not letting your first 5K go more than a minute and a half over your PR.  But exceptions can be made - if for examply you are coming off a 6 month layoff or something

Well...I don't know if a PR is necessarily the best option. I'd be out in month 1 at this point since I still haven't gotten too close to my college PR (one of the few PRs I still want to break.)

Maybe go off of the fastest 5k run in 2010 as the starting point instead of a PR?

Run to Win
            25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)