Competitive Jerks Racing and Training - 2023 (Read 574 times)

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Mikkey seems to think I'm seriously setting a goal time for a marathon that I don't a qualifier for, and  that's 15+ months away. lolwut.

You literally said 2:52 and I actually believe you. 

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Will NYC eventually be like SF?  Is it also being run by clowns?

Should Rudy Giuliani become NYC Mayor again?  I’m all ears. 

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Marathon Moose Mug Pie

“This pie is guaranteed to make you run faster and longer” - Mikkey

I don't check the thread for a few days, and I come back and it's now the food channel....

Related but still random observation - I grew up in Maryland, as did my partner, and so there's always a tin of Old Bay in our pantry.  But have never heard of eggs Baltimore.  Are those just eggs with Old Bay on top?  If so, I just call those "eggs."

Another tangent - MMerkle- is your family OK?  I saw that Carroll County got hit badly by that storm Monday night - as I recall, your family lives around there.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Half Crazy K 2.0

Are eggs Baltimore like Eggs Bendict but with a crab crab? I've seen it at breakfast places, English muffin topped with a MD crab cake, poacjed egg and Hollandaise saucce. Old Bay on scrambled eggs is good too.

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Are eggs Baltimore like Eggs Bendict but with a crab crab? I've seen it at breakfast places, English muffin topped with a MD crab cake, poacjed egg and Hollandaise saucce. Old Bay on scrambled eggs is good too.

This is exactly what it is - crab cakes (hopefully proper lump crab cakes without a bunch of cracker filler) instead of an English muffin.

Though Old Bay (we also perpetually have a tin in the cupboard) on eggs is delicious.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

November 2  - Crossroads Marathon

Mr MattM

Ah, the familiar names!  This is yet another random drop-in to see what's going on...

Quick catch-up on me:  After mangling my big toe during an early morning run almost 8 years ago, I finally went under the knife to get it fixed.  Since the big toe joint was mangled and had no remaining cartilage, the fix was to fuse the bones so I no longer have a functioning big toe joint.  Now, I just have titanium, screws, and a long, solid toe bone that does not move.  I had the surgery in February, but my body rejected the sutures so once they were removed the incision reopened.  That sucked.  The skin turned black where the sutures were, and I had to go in every week for a 'debridement' (scraping off dead tissue) for several months.  It was nearly 4 months before I was cleared to run again.  Since June 24th, I have only missed two days running.  Yep!  Yippee!  I have run 45 of the past 47 days!  My longest run is 10 miles and my fastest mile is only in the 8s, but at least I can run again...

I have signed up for a November marathon, but I'll just do it as a long training run.  I won't be able to race anything seriously for at least a year, considering where I'm starting from.

So, what's been happening around here?

be curious; not judgmental

shouldbedeleted

Keen - Yeah my BMR is very similar. The issue with consuming that many calories is also doing it in a way that won't stress your GI system.
                I suppose you can consume an average amount of calories with a little extra before/after the big days.
                I wish I could source some real greek yoghurt locally, you know that one that if you turn the spoon upside down it won't fall out.
                But I do consume quite a bit of greek yoghurt and kefir.

DW - This is the competitive jerks thread and now Mikkey has upped the ante and cooking skills are also needed.

Each forumite is now expected to also demonstrate their cooking skills via pictures 😁

MattM - I have you tagged as "that dude who played the guitar really well" for some reason.

I'm happy to hear of some progress after so many painful months.

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Ah, the familiar names!  This is yet another random drop-in to see what's going on...

Quick catch-up on me:  After mangling my big toe during an early morning run almost 8 years ago, I finally went under the knife to get it fixed.  Since the big toe joint was mangled and had no remaining cartilage, the fix was to fuse the bones so I no longer have a functioning big toe joint.  Now, I just have titanium, screws, and a long, solid toe bone that does not move.  I had the surgery in February, but my body rejected the sutures so once they were removed the incision reopened.  That sucked.  The skin turned black where the sutures were, and I had to go in every week for a 'debridement' (scraping off dead tissue) for several months.  It was nearly 4 months before I was cleared to run again.  Since June 24th, I have only missed two days running.  Yep!  Yippee!  I have run 45 of the past 47 days!  My longest run is 10 miles and my fastest mile is only in the 8s, but at least I can run again...

I have signed up for a November marathon, but I'll just do it as a long training run.  I won't be able to race anything seriously for at least a year, considering where I'm starting from.

So, what's been happening around here?

That’s great news and who would’ve thought that a problem toe would be such an issue with running. 45 runs in 47 days is very good progress even if it’s shorter easy runs. 👍   What marathon are you running and what is your signature dish?

I’m heading to San Francisco in December which I heard is the dream destination!  In between I’m Greyhounding up to Sacramento to run CIM which will be my first marathon in 20 months and finally having a head to head race with my buddy Calbears

Running Problem

Problem Child

Mikkey The rules for SF and NYC are the same. I find it amusing to watch their problems from afar. Migrant problem? Homeless problem? Work from home problem? Cost of living problem driving people out of the cities? Funny how housing a bunch of people in stadiums and hotels in Vegas is a solution, then it isn't good enough when it hits YOUR hotels.

As long as the Mayor of NYC is corrupt and uses their power for their personal gain I'd say they're qualified to hold the position. Party doesn't matter. Same with San Francisco.

You're taking a greyhound? Oh man....I don't envy you.

https://turo.com/us/en/car-rental/united-states/san-francisco-ca

maybe this would work. Just go 70 mph on the freeway to San Francisco. Stop by the Budweiser Factory if you want to see a giant building with a bunch of bottle filling machines.

Bring a nice jacket to stay warm too. SF in winter gets windy, cold, foggy, and popular.

keen I don't even count calories, or protein. I just eat. Maybe try getting some more Chipotle in your system.

eggs Are we swapping recipes? I try to buy 15 dozen at a time so I don't run out. It's like beer. They really don't go bad, it's always good to have some on hand, and they fit in the fridge so why NOT have them? Also, two boys put down 5-6 eggs scrambled almost no problem. Dad likes to make himself a McToast sandwich if he remembers.

Old Bay sounds like a deodorant.

MrMatt Did your running form change when you had the big to fused together?

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Mikkey The rules for SF and NYC are the same. I find it amusing to watch their problems from afar. Migrant problem? Homeless problem? Work from home problem? Cost of living problem driving people out of the cities? Funny how housing a bunch of people in stadiums and hotels in Vegas is a solution, then it isn't good enough when it hits YOUR hotels.

As long as the Mayor of NYC is corrupt and uses their power for their personal gain I'd say they're qualified to hold the position. Party doesn't matter. Same with San Francisco.

You're taking a greyhound? Oh man....I don't envy you.

https://turo.com/us/en/car-rental/united-states/san-francisco-ca

maybe this would work. Just go 70 mph on the freeway to San Francisco. Stop by the Budweiser Factory if you want to see a giant building with a bunch of bottle filling machines.

Bring a nice jacket to stay warm too. SF in winter gets windy, cold, foggy, and popular.

I was planning to get the greyhound on the morning before CIM which is estimating 2 hours? Then head straight to expo before checking in to my hotel. 

There’s no way I’d rent a car in America and start driving on the wrong side of the road…that would end in disaster! 

mmerkle

Mr MattM Glad to hear about the progress. That must feel great.

dw Thanks for checking in. Everyone is fine but the power was out for two days which is annoying obviously.

Commander I must try this Eggs Baltimore dish. That sounds amazing, I can't believe I haven't had that before.

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

The MSM in UK are making a big deal about a floating ship to house up to 500 “immigrants” (all young males) in Dorset and the loon left lawyers are protesting that they’re not being treated humanely even though there’s a 24 hour restaurant and a gym. Meanwhile a lot of the war veterans in UK are being neglected. You couldn’t make this shit up. 

shouldbedeleted

Mikkey - Greyhound gives me chills, I took only one of their buses in my life and the experience was horrendous.

Jmac - I'm happy to see a few of your runs lately.

me - I have nearly no jet lag, I've read somewhere that jet lag is minor when traveling west and it seems to be true.

I ran through some of my old stomping grounds yesterday and today, it feels cozy and familiar running on these routes.

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Mikkey - Greyhound gives me chills, I took only one of their buses in my life and the experience was horrendous.

I’m curious to know what you mean by that?  What happened that gave you the chills?

I find taking any public transport horrendous now and I’m immune to it. But is there something about the Greyhound that I should know about?  Should I wear a cross chain around my neck?

Marky_Mark_17

I approve of public transport because it takes cars off the roads, making them quieter and faster for me to drive on.

Seriously though public transport in Auckland is terrible, even if I wanted to catch the bus to work I would have to walk 2km, catch 1 bus, then switch to another bus to get to work.

Or drive 6km to the ferry and pay way too much for a 45 minute commute, if the ferry actually arrives and doesn't get cancelled.

Drive takes me 20-25 minutes in no traffic and no longer than 45 minutes as long as I don't travel right in the middle of peak hour.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Runway5 / National 5k Champs, 16:22, National Masters AG Champ!

Up next: Still working on that...

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"