3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

December Mileage Throw-Down (Read 1970 times)

Nice goal change rocken and enjoy the kayaking between runs.

TeaOlive, yup I am certain you'll be faster down the road (and I reckon you're faster than you think you are too).  Thanks on the "real" front too.

Spaniel, how's the pelvis and the elephant eating? 

kmark, I hope the AT is okay. 

"Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow.  Don't walk behind me; I may not lead.  Just walk beside me and be my friend."

Feeling the growl again

Spaniel, how's the pelvis and the elephant eating?  

More or less pain-free the past 18 hours.

The elephant is chewy...very chewy right now.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Sometimes chewy is good.  It adds interest.

I hope those 18 hours of happier pelvis are a sign of things to come.  Did it have an obvious running-related onset (although I guess that is hard to tell when you're running your current mileage)!

I've just about caught up with where I "should" be if I were aiming to hit this months mileage by running the same mileage each day (which wasn't the aim and I'll be running under that mileage tomorrow, but it's better than being behind that).  Now I just hope I can keep at or ahead of the goal without bad things happening.  My elephant might not be as big as yours (in fact, at most it's a baby elephant that is relatively tender, or, more likely just a sheep that is closer to mutton than lamb) but it's still needing a bit of work on my part (and a refusal to take the easy option of finishing a run early or not running when the weather is crappy or I'm not feeling great).

"Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow.  Don't walk behind me; I may not lead.  Just walk beside me and be my friend."

Feeling the growl again

I hope those 18 hours of happier pelvis are a sign of things to come.  Did it have an obvious running-related onset (although I guess that is hard to tell when you're running your current mileage)!

It was a very odd injury.  No acute cause I can pin other than, you know, trending 20+ miles per day for a week plus.  Rather than around the hip joints as one may expect, it was right in the center where the two halves meet...like a cartilage issue where they join up or something.  I've never even heard of such a thing from running.  Hopefully last night wasn't a fluke and it's gone now...

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

Not that I have no intention of out pacing Spaniel at anytime during this month but everytime I think I have a leg up on him, he just has to go one step further.

Monday - I hit a double for 14, Spaniel has a "recovery" day with a 12 then goes out for another 7.

Tuesday - Think I'm doing pretty good with 10, Spaniel goes an knocks out 11.  I'm sure there will be another run in the future.  I have one planned too.

I feel sorry for CR/Ra.  The dude wants his beer.  Maybe if we throw out some random "beer" carrot for MrPH, he'd be right there too.

Feeling the growl again

Spaniel goes an knocks out 11.  I'm sure there will be another run in the future. 

I figure I'm so close to hitting 150 miles in 7 days (but not an official calendar week, oh well) I figure I might as well make it happen.  Sure as hell won't ever do it again.

L Train

Sure as hell won't ever do it again.

What?  What about January?

Feeling the growl again

What?  What about January?

Baby due then.  Frankly I'm not sure I'd bet on making it until January.  January is time to drop the volume back to a more sane level and try to boost the speed.

I'm leveraging a winter-induced decrease in home/property responsibilities and a December-induced decline in work committments to make this happen.  Any other month of the year this lunacy would be a non-starter.

Prince of Fatness

Maybe if we throw out some random "beer" carrot for MrPH, he'd be right there too.

I'll have to take a picture of my basement stash and post it.  I've got plenty of beer. enough that I am not doing anything stupid.

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/2000somethings/Stats?r=1&e=11&s=1&d=1

Not at it at all. 

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

Oh, and I've found the perfect beer for winning:

That looks like some good stuff. We'll have to plan a Dark Lord Day outing.

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.

I've got plenty of beer.

If that's the case....ROAD TRIP!

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

I'm thinking that since mine fell out a few years back I only have to worry about my dodgy left knee Roll eyes 

And as Hoppity said "Stupidity is fun".  

With in reason of course.  

I think we've left the realm of reason. Wink

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

Thanks MrPH and Rocken...I like the idea of claiming I'm being smart.

ra...see, you've raced lots this year, got some nice PRs and definitely qualify as a runner.  Me, zero races...bimbler extraordinaire and armchair runner, because if I don't race, it isn't real.    I think bimbling is almost more of a mindset not a pace.   Having said that I've been quite dedicated to bimbling and have been trying to be consistent and progress...but it's hard to test that when your head (and sometimes circumstance) doesn't let you progress to actually laying it on the line and racing.  I do think bimbling could be good though, it allows for low pressure in terms of goals and a continuous cycle of running and experimenting with running...but if it's all you do it doesn't really end up as a break from events and a chance to consolidate, it just becomes wimpish.

I'm pretty new to this, but I'm pretty sure you don't need to race to be a runner. I'm sure everyone runs for different reasons.  I like to have a goal race because it gives me something to work toward and some purpose and structure to my training. Running just for the sake of running is just as good if not a better reason than racing.

I started running at the beginning of 2010. This is my second year of running, so setting PRs is pretty easy for now. I've been surprised at how much I've been able to run so far this month. I have a goal 5K race in April and I'm thinking I might really stretch my goal time for this race. I'm wondering if maybe I can go sub 25 min. Not terribly fast for most, but would be a 4 min PR for me.

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

I think we've left the realm of reason. Wink

Yes.  Now I'm feeling a twinge in my left achilles.  Go figure.

steph  

Feeling the growl again

I'm pretty new to this, but I'm pretty sure you don't need to race to be a runner.

I have a goal 5K race in April and I'm thinking I might really stretch my goal time for this race. I'm wondering if maybe I can go sub 25 min. Not terribly fast for most, but would be a 4 min PR for me.

"Runner" is a mentality, not some title you earn by running races etc.  There are people finishing marathons these days that I would not call runners, and people who have never raced that are clearly runners.

Sub-24, you heard it here first.