Competitive Jerks Racing and Training - 2023 (Read 574 times)

DavePNW

Will NYC eventually be like SF?  Is it also being run by clowns?

Should Rudy Giuliani become NYC Mayor again?  I’m all ears. 

There is currently no bigger clown in America than Rudy Giuliani.

Dave

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

I remember reading an article and it was praising him for his no nonsense approach to crime when he was Mayor and his handling of 9/11. 

Anyway, I’m more concerned about the Greyhound up to Sacramento now!

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

shouldbedeleted

Anyway, I’m more concerned about the Greyhound up to Sacramento now!

I can only speak about the one bus I took from Manhattan to New Jersey. The bus was a tin can, the seats were dirty, the driver was incredibly rude and drove like a maniac. Maybe I'm not remembering well and it was not a Greyhound though.

Mark - Then surely you're in favor of home office since that clears the road you travel even more 😁 (I'm teasing of course, you have already said your piece about it 😁)

Also, holy shit, a 45 minute comute, I'm not sure why I'm shocked as that's pretty standard, but anything is too much when compared to mine 😎

Mr MattM

Flavio1980  - I do play guitar reasonably well!

Mikkey - I'm running the Flying Monkey Marathon in Nashville and my signature dish is Pho bo.  Enjoy the Cali races!  Run well!

Running Problem - My gait has changed as a result of the surgery.  That's one of the main obstacles and the main reason I'm having to progress slowly.

mmerkle - Thanks!  It is good to be running again, and mostly pain-free!

I was once a competitive jerk, and hope to be again one day!  The good news is, the older I get, the easier my moose mug time becomes...

be curious; not judgmental

Running Problem

Problem Child

I was planning to get the greyhound on the morning before CIM which is estimating 2 hours? Then head straight to expo before checking in to my hotel. 

There’s no way I’d rent a car in America and start driving on the wrong side of the road…that would end in disaster! 

It could work, but I highly doubt it would be a 2 hour trip. They have ONE for this weekend showing 2 hours, and since I've never taken a Greyhound bus I don't know how accurate their predictions are. I'd plan on it taking 3 hours.

You're in California, and as a California native who has recently hit the inflection point of living there vs ruining another state I can tell you you'd fit in fine. According to 49 states no one in California knows how to drive. Just go 10 over the speed limit, don't use turn signals because they're a sign of weakness and announce your motives to the competition, and type the address into Google/Apple maps. Once you get about 100ft from your exit slam on the brakes or smash the skinny pedal and crank the wheel hard right to make your exit. Simple. Oh and you're allowed to smoke, drink water, fidget with the radio, and hand your passengers items LEGALLY in the vehicle. I once heard London's "hands free" law is more "two hands on the wheel except when you're smoking" from a resident of the city. Blew my mind he could get a ticket for drinking water while driving.

There might not be a bigger clown, BUT there are bigger jokes in America than Rudy. 

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

AndyTN

Overweight per CDC BMI

It could work, but I highly doubt it would be a 2 hour trip. They have ONE for this weekend showing 2 hours, and since I've never taken a Greyhound bus I don't know how accurate their predictions are. I'd plan on it taking 3 hours.

But how long would Mikkey last before they kick him off the bus for taunting the other riders because they don't have a Moose Mug?

Memphis / 38 male

5k - 20:39 / 10k - 43:48 / Half - 1:34:47 / Full - 3:38:10

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

There might not be a bigger clown, BUT there are bigger jokes in America than Rudy. 

Joe Biden is surely a contender.

I took a Greyhound from Milwaukee to Chicago in 2016 and it was fine.  I was very nervous we might break down in some of the outer suburbs of Chicago though.

5km: 18:34 11/23 β”‚ 10km: 39:10 8/23 β”‚ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 β”‚ M: 3:29:54 6/24

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024 1:27:34

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024 DNF

Wellington Marathon June 23, 2024 3:29:54

Hagley Park Run July 20, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

Timaru Ten October 26, 2024

mmerkle

Mr MattM Being a competitive jerk is a mindset. You could still be one. Hope you stick around.

RP Nope. Nuh uh, no one is worse than MARYLAND DRIVERS. I need Dw to back me on this one. Their aggression would amaze you. Just imagine if everyone drove as if their car had some giant spikes or maybe a plow on the front and nothing could ever hurt them. Ok good now image that on TOP of that, all of those same people are either hammered or on heroin and also they think the world is ending tomorrow.

shouldbedeleted

But how long would Mikkey last before they kick him off the bus for taunting the other riders because they don't have a Moose Mug?

πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

Mmerkle - You clearly have never seen any video showing Southeast Asia drivers 😁

I bet the Maryland drivers at least drive on the correct side of the road....

Running Problem

Problem Child

Mr MattM Being a competitive jerk is a mindset. You could still be one. Hope you stick around.

RP Nope. Nuh uh, no one is worse than MARYLAND DRIVERS. I need Dw to back me on this one. Their aggression would amaze you. Just imagine if everyone drove as if their car had some giant spikes or maybe a plow on the front and nothing could ever hurt them. Ok good now image that on TOP of that, all of those same people are either hammered or on heroin and also they think the world is ending tomorrow.

A classic ‘you’ll move’ driving style. This is the final stage after Blinker 123. The ‘you’ll move’ is where you’re not concerned about your vehicle since you know the other driver will move.  Not to be confused with the December ‘Yuletide’ driving style in which everyone lets everyone do everything and cheer is spread like ice and DUIs.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Half Crazy K 2.0

Maryland drivers are insane. In Baltimore City, red lights are merely a suggestion. I tend to count to 3 when I get a green light to avoid being t=boned by the folks running the red light. I also have seen people approach a red light, pause & continue on, or go into the oppsoing lane to run the red light,We've lived in the same placec for 23 years. Until the pandemic, there were 2 close calls of people missing the turn and nearly winding up in our back yard. We had 3 in a year after the pandemic started actually wind up in our backyard one got a free ride to jail for DWI. He also called one of the arresting officecrs a bitch and II think he also dropped the n-word too. If you are wondering how this happens, our back yard ends at a T intersection from the other roads. There is a stop sign where you have to go right or left. These drivers blow throughh the stop sign & typically don't even brake before going over our curb (security camera pointed that way).

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Once a competitive jerk, always a competitive jerk, right?

Suburban Maryland driver in a BMW FTW (which I guess is actually FTL).    I-270 is always a joy to drive.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

darkwave

Mother of Cats

OTOH, Virginia is definitely trying to make its own name in the insane driver world.

BREAKING: Numerous crashes block I-395 after tractor trailer hit-and-run suspect steals Arlington ambulance | ARLnow.com

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Marky_Mark_17

Flavio - love that eagle emoji.

Got my first trail race win this morning so that was definitely the highlight of the week!  Course wasn't particularly technical, but lots of sandy sections so those were hard work, especially the uphills.  There is an experienced trail runner who has been minutes ahead in every race of the series so far and he went out pretty quick early on.  I kept it pretty conservative but noticed around halfway that I was gaining on him going up a long climb.  I wasn't working especially hard up the hill, but most of the hills on this course were long, gradual climbs on gravel roads so I was able to find a good rhythm.  I passed him partway up the longest of the climbs and wondered if he'd just backed off a bit for the hills and would pass me again later on.  I kept it pretty conservative on the uphills and the more technical trail sections and tried to take advantage of the downhills and was just able to keep a nice rhythm up (apart from stopping at one point where the course got slightly confusing... lucky I took the right path!).  Through the massive mud puddle with 2km to go, and after that it's all downhill / flat... a cheeky look back helped me to figure I had at least a minute as he wasn't in sight so I didn't need to push it and came home in first!  Was stoked to get my first trail race win especially as I've been several minutes behind that guy in every race of the series so far.  IDK maybe he was having an off day but I'll take it.  Probably can't call myself a trail rookie any more now.

It was the most enjoyable course so far and not just because of the result.  Some great ocean views from the top of the hill and a fun mix of trail, gravel road and 4WD track with nothing too technical.  I was surprised how quick the pace ended up being but it seemed much easier to maintain a rhythm for much of that course.

Weekly for period: From: 07/08/2023 To 13/08/2023

<caption>Weekly Grid</caption>
                              Date Name mi km Duration Avg/mi Avg/km Elevation Gain
                              in m
                              07/08 That run with more glorious fog 4.48 7.22 00:32:38 07:17 04:31 7
                              08/08 That run where it probably shouldn’t have been that quick, but it was 9.97 16.04 01:06:06 06:38 04:07 22
                              09/08 That run where Siamese Dream is 30 years old 8.10 13.04 00:51:27 06:21 03:57 59
                              10/08 That run with a steady cruise and the pesty westerly 9.95 16.01 01:02:55 06:19 03:56 26
                              12/08 That run where it was short and sharp because tomorrow’s gonna be long and slow 4.42 7.11 00:27:52 06:18 03:55 8
                              13/08 Warm up 0.64 1.02 00:04:54 07:39 04:48 4
                              13/08 Xterra Waiuku, long course πŸ₯‡ 11.47 18.46 01:25:07 07:25 04:37 429

Totals: Time: 05:30:59 - πŸ¦…Imperial: 49.03 mi - Metric: 78.89 km

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Runway5 / National 5k Champs, 16:22, National Masters AG Champ!

Up next: Still working on that...

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

DavePNW

Marky - congrats on the W! I still have little interest in trails, and this course description did not do much to change that. What’s your overall plan on road vs trails? How much do you need to adjust your training?

Dave