Competitive Jerks Racing and Training - 2023 (Read 574 times)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Krash hit on this a little bit regarding adjusting pill intake for weather, but how much caffeine is in this stuff? I've done runs where I'll take 4+ pills. I don't know how well caffeine would sit in my stomach on a super hot day where I'm taking a lot of pills.

Also as he said, don't over think it. They're all basically the same.

Here are some options I have found, which the SaltStick is what JMac suggested. They both are swallowed in pill form with a sip of water. No extra sugar and are more versatile to take on a run. I like to squirt water on myself from my hydration bladder while running so I can't put something that dissolves into a drink in it. They all have different combinations so it is kind of hard to decide which one would be best. I kind of like the idea of the SaltSticks with the caffeine added to help me drink less soft drinks since I'm not a coffee drinker.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

JMac11

RIP Milkman

He isn’t even qualified yet. Might take him three more marathons to get in.

I'd love nothing more than Keen to run a 2:4X soon!

I was actually thinking on my brutally slow recovery hobby jogs  that I'm not qualified for NYC in 2024. But I realized I did sneak in that NYC Half back in March before shit hit the fan. So technically I could run it since that's a fully guaranteed entry. More likely though I'll be there to cheer you guys on from Brooklyn when everyone is still feeling like "maybe today is my day" 

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Resident Historian

Rehab Update (Quad Tendon reattached June 1): 9 weeks in now. Overall it's going well. Ditched full the leg brace at 6 weeks. I can walk normally now, and do 2-3 mile walks with the dog. But I can only bend the knee to 90⁰ so far; I can't run until I improve that. So I'm doing 100's of reps per day of various exercises to extend the bend. Also, regular strengthe work in the gym and at home. But I can't get enough activity, I've gained 14 pounds (6.5 kg) since the accident. Whaddya mean I should eat less? I fall slightly on the "eat to live" side of that scale, but I do rely on the running to keep the weight down. 

I had been thinking I'd head up to Sacramento in December to spectate CIM and meet the crew running there. But we now have travel planned, so I'll try to connect with another set for forumites -- we'll be in New Zealand from Nov 8 to Dec. 7. Plan is to work our way from north (Paihia) to south (Queenstown). More details to come...

Dave -- Big breakthrough with the half. Are you still thinking of the full on the same course?

Flavio - 30 min at 10k -- nice workout (or your 10k pace is soft?) You're on the right track for Valencia.

Enjoy the trip back to Brazil!

Keen -- So 100 mile weeks are good for healing ankle problems... who knew!

Fishy -- Great consistency. Yes, the wanna be paces will come back when the temps come down. 

RP -- C'mon, you know you want to run CIM, get it rolling! 

Mikkey -- Already starting the "sandbagger" cry for Keen's NYCM 2024? There's a lot of weeks to go for that, but... ok, the same thought crossed my mind. 

CAL -- Sorry about that arm "thing", hope it will recover gradually. Good to "see" you back training!

JMac - Hobby jogs count! Hang in there!

Neil

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I'm here to tell you that fast is better. I've always believed this, in spite of the trouble it's caused me. - Hunter S. Thompson

DavePNW

Dave -- Big breakthrough with the half. Are you still thinking of the full on the same course?

Yep, that’s the current plan—9/16.

Dave

shouldbedeleted

Keen - woah, I remember you listed what you'd eat in a day, at the time I estimated it around 2500 calories a day, did the move to 100 miles require you to up that consumption ? 4k calories in a day is nearly impossible without cheating with liquid calories.

FYI even if the vdot app syncs an easy run with prescribed pace, you can simply opt out of the workout in your watch.

RP - no, I'm done with chasing streets for a while.

Longboat - thanks for the update, it sounds like things are moving in the right direction, and I applaud you for your dedication to the rehab program.

mmerkle

Andy You could be neglecting hamstrings but sometimes things just get sore and that's that. It's what happens when you push yourself. Very often it's my calves that get sore. I think it's partially because I use my calves a lot when running. Maybe it's a strength issue too?

RP I can almost assure you my sister won't be running any marathons. She hates running. As does the rest of my family. Hence the anti talent. Also, CIM is far away. You're allowed to have some down time and run more by feel. Marathon Scott will be back.

Electrolytes "Salt" doesn't just mean sodium. Magnesium and potassium are also "salts" and you lose all 3 when you sweat. Therefore it's important that you replace those too. You lose them in a certain ratio, and that ratio is the ratio LMNT has which is why I like that supplement.

Commander You don't like eating that much lol? Maybe this sounds naive but I wish I could eat that much. I tend to have a hell of an appetite and if anything struggle to control myself. I guess I "live to eat"... and drink beer.

Longboat Thanks for the update. I hope the recovery continues to go well.

JMac Glad you seem to be bouncing back.

Steve Sorry to hear about the bad luck there. But there will be plenty of races in the future. Keep up the good work.

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

JMac - No plans on perhaps just hobby jogging in a 2:5x with those of us who show up at the big party next year?
                My oldest would be more than willing to help with babysitting.

Longboat - I'm glad to read about your continued recovery. It certainly sounds like you're putting in a ton of work. That can't be easy, and it's certainly commendable.

Flavio - 2,500 calories is my BMR plus a sedentary level of activity throughout the day for me. 3,000 is probably the lowest I burn on a day (Sunday, short recovery run), while today (long workout plus easy double) I may be close to 5,000. It's incredibly difficult getting that many good calories in, but dairy (I really like full fat, unsweetened, fermented Icelandic or Greek yogurts) plus a scoop of protein powder or so and a bunch of blueberries is one of my most dense calorie/nutrition sources.

I do "skip" pretty much every run on my watch other than workouts, but it still irks me a bit that they flag my "workout accuracy" as really low when I'm running 9:30/mi or slower on a midday recovery run instead of 8:35 or faster.

Merkle - It does get to be a bit of a chore, and most people who learn that seem a bit annoyed with me over it.
                DW: I ate 1,300 calories today. 
                Me: What did you eat for the other two meals of the day? Any snacks?

DW: 

ETA: DW's reaction.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

November 2  - Crossroads Marathon

JoshWolf

Part of TLC

Trouble getting in enough healthy calories? I recommend snacking on different kinds of nuts throughout the day. Peanuts, almonds, cashews, that kind of thing. Healthy unsaturated fats, plenty of protein, good mix of minerals like zinc and Selene. Lots of calories too.

With my wife as my pace guide I managed a few runs with an average HR below 140. Things are looking up. Great to read that that's true for Longboat, too.

Don't hurry - next AG will start 2026

Running Problem

Problem Child

I'd love nothing more than Keen to run a 2:4X soon!

I was actually thinking on my brutally slow recovery hobby jogs  that I'm not qualified for NYC in 2024. But I realized I did sneak in that NYC Half back in March before shit hit the fan. So technically I could run it since that's a fully guaranteed entry. More likely though I'll be there to cheer you guys on from Brooklyn when everyone is still feeling like "maybe today is my day" 

You could spectate keen and I in our battle…and post reports from the course. Even if you didn’t PR or race it you should do it. Treat it as a goal with current recovery to get ready for another race. Never know…it might take that long for you to break 3  again.

Also…why does he get to run 2:4x before me?

longboat good for you working on the recovery so much.

mmerkle yeah I know CIM and I’ve done it on a 12 week cycle. I would just REALLY like to rip off a 2:50 there.  Even if it’s well outside my reach right now.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Mikkey -- Already starting the "sandbagger" cry for Keen's NYCM 2024? There's a lot of weeks to go for that, but... ok, the same thought crossed my mind. 

I still find it so funny that this thread is called the “Competitive Jerks” as I remember the original thread from Runnersworld and this is just laughable in comparison.   

The OP is looking to improve his marathon time by 3min after 2 years of consistent high mileage…Jesus wept. 🤦🏻

I’m gutted that you aren’t able to make it to Sacramento as it would’ve been so cool to meet up with you!  Wishing you make a full recovery and get back running again. 👍

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Running Problem

Problem Child

Krash hit on this a little bit regarding adjusting pill intake for weather, but how much caffeine is in this stuff? I've done runs where I'll take 4+ pills. I don't know how well caffeine would sit in my stomach on a super hot day where I'm taking a lot of pills.

Also as he said, don't over think it. They're all basically the same.

Not being a smartass...just pointing things out.

If you look at the picture of the Roctane bottle it says NO CAFFEINE on it. It's actually large enough to see.

Salt stick has 30mg.

Hammer Nutrition Endurance Electrolytes says nothing about caffeine.

This is probably the same amount of caffeine you'd get  from drinking coke/soda/red bull on race day at an aid station.

also....if you have a headache maybe consider taking some type of NSAID instead of drinking water.

keen FIVE THOUSAND CALORIES A DAY?!?!?!?!?!? bro....have a cheeseburger or two. With fries. Also some ice cream. Maybe a jar o mayonaise before bed.

Have you considered a casin protein shake before bed? Back in the days of body building it was a slow digesting protein you'd drink before bed so you don't wake up as hungry, and also a good muscle builder. You could also take a weight gainer. Again, back to the 1g/lb protein daily intake in addition to other foods. Some times it's just too hard to eat as much as you need.

Your reply to DW....classic. /

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Mikkey seems to think I'm seriously setting a goal time for a marathon that I don't a qualifier for, and  that's 15+ months away. lolwut.

Josh - I will absolutely destroy some pecans, macadamias, or walnuts (my three favorites). That actually makes it way TOO easy to get a high calorie count, since the more of those I eat the more I tend to want to eat. Viscious cycle.

RP - I haven't tried casein, I'll look in to that. Right now 1gram protein / pound of body weight is child's play.

Upcoming Races:

mmerkle

Merkle - It does get to be a bit of a chore, and most people who learn that seem a bit annoyed with me over it.
                            DW: I ate 1,300 calories today. 
                            Me: What did you eat for the other two meals of the day? Any snacks?

DW: 

ETA: DW's reaction.

By the time you have 3 or 4 Natty Boh's and 2-3 crab cakes that's about 1000 calories right there. And here in Maryland that's just breakfast!

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

By the time you have 3 or 4 Natty Boh's and 2-3 crab cakes that's about 1000 calories right there. And here in Maryland that's just breakfast!

I LOVE eggs Baltimore.

Upcoming Races:

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Marathon Moose Mug Pie

“This pie is guaranteed to make you run faster and longer” - Mikkey

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)