Competitive Jerks Racing and Training - 2023 (Read 574 times)

Marky_Mark_17

Mark - I suppose those championship races are fine so long as you're focusing on placement rather than time. It seems to me championships are rarely a good chance to PR. That said, you've got to be very fast to be aiming for the top places, here in Portugal the dudes are running low 14 minutes for 5ks on these races LOL, and low 16s for the over 50 males.

IDK I wouldn't say that. I've PBed at National Champs a couple times.  The regional champs often don't have very deep fields but National Champs you can normally bank on having some other runners to work with.  Early afternoon in the middle of winter here is generally pretty good in terms of conditions if the weather is clear, and it really comes down to the course more than anything else.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Runway5 / National 5k Champs, 16:22, National Masters AG Champ!

Up next: Still working on that...

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Mark - I think if I qualified for selection on time, and was in the top 3, I'd just have to go regardless of course, especially early in an age category.  Nationals for me would really just be to soak in the experience as realistically I'd need to be running about 35-36 mins when I'm over 50 to be a contender.

Mikkey - Your training must be going well with all the trash talk.  Although come to think of it, not training has never stopped you before 

Flavio - Not surprised you're feeling it.  Could be worth a down week?

Keen - What's your mileage goal?  Annoying that those pesky races bring the average down.  Thanks for the kind words, seems you were also on the money with your prediction about sub 40 being likely even on just a decent day.  I do think it was a good day, and the best time I was capable of on the day.  The more I think about it, the less I think the GPS changed the final result.

Can you please add Hagley Park Run 5km on September 16?  My coach wants some more speed the week before the race.  I'll have to chat to him about whether it's safe to go all out for that 18:30 I wanted when I had to DNS 3 weeks ago.  I think it's safe to target 18:52 though (PR).  It would be nice to add the year 2023 to another PR if possible, then go for the set in Melbourne.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:29:54 6/24

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024 1:27:34

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024 DNF

Wellington Marathon June 23, 2024 3:29:54

Hagley Park Run July 20, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

Timaru Ten October 26, 2024

shouldbedeleted

IDK I wouldn't say that. I've PBed at National Champs a couple times.  The regional champs often don't have very deep fields but National Champs you can normally bank on having some other runners to work with.  Early afternoon in the middle of winter here is generally pretty good in terms of conditions if the weather is clear, and it really comes down to the course more than anything else.

New Zealand is truly blessed when it comes to weather and championships/race organizers.

Here in Portugal there are very few races during winter. I've seen some race calendars and your average regional or national age group champs are gonna be on warm days, sometimes at some idiotic time like 10am or 4pm. Even regular races are run at those stupid times.

Also, odds are if the race is on the roads it's gonna be quite hilly.

To top it all, you are required to perform a full cardiovascular checkup (I had to pay 65 euros for that) in order to be eligible to compete in these championships and they're always in some god forsaken small place which is hard to get to (/rant LOL)

Steve - Yup, in fact this is going to be a down week volume wise.

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Steve - Board updated.
          My goal is 4,065 miles, 1 mile more than last year. I think it would be nice to say I ran more miles each year for the first decade I was a runner, because that has to give at some point.
          I do find that races tend to get in the way of some really good training. Annoying, that.

Winter races - I do wish we had more of those around, as they're few and far between.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

July 4  - Firecracker 5k

mmerkle

Training Question: I know the hay is mostly in the barn at this point, but tomorrow is 10 days out, meaning my last chance to benefit from the tempo or VO2 max range. Should I do some MP work, or more tempo work? I'm torn. I'm leaning towards tempo since MP work is more about dialing in the pace and I can do that later in the week. Another part of me thinks tempo isn't too important at this point, and I should focus on freshening up.

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Training Question: I know the hay is mostly in the barn at this point, but tomorrow is 10 days out, meaning my last chance to benefit from the tempo or VO2 max range. Should I do some MP work, or more tempo work? I'm torn. I'm leaning towards tempo since MP work is more about dialing in the pace and I can do that later in the week. Another part of me thinks tempo isn't too important at this point, and I should focus on freshening up.

A final tempo run 10 days out has been one of my staples. Maybe even a light tempo (3x mile with double recovery) the Wednesday before a Sunday race just to keep a tiny bit of speed in the legs and work on muscle tension.

Upcoming Races:

July 4  - Firecracker 5k

DavePNW

mmerkle - agree with tempo. For me, 10 days out is 4x1 mile tempo intervals. But also at this point the gains from anything will be minimal, so go with whatever gives you the most confidence. Mainly, the most important thing at this point is to go into your race healthy. So if you're feeling any niggles, you don't want to push anything too hard. Usually - the faster the pace, the better chance of aggravating something.

Dave

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

I’ve always been a tempo intervals fan. 

Looking at my log leading up to my PR marathon…5k race (PR) 15 days out, 17 miler w/3x3tempo 13 days out and a 9 miler w/2x3 tempo 8 days out. Then glory.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Belated chiming in, but one more vote for tempo.  Even just incrementally bumping up your lactate threshold will be very useful for the marathon.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

mmerkle

Thanks all for the input. I think I might go with a light/moderate tempo session followed by strength work since I did 4 X 1 mile tempo on Monday. Commander I do like your idea of doing cruise intervals the week of as a light speed session. Might try that as well.

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Upcoming Races:

July 4  - Firecracker 5k

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

“Everything woke turns to shit”.  Yep!

309 shuffle miles for August.  Rome wasn’t built in a day.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

DavePNW

Dave

CalBears

309 shuffle miles for August.  Rome wasn’t built in a day.

Wow! I should pick up - I only have 190 for August 

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

DavePNW

My August was 301.6, first time cracking 3 in >2 years.

Dave