ultimate runner's test...... (Read 4097 times)

MrH

If that is right then I am amazed as it would make them almost as quick as that girl from England!!!! How do you propose to make the Kenyan women quicker? Should they be walking more?
    English girls adopt a very advanced training regime involving a lot of walking in white court shoes. Very strenuous on the feet and hence their advantage over Kenyan women who go barefoot or wear expensive "free" shoes made by Nike.

The process is the goal.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call Destiny.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Speaking of which, I wonder what Bar Rafaeli is up to.
      Yes, we need photos of her running in heels as compared to barefoot...

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

This whole argument of holding the torso still, and stationary arms to minimize energy expenditure, is rubbish. If you dont let them move naturally, then you are working the muscles isometrically trying to oppose the movement. Plus you'd probably look foolish doing that, inviting more assorted things be thrown at you from passersby. I have another great idea myself, how about learning to run on all four limbs, that way no rotation of upper body, no wasting energy moving hands. I should patent this.

Half Fanatic #846

I have another great idea myself, how about learning to run on all four limbs, that way no rotation of upper body, no wasting energy moving hands. I should patent this.
          LOL - Yes!!. And you too can become famously entertaining in a very anonymous way. Well, for a short time anyway...

"I don't always roll a joint, but when I do, it's usually my ankle" - unk.         "Frankly autocorrect, I'm getting a bit tired of your shirt".                  I ran half my last race on my left foot!                                  

Apologies for not finding your research questions earlier. I am very interested in improving my running speed by 20% and would love to know how to do it.
            Slinky, The biomechanics must be improved by proper swing and distribution of the hips. I'd be glad to demonstrate this with... I mean on... I mean to you. 9:30 tonight at my place? Bring the blue tights. Trust me it will help.

sport jester

Biomimeticist

To your arm swing question, yes that will be integrated as you pick up speed. But the question is why you need it. The reasons for the linear walking is to introduce you to the idea that if both legs move in equal motion then there's nothing out of balance in need of countering. At 7MPH I can walk or run with absolutely no arm swing. As stated earlier, if your forward propulsion is within the realms of the weaker leg determining your peak speed, then no arm swing is necessary. Once your speed becomes reliant upon the stronger leg and the weaker leg works more efficiently to keep up, then that differential will require arm swing. The question isn't if you need arm swing, but at what speed you need arm swing.

Experts said the world is flat

Experts said that man would never fly

Experts said we'd never go to the moon

Name me one of those "experts"...

History never remembers the name of experts; just the innovators who had the guts to challenge and prove the "experts" wrong

Feedin trolls since 1997

Ok, so here’s my post: In doing a lot of research in running biomechanics, I’m truly puzzled by why nobody questions why they run the way they do. So to play this game, I’m posting the following to find out how you think about some basic questions that I asked myself. ========================================================================================== The above questions are really about strength training and how little is known about combining strength and speed in athletes. In the quest to becoming a better runner and having a better understanding of how we run, and what makes us vulnurable to injury, which is my primary goal.
                Jester, I question why I run the way I run. Can you help me get faster? I'm rather heavy set and do not have access to a treadmill. Thanks in advance
                sport jester

Biomimeticist

Hey Panda, start by becoming a more efficient walker. Larger humans tend to induce more forward lean in their walking posture. Injury points are common with the big toe of the foot and lower back. Also Plantar Fasciitis is an isue to larger size. A few pages back in this post I gave the basic instruction to walking on a tape line of one foot in front of the other. Give that a try and write to tell me if you notice how much more upright you have to hold your posture to walk this way. Try the tape lesson and tell me how it works with you

History never remembers the name of experts; just the innovators who had the guts to challenge and prove the "experts" wrong

Think Whirled Peas

I would try the tape lesson, but all I have are 8-tracks. Will they work?

Just because running is simple does not mean it is easy.

Relentless. Forward. Motion. <repeat>

sport jester

Biomimeticist

For you eight track will work, Especially considering you're better known for using duct tape on your dates

Think Whirled Peas

I don't duct tape my dates, but I do staple my bananas.

Just because running is simple does not mean it is easy.

Relentless. Forward. Motion. <repeat>

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

If you stapled your bananas naked like humans did for millenia, you could staple them a lot faster.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Why are track events held counterclockwise in running? The reason track events are held counterclockwise is because of basic human anatomy. Most of a persons heavier organs are located on there left side. This means it is much more biomechanically efficient to turn and lean to the left. Try it yourself, see what is easier. Running in small circles to the left or right.
                            protoplasm72

If you stapled your bananas naked like humans did for millenia, you could staple them a lot faster.
                              This is the first post I read in this thread and I'm a little scared. I'm not even going to try to figure out what has been going on in the past 23 pages.

Son, when you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose; it's how drunk you get. -- Homer Simpson

Teresadfp

One day at a time

This is the first post I read in this thread and I'm a little scared. I'm not even going to try to figure out what has been going on in the past 23 pages.
                                Smart move. Except for the humor, it was a waste of time.